Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
YouTube right ? It's not larger than I can tell ..
Supposedly.. you should be able to resize it? If there’s no way to resize it.. that’s unacceptable. We was supposed to get that feature for Android 11.

Not only for YT, it can be used for other streaming apps… such as Netflix, HBO Max and Prime. But all my other video apps (NPlayer & MX Player Pro) have their own built in PiP functionality.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Supposedly.. you should be able to resize it? If there’s no way to resize it.. that’s unacceptable. We was supposed to get that feature for Android 11.

Not only for YT, it can be used for other streaming apps… such as Netflix, HBO Max and Prime. But all my other video apps (NPlayer & MX Player Pro) have their own built in PiP functionality.
It works lol user error...
c280452a748ef824b554f67fa3ec6ff2.jpg
096d2fdc7cc64b3d280536bce0134a6b.jpg

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
So I'm still on the Galaxy Fold 2, probably going to upgrade to the Fold 4 if they've changed the aspect ratio of the front screen. It's seriously almost not usable. I really don't like the tall and narrow aspect ratio. It needs to be wider. Also even though I don't bother about the crease in the middle, I really think Samsung should look and learn from the Oppo engineering team to fix that as well. Wish I could buy the Oppo Find N in Europe. Better device in my eyes when comparing it to Samsung.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
so the real question...do I want to upgrade? Bugs all worked out? Battery life. I have seen posts all over the board on the issues. what are all you seeing/experiencing? thanks

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Still no update. Pretty annoying how Samsung waits to update unlocked phones until all carriers are updated in the US.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
So I'm still on the Galaxy Fold 2, probably going to upgrade to the Fold 4 if they've changed the aspect ratio of the front screen. It's seriously almost not usable. I really don't like the tall and narrow aspect ratio. It needs to be wider. Also even though I don't bother about the crease in the middle, I really think Samsung should look and learn from the Oppo engineering team to fix that as well. Wish I could buy the Oppo Find N in Europe. Better device in my eyes when comparing it to Samsung.
I'm in the same boat... however, if the rumors are true that the Fold 4 will have a silo for the SPen then I'm on board.

I do agree i like the look of the Find N... but I like all the features that come with Samsung Galaxy phones.
Still no update. Pretty annoying how Samsung waits to update unlocked phones until all carriers are updated in the US.
Users who have unlocked phones on the reddit forum in the states... says they received it. But your issue isn't with Samsung... it's with carriers. If it was up to Samsung... I'm sure we will get similar update cycle as Apple given how much they like to compete with each other.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I'm in the same boat... however, if the rumors are true that the Fold 4 will have a silo for the SPen then I'm on board.

I do agree i like the look of the Find N... but I like all the features that come with Samsung Galaxy phones.

Users who have unlocked phones on the reddit forum in the states... says they received it. But your issue isn't with Samsung... it's with carriers. If it was up to Samsung... I'm sure we will get similar update cycle as Apple given how much they like to compete with each other.
I think its trickling out slowly to unlocked in the US. And yes, Im not dogging Samsung. My only issue with them is they clearly have some agreement with US carriers to give them some lead time in releasing updates before unlocked variants. In a perfect world, these OEMs would give the carriers the middle finger and just handle updates and everything separate from the carriers. But they cant because all these carriers insist on their own custom firmware, bloat, etc., etc.

Its not a big deal I havent gotten the update yet. It'll come. It's just mildly annoying.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Definitely don't feel bad about Samsung and the updates because it's happening with the pixel as well. I think that is just the way things are for unlocked phones now in the US

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Definitely don't feel bad about Samsung and the updates because it's happening with the pixel as well. I think that is just the way things are for unlocked phones now in the US

Those are two totally different things though. Google are withholding the Pixel 6 update because she baked in some huge bugs and are still trying to fix things. Samsung are waiting so that carriers have time to add their ******** to the firmware before they roll out the update. Neither are good, but both are understandable.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Those are two totally different things though. Google are withholding the Pixel 6 update because she baked in some huge bugs and are still trying to fix things. Samsung are waiting so that carriers have time to add their ******** to the firmware before they roll out the update. Neither are good, but both are understandable.
I hear you though. I don't think Verizon added anything to this update for the Fold ... It just seems like the last couple of years. Any phone unlocked that I've owned is delayed.. but definitely understandable I guess

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm having a hell of a time deciding whether to daily drive this or the Pixel 6 Pro.
Ehhh.. weigh the pros and cons between the two, then go from there.

For me... it's the inner screen that pulls me away from any other standard phone. It's essentially a 7-inch phone... that provides tablet UI. And as far I know... there's no phone available in the states that provides it. I'm fully aware that it doesn't have the best camera... but its sufficient enough for my needs.

And with Android 12L on the horizon... it will become even more versatile for me.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

For me... it's the inner screen that pulls me away from any other standard phone. It's essentially a 7-inch phone... that provides tablet UI. And as far I know... there's no phone available in the states that provides it. I'm fully aware that it doesn't have the best camera... but its sufficient enough for my needs.

And with Android 12L on the horizon... it will become even more versatile for me.

All I use to be fair is the inner screen. Really is amazing to use. Not too big or small to use in my hand and great for my media and multitasking. Since getting the fold 3 I’ve certainly used my iPad Pro less. I’ve decided that will always be used with the magic keyboard now as the fold will handle all other tasks for when I want a bigger screen that’s manageable

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016

Oh I have. It's close. It would be less close if the Pixel 6 Pro was stable. I think the P6P is easily the better device and more practical, but I have way more fun using the Fold 3 despite it's downsides.

I said this before, but if they improve the width of the outer display and add top tier cameras, I don't see myself going back to a normal phone.

On the flip side, when working, the Pixel OS is such a good experience and does work for you. I expect it'll be a great experience in a few months whereas right now it's wildy inconsistent.

Either way, I'm definitely not returning the Fold 3 this time. Hell, I can sell it on Swappa for more than I just paid for it brand new.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I'm having a hell of a time deciding whether to daily drive this or the Pixel 6 Pro.
There's one big reason why I'm using 6p as my daily over this phone Google Assistant.. Assistant overall... I use it for plenty of calls and voice dictation daily... I'm using my Fold at times like now the weekend when I enjoy its strong points..

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
serious question for you guys that have the Fold and a regular slab phone.

Do you get tired of unfolding the Fold?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I said this before, but if they improve the width of the outer display and add top tier cameras, I don't see myself going back to a normal phone.
I highly doubt Samsung will ever add top tier camera tech for their foldables… there will always be tradeoffs in pursuit to make the price reasonable for the public. Standard/normal phones will have the better camera tech over foldables… that’s just the nature of the industry.

If your desire to have the top tier camera in a smartphone… I don’t think foldables will ever be in that list. But more OEMs are coming with foldables… Find N and Mate X2 have a wider outer display. And the upcoming HONOR Magic V has a wider outer display. So, I believe Samsung will eventually make changes to make the display wider.

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
serious question for you guys that have the Fold and a regular slab phone.

Do you get tired of unfolding the Fold?
I only unfold mine for photo edits, uploading, kindle, and browsing the web for long periods of time which is not every time. I use the front panel for texting, calling, Instagram, and quick browsing sessions which is the most common scenario for me.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.