Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I would have thought the design of the Fold 4 would have been completed by now if they are targeting an Aug/Sep release. Am amazed at the lack of leaks/info up till now.
Well, they have prototypes right now... but the design won't be final yet as @Awesomesince86 mention.

And once the design is final then it will go into production, there are speculations regarding specs... especially silo for an S-Pen. But we won't get any hardware leaks until 3rd party case makers get sent models to build for it.

Wouldnt mind if the screen was increased to 8 inch. S pen in the phone might make me tempted to upgrade
8 inches would be a drastic change... they could increase it, but I don't see 8 inches this soon into the Fold series even though it's been relatively the same for 3 generations. As much as I want a redesign especially from the cover/outer screen, I rather temper my expectation.

My only hope is a silo for an S-Pen, give me that... I'll sign up for the early pre-orders!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well, they have prototypes right now... but the design won't be final yet as @Awesomesince86 mention.

And once the design is final then it will go into production, there are speculations regarding specs... especially silo for an S-Pen. But we won't get any hardware leaks until 3rd party case makers get sent models to build for it.

8 inches would be a drastic change... they could increase it, but I don't see 8 inches this soon into the Fold series even though it's been relatively the same for 3 generations. As much as I want a redesign especially from the cover/outer screen, I rather temper my expectation.

My only hope is a silo for an S-Pen, give me that... I'll sign up for the early pre-orders!

I'm hoping for a S-Pen silo and periscope zoom. If Samsung can pull that off, I'll be the perfect phone for me. I don't even care much about the size of the front display. I've gotten very accustomed to the Fold 3 front display size, but I wouldn't mind if it's just slightly wider.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Nah the front size is just not useful. An absolute waste. Would rather have no screen on the front then this. They really need to make it much wider.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Nah the front size is just not useful. An absolute waste. Would rather have no screen on the fron then this. They really need to make it much wider.

I find the front display size very useful for one handed use. Obviously, there's some tasks that makes using the front display atrocious, but I don't mind unfolding for those tasks.

Being that said, I would just like it slightly wider. I don't want the front display to match the width of a normal sized slab.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm hoping for a S-Pen silo and periscope zoom. If Samsung can pull that off, I'll be the perfect phone for me. I don't even care much about the size of the front display. I've gotten very accustomed to the Fold 3 front display size, but I wouldn't mind if it's just slightly wider.
My husband is hoping for a flagship spec camera. That’s his main complaint about the Fold 3 so far. Actually it’s his only complaint. He loves his.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Wouldnt mind if the screen was increased to 8 inch. S pen in the phone might make me tempted to upgrade
I want an 8” device too but rather a tablet so I could use a smaller phone on the side. I’ve been into big phones since they started appearing but I’m finding more and more than I want a smaller phone for many things and a bigger display for others, the “phablet” format is starting to feel like the worst of both worlds. Give me an 8” Tab and it’ll kick the iPad Mini’s ass with its OLED display. But as a phone, that would just be too unwieldy.
I’m dumb sorry, I didn’t realize you were talking about the Fold.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
My husband is hoping for a flagship spec camera. That’s his main complaint about the Fold 3 so far. Actually it’s his only complaint. He loves his.
Unfortunately that's highly unlikely. Adding highest tier camera tech to the Galaxy Fold will make the price outrageous as if it needs any more cash attach to it.

But this should be the year Samsung upgrade the camera tech for the Fold 4... given both the Fold 2 and 3 have similar camera tech (which is part of the reason I didn't upgrade). The rear camera tech in the Fold 2/3 comparabale to that of the S10+ and as a phone north of 1799+, we need at least S20+ camera tech this year.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Unfortunately that's highly unlikely. Adding highest tier camera tech to the Galaxy Fold will make the price outrageous as if it needs any more cash attach to it.

But this should be the year Samsung upgrade the camera tech for the Fold 4... given both the Fold 2 and 3 have similar camera tech (which is part of the reason I didn't upgrade). The rear camera tech in the Fold 2/3 comparabale to that of the S10+ and as a phone north of 1799+, we need at least S20+ camera tech this year.
Think this depends on if they continue improving every aspect re hinge, screen, IP rating etc etc on each iteration if not then some budget maybe left over for other areas next time :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah they probably wouldn’t sell enough volume at the prices they would need to justify the cameras.

But it’s a shame they don’t offer a bespoke edition for the people willing to pay for the cameras. My husband would be willing to pay for that because right now he has an S21 Ultra and Pixel 6 Pro and the 13 Pro Max. He’s always going to need the iPhone for work. But if he could get the best cameras on the Fold, he would pay for it and be done with the others and just upgrade the iPhone every other year. He wants his daily driver to have the best cameras available.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah If they gave a normal fold 4 and an ultra model I would certainly go for that. But maybe they feel it would hurt the S sales. So if they make the front display wider and have the best cameras the appeal for the S line isn’t as strong

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I find the front display size very useful for one handed use. Obviously, there's some tasks that makes using the front display atrocious, but I don't mind unfolding for those tasks.

Being that said, I would just like it slightly wider. I don't want the front display to match the width of a normal sized slab.
I find the front very useless like many others do as well. That thing is to small and to tall to use one handed. Can't actually believe there are people risking it on dropping because of the akward weight distribution. You can't never reach 2/3 of the screen with your thumb. Even MKHB made an negative comment about that. I'm sure Samsung will change it. They have too. Since the pressure of the Oppo Find N and the mostly positive response on that thing. The Fold 4 will look different, I'm sure about that.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I would prefer the Fold 4 to be the same width as a normal phone eg the s22 Ultra so the front can be used as a normal phone. It would then also fold out into a bigger screen than the current folds. A win-win.

Currently the fold 2 and 3 can only really be used in open mode. This restricts its usefulness to alot of people as many will want to use the front screen as the main screen and the open screen only occasionally.

Over time Samsung can then reduce the thickness but that isn't vital for the Fold 4 generation.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Think this depends on if they continue improving every aspect re hinge, screen, IP rating etc etc on each iteration if not then some budget maybe left over for other areas next time :)
I didn't use never... but highly unlikely, because there is always a chance. But my thought process is the highest tier camera tech will be in a regular slab phone given the price margins will be better for it.

I find the front very useless like many others do as well. That thing is to small and to tall to use one handed. Can't actually believe there are people risking it on dropping because of the akward weight distribution. You can't never reach 2/3 of the screen with your thumb. Even MKHB made an negative comment about that. I'm sure Samsung will change it. They have too. Since the pressure of the Oppo Find N and the mostly positive response on that thing. The Fold 4 will look different, I'm sure about that.
I personally feel that the outer/cover display is for quick interactions, not for regular use. If a user needs to respond in a long text format, unfold to the inner display.

The Fold 3 addressed durability from the Fold 2, but I think the elephant in the room that needs to be fixed is the crease. Eliminating would be the next phase in foldable series. As much as I care for a wider outer/cover display.... I believe the crease will be what Samsung address with the Fold 4.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I didn't use never... but highly unlikely, because there is always a chance. But my thought process is the highest tier camera tech will be in a regular slab phone given the price margins will be better for it.

I personally feel that the outer/cover display is for quick interactions, not for regular use. If a user needs to respond in a long text format, unfold to the inner display.

The Fold 3 addressed durability from the Fold 2, but I think the elephant in the room that needs to be fixed is the crease. Eliminating would be the next phase in foldable series. As much as I care for a wider outer/cover display.... I believe the crease will be what Samsung address with the Fold 4.
Nope I don't share that. There is no reason to add a front screen, which many find it difficult to use, without a good purpose. You can barely type on that thing when needed. It's also very easily fixable, without making the phone to big.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Nope I don't share that. There is no reason to add a front screen, which many find difficult to use, without a good purpose. You can barely type on that thing when needed. It's also very easily fixable, without making the phone to big.
I totally agree that outer/cover display needs to be widen, however… Samsung had it for the Fold 2 and decided it was good enough to use for the Fold 3. And according to Samsung, Fold 3 has sold in record numbers surpassing Fold 2 easily, that has to be some type of indication that many find it usable.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I totally agree that outer/cover display needs to be widen, however… Samsung had it for the Fold 2 and decided it was good enough to use for the Fold 3. And according to Samsung, Fold 3 has sold in record numbers surpassing Fold 2 easily, that has to be some type of indication that many find it usable.
Well, that's purely because of the price point. Those things getting cheaper every year. Also Samsung is not Apple. On the Android market you have a lot of competition (which Apple don't have), so keeping the same design overhaul will bit you in the arse eventually (looking at you Sony). People getting bored of it. And especially on the Fold 3, there is still a lot of space for improvements. And they will.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I find it much more awkward to use my iPhone 13 pro max one handed TBH, that definitely feels like it will slip out of my hand when I'm reaching over for something on the other side of the keyboard, and I have pretty big hands. At least with the Fold it feels very solid using one handed. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a larger front screen, I just worry how that would affect portability.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I came across this article ...
I’ve seen that article from the Fold reddit thread along with several tweets from IceUniverse claiming Samsung might reduce the battery as a result of the silo.

I knew this would happen if Samsung decided to add a silo to the Galaxy Fold… something had to give. But what’s surprising to me… is that design supposedly won’t change according to IceUniverse. And I’m hoping Samsung chooses the right prototype because with all these new foldables introduced… Fold isn’t as appealing compared to the recent ones released.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I’ve seen that article from the Fold reddit thread along with several tweets from IceUniverse claiming Samsung might reduce the battery as a result of the silo.

I knew this would happen if Samsung decided to add a silo to the Galaxy Fold… something had to give. But what’s surprising to me… is that design supposedly won’t change according to IceUniverse. And I’m hoping Samsung chooses the right prototype because with all these new foldables introduced… Fold isn’t as appealing compared to the recent ones released.

Hopefully they adjust properly....it would suck to reduce the battery ...

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I can handle a bit of a dip in battery if it means we get S-Pen silo. Lowest I'll accept is 4300 mAh. If Samsung can engineer a way to maintain the 4400mAh, I'll take it. The Fold has grown on me. I've been a note fan since the Note II and owned every single one [except for Note 7].

With the s-pen silo in in the S22 Ultra, I do have some hope the Fold 4 will follow suit.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I can handle a bit of a dip in battery if it means we get S-Pen silo. Lowest I'll accept is 4300 mAh. If Samsung can engineer a way to maintain the 4400mAh, I'll take it. The Fold has grown on me. I've been a note fan since the Note II and owned every single one [except for Note 7].

With the s-pen silo in in the S22 Ultra, I do have some hope the Fold 4 will follow suit.
Agreed, give me the silo. Don't even use the S Pen without one currently.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I know who use the fold 3 as a daily they say battery is crap but for me usage it’s fine. I would rather have the S pen with the phone for sure

I get people want it wider but would not want less screen even if it’s no real difference.

Not sure if s pen in phone would make me upgrade

Reactions: hovscorpion12

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just a gimmick folks that’s what certain iPhone users say. Forgot to charge my air pods before my walk but luckily I have the fold
ffa51aeb4053d86d07237708ea2a3056.jpg

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just a gimmick folks that’s what certain iPhone users say. Forgot to charge my air pods before my walk but luckily I have the fold
It’s certainly useful! I used that feature for my GW4 when I went traveling and left the charger at home. And I was skeptical of the feature… but its good to have in a pinch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.