Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
So now with Apple care plus having unlimited screen replacement for only $29 per incident. Does anyone still feel like a screen protector is necessary. I didn’t use one with my 13 pro max and yeah at the end it I did have a micro scratch but when I did have a screen protector I was replacing it at least every six months from wear and tear and cracks. What do you all think?

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
AppleCare doesn’t cover scratches. The iPhone screens can and do still scratch. And the oleophobic coating can be worn away where your fingers are most active. None of that would be covered.

I did the no screen protector thing and scratched the **** out of my screen just from daily life. I don’t even put my phones in pockets. So no thanks. Screen protector for me.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I can't even see why anyone would rather put themselves through the aggravation & expense of a repair instead of avoiding the damage in the first place.
And a scratch isn't even something that would be covered by Apple care plus anyway, so instead one gets to live with a damaged screen.
That may not bother some people, but it would bother me a lot!

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I can't even see why anyone would rather put themselves through the aggravation & expense of a repair instead of avoiding the damage in the first place.
And a scratch isn't even something that would be covered by Apple care plus anyway, so instead one gets to live with a damaged screen.
Exactly. I have never gotten it either. Presumably if you keep your phone, you’re happy with it. A screen replacement is something that can go wrong. The screen might have flaws. Something else might get damaged while replacing it. To me, a repair is a last resort and you protect what you have paid this much money for.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Screen protectors are just unnecessary accessories imo and I have never scratched my phone screen. I understand some will want to protect their investment, that's understandable.

With the new applecare plus policy, I do like that it's unlimited incidents so I don't mind it and it's great that Apple did this change.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Sure scratch isn't covered by applecare Plus but thats there is this thing called Incident where you can pay $29 bucks for a screen replacement. To each their own i suppose.

Reactions: alexcue

Gsxr750

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2022
So now with Apple care plus having unlimited screen replacement for only $29 per incident. Does anyone still feel like a screen protector is necessary. I didn’t use one with my 13 pro max and yeah at the end it I did have a micro scratch but when I did have a screen protector I was replacing it at least every six months from wear and tear and cracks. What do you all think?
I only used 1 screen protector on 13 pro max last year. With what I do for a living, it’s impossible to not get sand in every crevice of everywhere. Inevitable that it’s gonna scratch the screen eventually. Paying $7 to replace my screen myself from home if needed is well worth it. Honestly can’t even tell the screen protector is there

Reactions: danb1979

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wasn't aware it was necessary to get a screen protector when you didn't (and don't) have AC/AC+. I didn't get the memo. All these years of using my iPhones without screen protectors or cases.

Who would have thought! :rolleyes:

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Between my 11 PM and 12PM I used 3 screen protectors. Zero damaged screens. 1 screen protector cracked on the 11. The 12 stayed on for 18 months until I removed it yesterday. Soon as I got the 14 PM I put a screen protector on.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Between my 11 PM and 12PM I used 3 screen protectors. Zero damaged screens. 1 screen protector cracked on the 11. The 12 stayed on for 18 months until I removed it yesterday. Soon as I got the 14 PM I put a screen protector on.
I had a screen protector on my iPhone 6+ once. It absolutely did it's job and protected itself when I dropped my phone. Not a scratch on the protector but the screen shattered.

But hey I was able to use the screen without cutting my fingers until I got the phone replaced. :D

quise2024

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
Still gonna use one. Doesn’t hurt using it - added screen protection for scratches and dings

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If your screen protector gets scratched, cracked, damaged, imagine what would happen to the screen without one.
Some go naked, some don't. All a matter of choice.
See my post above yours for what can happen even when you DO have a screen protector. :)

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
Screen protectors cost like $5, an applecare+ screen replacement for damage (scratches/breakage) costs a lot more.

Nothing particularly insightful from this post

• Haha
Reactions: LeahJoFoxtrot

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
i used to think this way too. until my 13 PM got a few scratches on the screen & I noticed them constantly. Adding a $20 screen protector also helps with the OCD of smudges & the oleophobic coating wearing off. I added a screen protector on my iPad as well, not for scratch protection, but to be able to wipe the screen clean more often without having to worry about the oleophobic coating wearing off sooner. It's a peace of mind kind of thing. I hate cases tho. Screen protectors add no bulk nor change the device experience so it's a plus

rdrive

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2021
Never understood why people still use screen protectors these days. First off - it slightly takes away from the natural screen resolution (imo) - and if you use a case and keep it in your pocket by itself - it’s totally unnecessary. I have had countless phones, and never one tiny scratch or anything.To each their own (I suppose)

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
0e33e60e49f202e1b208d9324dfd9b88.jpg

Also got Apple Care +
Very easy to resell the phone the next year when there’s 0 scratches on either the screen or phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.