Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wish I was on April 1st. AT&T always dragging their feet.

I carry around my iPad Pro and Fold, both with nice size screens. I believe I’m going to keep this set up for 3+ years… enjoy having an Android phone.

But you’ll actually upgrade to the Fold 3 based on it having an S-Pen?

Well if I carried an iPad pro, or even my surface pro then I would just keep the regular sized iPhone. The iPad mini 5 was nice in that it fit into my back pocket. Would I upgrade to the F3 just for the S-pen? No I wouldn't, unless they put it in a silo, which most rumors at this point are saying they won't. For the life of me I cannot fathom why anyone would make a phone, or a tablet for that matter, without having a way to silo the pen. But then again most tablets don't have a kickstand either, and that decision baffles me even more.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Tbf, how do you know? It hasn't released.
I think it's based on his own usage of the FOLD 2. Simply not worth it to him. Even though the FOLD 2 can be found at decent prices now I would rather wait and get a FOLD 3. S-Pen support is a huge selling point for me. This will consolidate my Note 20, Kindle and iPad mini.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Tbf, how do you know? It hasn't released.
Tbh, I'm just going off the leaks.. and they seem pretty solid. If you check the reddit Fold forum.. majority is rather disappointed in the Fold 3. Most want a wider front display and better cameras (similar to the S21 Ultra), which the Fold 3 lacks. And owners of the Fold 2 are staying put.

From the Fold 1 to Fold 2... the major upgrade was that front display, that was a compelling reason to upgrade. If Samsung had that mindset and took Huawei Mate X2 approach with a bigger front display, that would of been a winner!

Well if I carried an iPad pro, or even my surface pro then I would just keep the regular sized iPhone.
Well, my iPhone days are over with for the foreseeable future. And I enjoy the bigger display of the Fold as well as Android...but I keep it in a sleeve. And carrying around my iPad Pro is no inconvenience... I've been doing it for years.
For the life of me I cannot fathom why anyone would make a phone, or a tablet for that matter, without having a way to silo the pen.
I think someone mention on this forum that it's more of a money grab... why add a silo to insert an S-Pen when Samsung can make it an add on accessory to charge consumers.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
At this point it’s looking like Android 12 is pretty much a design upgrade… I didn’t see any features that would be great for OneUI.

The only positive out of Google I/O ‘21 is Google partnership with Samsung for Google Wear. This should of happen years ago…

Reactions: Bkdodger

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
At this point it’s looking like Android 12 is pretty much a design upgrade… I didn’t see any features that would be great for OneUI.

The only positive out of Google I/O ‘21 is Google partnership with Samsung for Google Wear. This should of happen years ago…

Word is that One UI 4.0 will look nothing like Android 12s redesign and more of an updated version of One UIs current design.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Word is that One UI 4.0 will look nothing like Android 12s redesign and more of an updated version of One UIs current design.

It’s going to be awhile before we see OneUI 4.0. I’m guessing OneUI 4.0 will come out the beginning of next year. Possibly with the introduction of S22, then trickle down to older Galaxy devices.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Google wear needs major help... Let's see...

I’ve been waiting for a Google Wear OS to hit the Galaxy Watch ever since I bought the Note 10+ two years ago. I wasn’t really feeling Tizen, especially when it didn’t have Google ecosystem behind it.

Quite frankly, the Apple Watch is popular because of the iPhone. Don’t get me wrong… Apple has done an incredible job with implementing all the features for the Apple Watch. But in order for Google Wear to become successful… they need to partner with Samsung for Galaxy devices.

Samsung does well with manufacturing Galaxy Watches, but Tizen just doesn’t get the appeal compared to Google Wear OS. I’ve been patiently waiting for a smart watch to pair with my Fold. Now, the countdown is on for the Fall when Samsung will potentially announce it.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I’ve been waiting for a Google Wear OS to hit the Galaxy Watch ever since I bought the Note 10+ two years ago. I wasn’t really feeling Tizen, especially when it didn’t have Google ecosystem behind it.

Quite frankly, the Apple Watch is popular because of the iPhone. Don’t get me wrong… Apple has done an incredible job with implementing all the features for the Apple Watch. But in order for Google Wear to become successful… they need to partner with Samsung for Galaxy devices.

Samsung does well with manufacturing Galaxy Watches, but Tizen just doesn’t get the appeal compared to Google Wear OS. I’ve been patiently waiting for a smart watch to pair with my Fold. Now, the countdown is on for the Fall when Samsung will potentially announce it.

Totally agree.... Galaxy watches need that in a big way... Hopefully mass updates across the board.. I'm Apple watch regularly I haven't had a reason to change so please make it tempting Google...

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Luckily some Google apps are starting to confirm to OneUI design language. Eg Google Messages app, which is now pre installed AND the default SMS app (instead of Samsung's own sms app) in Galaxy S21 series.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Have had my phone for 1 day now and am loving the new form factor. I don't think I could ever go back to a normal slab phone.

I also don't think I can put a case on this phone. All the cases just seem to ruin the look and feel of the fold 2. Will just risk using it bare.

It will be exciting to see how the fold evolves over time and how each new generation improves on the previous version.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don't think I could ever go back to a normal slab phone.
My thoughts exactly!
I also don't think I can put a case on this phone. All the cases just seem to ruin the look and feel of the fold 2. Will just risk using it bare.
Yeah, I've been using a sleeve for protection. Especially when going out in public... but I need to find another screen protector. Been looking on Amazon, so far the Orzero seems like the popular one to get.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Luckily some Google apps are starting to confirm to OneUI design language. Eg Google Messages app, which is now pre installed AND the default SMS app (instead of Samsung's own sms app) in Galaxy S21 series.
Yeah, I noticed that. Google Message is also implementing a TabletUI... a sidebar or two column layup. Supposedly it's coming soon to the beta... I'm looking forward to trying it out, I wanna switch to Google Messages. But I don't like how it doesn't have a two column layup similar to Samsung Messages.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I am so tempted to order the fold 2 at the new price.

I love the 10x camera on my S21 ultra though. It would be hard to go back.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I am so tempted to order the fold 2 at the new price.

I love the 10x camera on my S21 ultra though. It would be hard to go back.
Yeah if you love the 10x, I would stick with what you have. Love the Fold, but the camera's aren't as good as they should be.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Having used the fold for a few more days I think that the Fold would benefit from a wider front screen. I find the front screen difficult to use due to the narrowness.

Still love the device overall and for me it is the best phone on the market currently.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I like the narrow front since I only use closed on the go quick checks and easier to one hand.. I do see why most would like the increase width.. I'm okay with either... As for cases I just find without a case closing and opening as well as holding easier with the case...

wastedplacidity

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
I got my Z Fold 2 used on Swappa. They're going in Mint condition for under 1K. Unless you can get them new at a similar price. Absolutely love it. Syncing with the Mac isn't near as bad as I thought. Spark for email, chrome for browser, one note for notes, DeX to move files, etc.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Finally made the switch to Google Message... I received the new tabletUI. I'm starting to feel that Google might be more thoughtful in their approach to tablets. Instead, Google making a large phone-size app... optimizing for tabletUI should be the plan going forward.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Enjoyed using the phone with no case for a few weeks now ..BUT got it hitting some concrete while at the car wash this week …so I will be looking to get the outter screen fixed soon

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Enjoyed using the phone with no case for a few weeks now ..BUT got it hitting some concrete while at the car wash this week …so I will be looking to get the outter screen fixed soon
That’s unfortunate. I noticed you took the front screen protector off. How much does it cost for the outer screen to be fixed?

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
That’s unfortunate. I noticed you took the front screen protector off. How much does it cost for the outer screen to be fixed?

I haven’t looked yet but I think close to $150 …yup took both protectors off long time ago

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I haven’t looked yet but I think close to $150 …yup took both protectors off long time ago
I still have both my protectors on... I need to replace them though, but I keep it on to avoid micro-scratchea.

But $150 isn't so bad. I believe if you need the main display fixed... they will replace the frame, at least that's what happened to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.