Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Samsung will have a big failure if they don't change the width of the outer screen. I'm not going to buy the Fold 4 just for the S pen. Wish Oppo would release the Oppo find N in to Europe. Would change it for the Fold immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbayrgs

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Samsung will have a big failure if they don't change the width of the outer screen. I'm not going to buy the Fold 4 just for the S pen. Wish Oppo would release the Oppo find N in to Europe. Would change it for the Fold immediately.
If the Note 20U and S22U haven’t given you any indication that Samsung won’t do anything drastically to the Fold… then I don’t know what to tell you.

I seen a reddit poll with a surprisingly majority that want to keep the narrow outer screen because it’s easier to manage. And this result tells me that Samsung doesn’t mind keeping the design the same given that majority is perfectly content with it.

Baring any horrible revelations of battery life or performance to the unreleased/unannounced Fold 4… I’m planning on upgrading primarily for the update cycle because my Fold 2 is ending with OneUI 5.0 this year.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
If the Note 20U and S22U haven’t given you any indication that Samsung won’t do anything drastically to the Fold… then I don’t know what to tell you.

I seen a reddit poll with a surprisingly majority that want to keep the narrow outer screen because it’s easier to manage. And this result tells me that Samsung doesn’t mind keeping the design the same given that majority is perfectly content with it.

Baring any horrible revelations of battery life or performance to the unreleased/unannounced Fold 4… I’m planning on upgrading primarily for the update cycle because my Fold 2 is ending with OneUI 5.0 this year.
The S22 is actually quite different from the S21, just for the bezels alone. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. The S pen is not worth it, to reduce the already average battery life it has. Also the crease is something they should find something for, now other manufacturers has shown how could look as well. The Oppo find N is the perfect foldable, design wise. Would have imported, it if it was shipped with the Playstore pre-installed.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The S22U is actually quite different from the S21, just for the bezels alone. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. The S pen is not worth it, to reduce the already average battery life it has. Also the crease is something they should find something for, now other manufacturers has shown how could look as well. The Oppo find N is the perfect foldable, design wise. Would have imported, it if it was shipped with the Playstore pre-installed.
Heed my words carefully, sir. I used the word drastically. And I didn’t mention the S21… my comparison is between the Note 20 Ultra and the S22 Ultra.. since we all know the S22 Ultra is practically a Note.

From a design standpoint, both the Note 20 Ultra and S22 Ultra are nearly identically… especially from the front. Only difference between two is one is 6.8 and other is 6.9. And obviously, the back has changed. But purely from a design standpoint… Note 20 Ultra and S22 Ultra look nearly the same.

And I totally agree with you, if Samsung would copy the Find N design… I‘ll look to purchase that immediately. But hardware isn’t quite enough without the software. And honestly, I prefer OneUI to whatever skin thats on the Find N. Then you have to take in to account the optimization that Samsung has done throughout the years for the Fold line.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I full expect Samsung to make the outer screen better but maybe not until the Fold 5. I expect camera upgrades to be the focus of the Fold 4.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The S22U is actually quite different from the S21, just for the bezels alone. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. The S pen is not worth it, to reduce the already average battery life it has. Also the crease is something they should find something for, now other manufacturers has shown how could look as well. The Oppo find N is the perfect foldable, design wise. Would have imported, it if it was shipped with the Playstore pre-installed.
I like the Find N format in that it makes for a easier to handle and more sensible outer display format. But the Fold still has a much bigger/longer unfolded display area for watching videos. That’s important enough for me that I sadly couldn’t really consider the Find N. Putting up with the unwieldy outer display of the Fold would be the lesser of two evils for me. (First world evil lol)

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Heed my words carefully, sir. I used the word drastically. And I didn’t mention the S21… my comparison is between the Note 20 Ultra and the S22 Ultra.. since we all know the S22 Ultra is practically a Note.

From a design standpoint, both the Note 20 Ultra and S22 Ultra are nearly identically… especially from the front. Only difference between two is one is 6.8 and other is 6.9. And obviously, the back has changed. But purely from a design standpoint… Note 20 Ultra and S22 Ultra look nearly the same.

And I totally agree with you, if Samsung would copy the Find N design… I‘ll look to purchase that immediately. But hardware isn’t quite enough without the software. And honestly, I prefer OneUI to whatever skin thats on the Find N. Then you have to take in to account the optimization that Samsung has done throughout the years for the Fold line.
Heed my words carefully, what I mean in this case is the whole S21 line-up, and not only the Ultra in general. Overall, besides the ultra, the changes are obviously visible. Samsung can be stubborn sometimes, and that will let other manufacturers have the option, to also get a market share on foldable phones. Google will probably also launch something close to the Find N design characteristics. If they don't watch out the Fold 4 will become a failure of a device especially if they really are gimping the average battery for a even worse one.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Heed my words carefully, what I mean in this case is the whole S21 line-up, and not only the Ultra in general. Overall, besides the ultra, the changes are obviously visible. Samsung can be stubborn sometimes, and that will let other manufacturers have the option, to also get a market share on foldable phones. Google will probably also launch something close to the Find N design characteristics. If they don't watch out the Fold 4 will become a failure of a device especially if they really are gimping the average battery for a even worse one.
And that’s the point I’m making. The Fold 4 will not have any drastic changes… because majority are content with the outer narrow display.

IMO, I find the Find N design superior to the Galaxy Fold 3… however, I’ll choose the software above all else. And if Google releases Find N-like design… if the software isn’t as appealing, then I’ll stay with Galaxy Fold.

Yup. Z Fold 3 downloading now. [Locked T-Mobile] The line to Samsung's website doesn't have any details. hopefully someone might be able to do a deep dive.
Please let me know if full screen immersive mode is working.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
how are the notifications on Android 12? When I last tried the Fold 3, on A11, Gmail notifications were pretty awful. This only happened on battery, after 5 minutes in sleep. Yes, battery stuff was all toggled.. it's a known issue with Doze, and Gmail not setting notifications as "high" and so if your phone is sleeping on battery, Gmail won't send in notifications.

Some apps have this problem too, but Gmail is the one I care about.

I'm hoping A12 fixed this... can anyone confirm? Or is it still a problem?

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
how are the notifications on Android 12? When I last tried the Fold 3, on A11, Gmail notifications were pretty awful. This only happened on battery, after 5 minutes in sleep. Yes, battery stuff was all toggled.. it's a known issue with Doze, and Gmail not setting notifications as "high" and so if your phone is sleeping on battery, Gmail won't send in notifications.

Some apps have this problem too, but Gmail is the one I care about.

I'm hoping A12 fixed this... can anyone confirm? Or is it still a problem?
Have not seen any delays with Gmail but I will have to keep an eye on it I don't have the fold now but I will keep an eye on Android 12 and when it sleeps

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well I am really annoyed with myself

I know they changed the sim tray on the fold 3 and I just thought it was a better design with the metal insert now

I just never looked that close to realise its a dual physical sim (back to back) + Esims Dohhh

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 94

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well I am really annoyed with myself

I know they changed the sim tray on the fold 3 and I just thought it was a better design with the metal insert now

I just never looked that close to realise its a dual physical sim (back to back) + Esims Dohhh

I didn't know that myself.

hydro94530

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2015
Anybody having this issue where apps appear behind the pinned app bar on the left:

Screenshot_20220317-065841_Stream.jpg

Really frustrating and anything under the pinned apps is unusable so for Comcast for example, I can't even use that menu in the top left. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Really frustrating and anything under the pinned apps is unusable so for Comcast for example, I can't even use that menu in the top left. Any help would be great. Thanks!
I don’t normally use that feature. But I verified it does it for me as well, I think that feature needs more optimization from Samsung.

hydro94530

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2015
I don’t normally use that feature. But I verified it does it for me as well, I think that feature needs more optimization from Samsung.

Darn. I use it 100% but thanks, at least it's not just me. Thank you! Hopefully there's some way to fix this.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
one UI 4.1 has dropped
Yup.. been following it. Awaiting on AT&T to push the update; however, off topic...I recently picked up this portable monitor for Samsung DeX. Been looking for a monitor to use when away from the desk... imo, I think DeX needs more users to incentives Samsung to take it more serious.

Not that Samsung doesn't care about DeX users, but I think it finds itself in a middle of not trying to make it feature-rich where it takes away from laptop/desktop sales. It's similar to iPadOS and macOS debate whereas Apple doesn't want to disrupt mac sales by adding mac features to iPadOS (external monitor support, window management, simultaneously audio streams, final cut & logic apps, etc).

Reactions: Bkdodger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.