Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Wow, you're a kind one. Your comment is confusing because you put "incident" in quotes which makes it sound like you're saying if incidentally the phone is wrecked that it is not covered by AppleCare+ which is incorrect. And yes, I'm saying some crazy people might break their phone screen to get a scratch fixed.
No offense meant.
"incident" has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and on the apple.com website as well (do a quick search of "applecare incident").
I presume that an "incident" is repairable damage under the policy.
My query in this matter is to try to get an idea of how many people consider a scratch to be a repairable incident in relation to what the response from Applecare/Applecare+ would be on the matter, that is, would they accept or refuse repair, and based upon what parameters.
I've found in my lifetime (a long one, by the way) that peoples expectations of what a warranty, extended warranty, or insurance policy will cover far exceeds the actual coverage involved.
It has nothing to do with a fraudulent request, which, by the way, I have no doubt at all that some people would submit.
Again, sorry to have offended you, or confuse anyone . 😀

• Love
Reactions: LeahJoFoxtrot

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
A month or so I forgot to take my beloved XS out of my pocket before putting the jeans in the washing machine.

My #1 requirement for the replacement was that it have AppleCare+. Yes, yes; it’s always cheaper to self-insure. But, if the insurance is any good (and AppleCare+ is about as good as it gets these days), it’s a really nice luxury. I like having my worries about the phone reduced from “Not only am I screwed without one, I really hate the thought of spending that much money and / or effort to get back up and running” to “How soon can I make it to the Genius Bar?” Note that the latter is unavoidable, no matter what; fortunately, I live about 20 minutes from three different Apple Stores, one each north, southeast, and northwest from my home. Plus, AppleCare+ is a predictable expense that’s much easier to budget for.

So I absolutely wasn’t going to put a case on my 13 mini. I briefly pondered a screen protector … but, since I’ve already got AppleCare+, decided it’d be a waste of money. For me, the only ones worth getting are the ones that they install for you at the Apple Store … and those cost $10 more than the warranty screen replacement, with zero added convenience.

I can’t stand those flimsy $10 DIY protectors … and changing them out every couple months? For those pinching pennies, that’s $60 / year in screen protectors; I could get two “incidents” with AppleCare+ in a year and still break even. (Yes, I’m spending more on the monthly premium for AppleCare+, but that’s for ease-of-mind against another … “laundry catastrophe,” so the screen replacement is, to my mind, a free add-on.)

I had my applied-at-the-Apple-store screen protector on the XS replaced at least once, maybe twice, and I got the XS only a couple months after launch. I expect I’ll get at least a year, probably three, before needing the screen replaced on my 13 mini.

So, for me, “full naked” is the least expensive, most worry-free, most luxurious choice.

Not hard to imagine, though, somebody doing heavy machine maintenance at a middle-of-nowhere industrial site (like mining) thinking it’d be absolutely nuts to forego the toughest-available case and that AppleCare+ a complete waste of money. Which is why those are also perfectly valid options.

Cheers,

b&
Well said.
Everyones situation and philosophy is different.
I use an inexpensive screen protector and an inexpensive but protective case, and don't have Applecare or Applecare+.
Both came to the rescue when I dropped my phone in my gravel driveway.
The protector cracked and got replaced (no screen damage), and the case prevented damage to the phone.
I tend to buy things based upon the reputation of the manufacturer, and can't remember the last time I purchased an extended warranty policy on anything.
This has all paid off well for my iPhone (so far at least).

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It is unlikely that a user would come across a port issue within the first 2 years of use. Where I come from, Apple offer 2 years of warranty. I genuinely have no use for AC+ as genuine defects like you’ve mentioned are covered.

The port issue was that somehow the post in an iPad was damaged so it was impossible to charge the unit. It was not user fixable.

Certainly having 2 years of support is nice but the thread is about having Apple care vs not having it. You have it. Sure it is unlikely but one has to decide if the financial risk is worth it. My my case I have saved thousands of dollars with Apple Care. I do over insure based upon common recommendations, but my reward has been insurance payments well into the 6 digits for other things.

The jist of my post is that everyone is focusing on screen problems. There are other things that can happen that nothing to do with a screen protector.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The port issue was that somehow the post in an iPad was damaged so it was impossible to charge the unit. It was not user fixable.

Certainly having 2 years of support is nice but the thread is about having Apple care vs not having it. You have it. Sure it is unlikely but one has to decide if the financial risk is worth it. My my case I have saved thousands of dollars with Apple Care. I do over insure based upon common recommendations, but my reward has been insurance payments well into the 6 digits for other things.

The jist of my post is that everyone is focusing on screen problems. There are other things that can happen that nothing to do with a screen protector.
I have been using Apple products for over 10 years and if I had subscribed to AC+ I would have lost thousands of pounds with nothing to show for it. I don’t know why you’ve been so unlucky but I have 4 iPads, a MacBook, and 6 iPhones with no mechanical problems or broken screens.

It’s obviously up to the individual to decide but I just don’t see any requirement for overpriced insurance. You’re essentially paying 1/4 extra per device over 2 years when the warranty covers manufacturing defects anyway. After 2 years of AC+ you’re in the same boat as everyone else having already spent so much.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I'm using a glass screen protector on my 15 pro max and I'm really contemplating taking it off. It's getting a bunch of micro scratches anyway, and they seem more noticeable than micro scratches on the screen itself when the display is on. I also don't like how the screen is raised on the edges, and the color seems to be affected when compared to my iPad Pro which doesn't have one. Increased glare too.

But I paid Apple $40 for it, so I'll continue to keep it on until it gets in bad shape. Then I'll probably take it off without replacing it.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I'm using a glass screen protector on my 15 pro max and I'm really contemplating taking it off. It's getting a bunch of micro scratches anyway, and they seem more noticeable than micro scratches on the screen itself when the display is on. I also don't like how the screen is raised on the edges, and the color seems to be affected when compared to my iPad Pro which doesn't have one. Increased glare too.

But I paid Apple $40 for it, so I'll continue to keep it on until it gets in bad shape. Then I'll probably take it off without replacing it.
Well take in mind if you remove it, you’re gonna get a ton of micro scratches on the original iPhone glass. The ceramic coating is not as strong as they say it is. It scratches easily. I’ve seen it time and time again with family and friends phones that don’t have a screen protector on it. So I suggest leaving it on. I use the Mothca anti-glare glass screen protector. It’s very nice & makes the screen easy to see in any light including sunlight. Micro scratches don’t show on the matte finish. The glass is $9 or $13 for a two pack on amazon. $40 is a lot for a sheet of glass from the big box stores. I’ll never pay that much for glass again especially when it can be purchased on amazon for $8-$15 depending on brand. If you get the Mothca anti-glare, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

So basically the £40 screen protectors Apple sell are worse quality than the £10 ESR and Spigen protectors that can be bought on Amazon, wow, that is shocking to hear. I haven’t got a single scratch on mine and it’s been on over a year. I don’t even notice the phone has one on as it’s flush with the edge of the case. Considering how soft the screen surface is, I couldn’t put up with the permanent damage it attracts without one on, but I appreciate others may not care about that sort of thing.

Reactions: Harthag

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
I've never broken the phone screen or got any scratches of any kind on it. But the last few years I always use a screen protector because the oleophobic film always degrades and then the screen is full of nasty, hard to remove finger prints.

I just buy cheap protectors in packs of two and swap it out if anything happens to them now.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I’ve been using the Spigen glass screen protector on my 15PM from day one, not a single micro scratch or blemish on it. Perfect installs every time with these for a few years now, no dust or bubbles either. Ponying up for the Apple protectors makes no sense, it’s for suckers.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I'm using a glass screen protector on my 15 pro max and I'm really contemplating taking it off. It's getting a bunch of micro scratches

I've always used the Belkin InvisiGlass protectors and have never had a scratch, other than the cracks in the protector (not the screen) when I dropped it face down on gravel.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I ripped the metaphorical bandaid off and took off the screen protector. So much more comfortable using the phone without a case because there's no raises sharp edges on the borders. Life's too short to baby your iPhone.

Reactions: Hele and Eugr

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I ripped the metaphorical bandaid off and took off the screen protector. So much more comfortable using the phone without a case because there's no raises sharp edges on the borders. Life's too short to baby your iPhone.

I do endorse others like yourself who decide to go completely careless with their highly fragile iPhones, and the the irony of the message ‘life’s too short to baby your iPhone’ when that is exactly what is needed with a caseless iPhone lol.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I do endorse others like yourself who decide to go completely careless with their highly fragile iPhones, and the the irony of the message ‘life’s too short to baby your iPhone’ when that is exactly what is needed with a caseless iPhone lol.
I dropped my 12 pro max lots of times without a case or screen protector and nothing happened. I think people are still stuck in 2010, they're not so fragile anymore. And I have AppleCare anyway, that's how you should protect your investment. God forbid someone steals it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I dropped my 12 pro max lots of times without a case or screen protector and nothing happened. I think people are still stuck in 2010, they're not so fragile anymore. And I have AppleCare anyway, that's how you should protect your investment. God forbid someone steals it.

I’ve witnessed an iPhone dropped from lower than knee height and seen it shatter on a cobbled street. It makes no difference at the end of the day because nobody cares whether someone else breaks their phones as long as it’s not their own. Certainly not buying into an insurance scam that Apple sell either. You do you.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I’ve witnessed an iPhone dropped from lower than knee height and seen it shatter on a cobbled street. It makes no difference at the end of the day because nobody cares whether someone else breaks their phones as long as it’s not their own. Certainly not buying into an insurance scam that Apple sell either. You do you.
Ok to each their own. It just the way I look at it, it would be like buying a Ferrari and driving it around with a fabric cover on the outside. Sure it protects it and the car still works, but you can't take in the full beauty of it while using it.

I'll make exceptions for leather cases because I think they add class and, not for its protection.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Ok to each their own. It just the way I look at it, it would be like buying a Ferrari and driving it around with a fabric cover on the outside. Sure it protects it and the car still works, but you can't take in the full beauty of it while using it.

I'll make exceptions for leather cases because I think they add class and, not for its protection.

I don’t view an iPhone, something sold in the hundreds of millions as a thing of beauty. It’s a mobile phone, an everyday object, something everybody has and something that is functional rather than something that can be compared to a quarter of a million pound super car IMO. If people have the time to make weekly visits to Apple shops replacing cracked iPhones and paying excess fees on top of the already extortionate insurance premium Apple sell, all the power to them. I’d rather pay myself, not break it and use it without studying its aesthetics in any great detail. As I said, whatever suits.

• Love
Reactions: Splitrail

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I've got a screen protector for now...I am going to a concert on the beach on Saturday and as an archaeologist that has worked in sand a lot, grit = scratches. But I actually hate them and will be very tempted to remove it on Sunday morning lol.

Reactions: dannyyankou

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
All insurance is a scam till you need it then you find out how good it is. I have had over $15KAUD in house/car claims. Sure if you have house/contents ins is ok depending on excess and how easy is to get a replacement, takes longer here and will cost more than 1 replacement than AC does for 2, but plenty don't especially these days, living at home, renters etc.
I don't have AC but for some a few hundred spread over over a few years for a $2.5K phone is worth the punt, also good if you don't live near a Apple Store and can get a replacement sent overnight.

A bit of blanket statement saying AC is a scam for all. Bee in bonnet much lol.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Ahhh.. you have iPhone replacement money! Nice. Good for you.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I have AppleCare, but even that might be unnecessary because I haven't had to replace an iPhone since the 4S. I'm not even that careful or anything, it's just not that hard to not drop your phone.
True, but it will catch you off guard one of these days and you will drop your phone when you least expect it. Then you can use Apple care to repair or replace it. Besides a nice expensive case Will give you a better grip on your phone and make it look more elegant at times depending on the case. The bare/naked iPhone on its own is just too slippery and too delicate.

For me, my iPhone is my main camera for a majority of the time. So I must protect my camera and treat it with lots of care. If the iPhone is “just a phone” for you, then I can see how protection is not a major concern to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
All insurance is a scam till you need it then you find out how good it is. I have had over $15KAUD in house/car claims. Sure if you have house/contents ins is ok depending on excess and how easy is to get a replacement, takes longer here and will cost more than 1 replacement than AC does for 2, but plenty don't especially these days, living at home, renters etc.
I don't have AC but for some a few hundred spread over over a few years for a $2.5K phone is worth the punt, also good if you don't live near a Apple Store and can get a replacement sent overnight.

A bit of blanket statement saying AC is a scam for all. Bee in bonnet much lol.

I certainly think it’s a scam when it costs a similar amount to my annual car insurance and my entire house and contents is insured for just a little bit more. So yes, my home contents covers it anyway.

I haven’t got a bee in my bonnet over this, just engaging in the conversation here. I thought things were a little more civil of late, but hey.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I certainly think it’s a scam when it costs a similar amount to my annual car insurance and my entire house and contents is insured for just a little bit more. So yes, my home contents covers it anyway.

I haven’t got a bee in my bonnet over this, just engaging in the conversation here. I thought things were a little more civil of late, but hey.
Far out you don’t really get it.

You can’t insure a $60kAUD car for AC $319 price here ,Try $1100, and my house and contents is $2.5k.

You need to understand that your situation is not everyone’s, nothing to do with being civil.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Far out you don’t really get it.

You can’t insure a $60kAUD car for AC $319 price here ,Try $1100, and my house and contents is $2.5k.

You need to understand that your situation is not everyone’s, nothing to do with being civil.

There is a flip side to that coin though. AppleCare is touted as the solution to a lot of things on this forum and in many countries it’s not needed, of course in countries like yours where insurance and products in general are significantly more expensive, it might be. It’s good to get different perspectives and I absolutely do get it. Speaking from personal experience, it is a scam where I live, people can agree or disagree with that depending on whether that is relevant to them.

Being civil was in reference to you taking a break from dropping in silly little digs, especially when it’s on very shakey ground.

• Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.