Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Only the fold 3's s pen and the s pen pro work with the fold 3. No other s pen works. I can't imagine a usi stylus would work.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Reviews certainly don’t seem to be positive but my plan is really to use it to help protect the phone when it’s in my tech bag or when on the side at home etc. the main thing is the S pen for me plus a free 25w power brick is always welcome these days ha

I may look at the spigen case but got to admit I don’t really want more bulk for what I plan to use the phone as. If it was my main phone where I take it everywhere no doubt a case would be more important for me. This will be my small tablet type of experience when on my break at work and at home on the sofa
How are you liking the Fold 3 the 2nd time around?

I picked one up as well from Best Buy for $900. I figure if I don't like it I'll give it to my parents or just sell it for the same I paid for it.

As it stands, I'm liking it a lot but I want to see what Android 12 improves with it.

Going from the pixel cameras to the Fold cameras have been a real bummer, lol.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
How are you liking the Fold 3 the 2nd time around?

I picked one up as well from Best Buy for $900. I figure if I don't like it I'll give it to my parents or just sell it for the same I paid for it.

As it stands, I'm liking it a lot but I want to see what Android 12 improves with it.

Going from the pixel cameras to the Fold cameras have been a real bummer, lol.
Yeah I’m really liking it so far.

The improvements in some areas are minor but a good Step forward. The under display camera is certainly nice to have for content. Makes it a more pleasant experience for sure. While you can see it if you look for it but depending on your wallpaper and what you are looking at it’s nice to have a full screen display to use.

still waiting on the android 12 as well.

Can’t say I’ve used the cameras on it and likely won’t due to having my iphone for other photos.

I Did decide to get the spigen case for the S pen holder as i do plan to use the S pen a fair amount. Not as a bulky as i expected.

Just ideal for me to pick it up and watch media without needing to worry about the display being too small like on a phone or too big like with my 12.9 iPad Pro. It’s that perfect size for an on the go tablet to give you a good content experience and also not being a pain to hold.

i have missed having a foldable in my life the fact i can just fold it when not in use and doesn’t take up much space is ideal i would say.

i do wish it had the best cameras Samsung has to offer as if it did it would be the perfect phone. That said it’s a great device and the small improvements Samsung has been a good step forward.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Yeah I’m really liking it so far.

The improvements in some areas are minor but a good Step forward. The under display camera is certainly nice to have for content. Makes it a more pleasant experience for sure. While you can see it if you look for it but depending on your wallpaper and what you are looking at it’s nice to have a full screen display to use.

still waiting on the android 12 as well.

Can’t say I’ve used the cameras on it and likely won’t due to having my iphone for other photos.

I Did decide to get the spigen case for the S pen holder as i do plan to use the S pen a fair amount. Not as a bulky as i expected.

Just ideal for me to pick it up and watch media without needing to worry about the display being too small like on a phone or too big like with my 12.9 iPad Pro. It’s that perfect size for an on the go tablet to give you a good content experience and also not being a pain to hold.

i have missed having a foldable in my life the fact i can just fold it when not in use and doesn’t take up much space is ideal i would say.

i do wish it had the best cameras Samsung has to offer as if it did it would be the perfect phone. That said it’s a great device and the small improvements Samsung has been a good step forward.

I think Sasmung will pack the S21 or S22 cameras into the Fold this year. It was too big of a complaint for them to ignore.

I'm enjoying it as well. For all its faults and drawbacks, I still have more fun using it than the Pixel right now.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think Sasmung will pack the S21 or S22 cameras into the Fold this year. It was too big of a complaint for them to ignore.

I'm enjoying it as well. For all its faults and drawbacks, I still have more fun using it than the Pixel right now.
Dunno I think to keep the price low I think we won't see ultra camera quailty but maybe they decide to do a ultra version as well at over 2k to give the user the option to have the best of the best

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Dunno I think to keep the price low I think we won't see ultra camera quailty but maybe they decide to do a ultra version as well at over 2k to give the user the option to have the best of the best
Camera parts I don't believe are too expensive, especially if they already have the parts in stocks for the S22/21 line. The real cost would come from the re-engineering the Fold design to incorporate it. Which I think would be minimal unless they had to redesign other components to make room.

I think they could do it for minimal cost if they wanted.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Still no android 12 update. One issue I'm running into is the lack of a decent keyboard. I can't remember if I had this problem before.

Samsung's keyboard has the best layout but the text correction is just horrible. Gboard is my usual go to but it's layout isn't great for two different sizes screens. I get a size that works for the inner screen but then it's way too small for the outer. It further highlights that the Fold line will be great once Google starts building apps and development to support it. Samsung can only do so much.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Still no android 12 update. One issue I'm running into is the lack of a decent keyboard. I can't remember if I had this problem before.

Samsung's keyboard has the best layout but the text correction is just horrible. Gboard is my usual go to but it's layout isn't great for two different sizes screens. I get a size that works for the inner screen but then it's way too small for the outer. It further highlights that the Fold line will be great once Google starts building apps and development to support it. Samsung can only do so much.
I got one UI 4.0 update today on my Verizon unlocked phone... I find Microsoft keyboard old SwiftKey to be the best keyboard. You can use thumb mode for open but then you do have to hit the keyboard when the phone is locked to change mode .. I'm sure you can do a task to change keyboards depending on fold state

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Speaking of keyboards.. newest Fold accessory.

76d1e8680f471973d0f96e736681233b.jpg

Reactions: Bkdodger

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

SwiftKey is the best in my experience by far. The inner / outer compromise isn't perfect. I have it slightly offset with padding on the left. It works pretty well for me.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

I got update today also.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Anyone using 1Password with the fold and having issues with using the face recognition to unlock the app?
Was it even possible before? If I'm not mistaken, Android face recognition is not considered secure, as such it is not linked to many secure biometrics that have such requirements. I don't have 1Password, but most banking apps on Android only accept the fingerprint as biometric, not the face recognition.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Was it even possible before? If I'm not mistaken, Android face recognition is not considered secure, as such it is not linked to many secure biometrics that have such requirements. I don't have 1Password, but most banking apps on Android only accept the fingerprint as biometric, not the face recognition.
Yes youre correct as this is where my research pointed to last night. Thanks for replying.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Most folks in the reddit forum aren’t too excited about the features… but I’m looking forward to resizable PiP and unlocking DeX resolution restriction.

TBH I'm most looking forward to the smoothness of android 12. Especially the animations. My Pixel 6 Pro is insanely smooth. It'll be interesting to see if thats just the Pixel OS or if its Android 12.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Most folks in the reddit forum aren’t too excited about the features… but I’m looking forward to resizable PiP and unlocking DeX resolution restriction.

For me it’s more the cleaner look and PIP as well. Android 12 really is a far bigger deal for pixels given it needed far more work than oneUI

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
For me it’s more the cleaner look and PIP as well. Android 12 really is a far bigger deal for pixels given it needed far more work than oneUI

To me, OneUI is a less fun OS than Pixel OS, but more professional and clean. Pixel OS is more playful if that makes sense.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I like OneUI alot... And Pixel alot haha... Both are smooth to me... Pip for regular stuff? It looks same to me.. Nice to see color pallette...
3ccaa5ee93c4d46ff5432a26a6b1c237.jpg
627a5c987de8f40dbb06a515173a90f6.jpg
d8db0680ec7be6133d95337c83972da7.jpg

Reactions: Ludatyk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.