Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Fold 3 with s pen case even works as a stand

547da59e699edd824b389d73ac02cc52.jpg

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Fold 3 with s pen case even works as a stand
Do you like multitasking on it? Watching some video in the background while looking at content from a different app? Or you treat it as one app at a time?

I can't do the 3 apps at a time, the windows are too small which is the reason I don't see Apple ever adopting Split Screen for the iPhone... but two apps is more useful on the Fold.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do you like multitasking on it? Watching some video in the background while looking at content from a different app? Or you treat it as one app at a time?

I can't do the 3 apps at a time, the windows are too small which is the reason I don't see Apple ever adopting Split Screen for the iPhone... but two apps is more useful on the Fold.

Yeah I love the multitasking on the fold. I would say it’s the best for multitasking for portability. I use spilt screen a lot and PIP is really nice now the window is far bigger with android 12. I don’t tend to use 3 apps at same time but on the bigger fold screen pop up windows is very useful to have for sure

I think all phones should have spilt screen but yes on the fold it’s more ideal. I have my doubts about apple adding it as well but they could do the same setup as they do with the iPad

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don’t tend to use 3 apps at same time but on the bigger fold screen pop up windows is very useful to have for sure
Oh yeah, that Pop-Up window is the best feature for Galaxy devices… it’s one of those features I wish Apple will adopt for the iPad. I like the fact you can invoke the Pop-Up window by grabbing the corners too… it’s so well designed, which is crazy to say about Samsung.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Oh yeah, that Pop-Up window is the best feature for Galaxy devices… it’s one of those features I wish Apple will adopt for the iPad. I like the fact you can invoke the Pop-Up window by grabbing the corners too… it’s so well designed, which is crazy to say about Samsung.
Yeah it’s one feature I want for the iPad but I know we will likely never get it.

In fact many of the reasons I use android is the features I feel iPhone needs.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
How are peoples hinges holding up. My Galaxy Fold 2 now no longer opens flat.

Its now very annoying to use especially as the crease in the middle is now very prominent during use.

Am surprised there are no Fold 4 details yet. I need to swap my Fold 2 for a Fold 4 quick. I would like to see a fully dustproof hinge and a thicker glass screen. Otherwise longevity just isnt there with these devices.

Samsung warranty has been awful but that is another story.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016

Its now very annoying to use especially as the crease in the middle is now very prominent during use.

Am surprised there are no Fold 4 details yet. I need to swap my Fold 2 for a Fold 4 quick. I would like to see a fully dustproof hinge and a thicker glass screen. Otherwise longevity just isnt there with these devices.

Not to get you too worried, but I have heard a lot of stories about peoples Folds one day not being able to open fully. Then shortly after, the screen dies. Its probably because something is stuck in the hinge. As long as its not under the screen you're probably ok, but if its under the screen its probably only a matter of time unfortunately.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

My ZF2 is holding up quite well. But there are Fold 4 rumors out in the wild.. but nothing has been concrete. We have to wait until around summer time to get more information. Most leaks come when 3rd party case makers have to build for the phone.

Give me a better (probably getting S22/S22 Plus) camera, silo for an S-Pen, bigger battery and improve the hinge in an effort to see less of a crease. Then sign me up for the early preorders!

Reactions: Cycom

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Samsung refused to fix it under warranty.

Luckily I bought it from Amazon. It's currently with Amazon who will repair it or give me a full refund if they are unable to repair it. Quality customer service from Amazon again.

I however will sell the repaired phone or trade it in against a fold 4. The fold 2 (and fold 3) to me are still effectively prototype folding phones. I hope there are massive improvements in the fold 4.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

I have had 0 issues or friends who have my old Fold 1 and 2. Similarly with the wifes Flip 1 and 3

If anything the Fold 3 hinge is a little too firm LOL

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

Mine's not 100% flat but mostly, like 98% or 99%

Just saw some of the earliest reports about the 4. I hope they overhaul the design!

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Mine's not 100% flat but mostly, like 98% or 99%

Just saw some of the earliest reports about the 4. I hope they overhaul the design!
I would think there would be a new design, Galaxy Fold has been relatively the same for 3 generation. But we won’t get any concrete details until late spring or early summer.

My only concern at this point is Samsung new strategy regarding RAM… I have a feeling they are going to have an entry price for the Galaxy Fold 4 with 8GB RAM/128GB storage and users will have to upgrade for higher RAM.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I would think there would be a new design, Galaxy Fold has been relatively the same for 3 generation. But we won’t get any concrete details until late spring or early summer.

My only concern at this point is Samsung new strategy regarding RAM… I have a feeling they are going to have an entry price for the Galaxy Fold 4 with 8GB RAM/128GB storage and users will have to upgrade for higher RAM.
Wouldnt mind if the screen was increased to 8 inch. S pen in the phone might make me tempted to upgrade

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
After the S22 Ultra announcements, I'm leaning towards the Fold 4 being the best Note/Tab series device.

If Samsung can engineer a way to insert the S-pen into the fold body, it would be ultimate game changer for foldables.

No one will ever come close.

I agree with @The Game 161 with screen increase. Going 8" to challenge the iPad Mini and wider to challenge modern phones will be [Chefs Kiss].

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I would have thought the design of the Fold 4 would have been completed by now if they are targeting an Aug/Sep release. Am amazed at the lack of leaks/info up till now.

The 22 Ultra is of no interest to me whatsoever as ultimately it will be no different than the Note 10 plus I am using now.

Still waiting for the return of my repaired Fold 2 which has been posted today. Not sure whether to sell it upon receipt or wait and use it as a trade in for the Fold 4.

I may even just use my Note 10 plus as my daily for the next few years as I am getting bored of paying lots of money for what is essentially the same phone and the same experience. I felt that way when upgrading to the Note 10+ from the Note 8 and would probably feel that way upgrading from the Note 10+ to the S22 Ultra or from the Fold 2 to Fold 4.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Wouldnt mind if the screen was increased to 8 inch. S pen in the phone might make me tempted to upgrade
I want an 8” device too but rather a tablet so I could use a smaller phone on the side. I’ve been into big phones since they started appearing but I’m finding more and more than I want a smaller phone for many things and a bigger display for others, the “phablet” format is starting to feel like the worst of both worlds. Give me an 8” Tab and it’ll kick the iPad Mini’s ass with its OLED display. But as a phone, that would just be too unwieldy.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I would have thought the design of the Fold 4 would have been completed by now if they are targeting an Aug/Sep release. Am amazed at the lack of leaks/info up till now.

The 22 Ultra is of no interest to me whatsoever as ultimately it will be no different than the Note 10 plus I am using now.

Still waiting for the return of my repaired Fold 2 which has been posted today. Not sure whether to sell it upon receipt or wait and use it as a trade in for the Fold 4.

I may even just use my Note 10 plus as my daily for the next few years as I am getting bored of paying lots of money for what is essentially the same phone and the same experience. I felt that way when upgrading to the Note 10+ from the Note 8 and would probably feel that way upgrading from the Note 10+ to the S22 Ultra or from the Fold 2 to Fold 4.

I would imagine they have several prototypes of possible Fold 4 designs they are testing. Thats pretty standard. They'll finalize a design in the next few months so they can start ramping up production.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.