Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
I buy AC+ with all my Apple devices. You just never know when bad luck’s going to hit.

As for screen protectors, always. I’ve seen too many shattered screen protectors to know they are doing their job. Plus, it’s a lot quicker and a lot less inconvenient to replace a screen protector than to have to send in your device to get the screen replaced.

Yes, the Apple Store may do it locally. But I manage a fleet of iOS devices and a lot of those people are sales reps. It saves me a lot of headaches by putting cases and screen protectors on everything.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
6AFBA997-605E-4325-8BC5-E37000B7E5B8.jpeg

Yeah, I won’t be paying £199 for AppleCare+ over the span of 2 years for my iPhone 13 as I have a 2 piece £13 Miracase from Amazon which has a built in screen protector. The phone is so well protected I reasonably expect it to look brand new once my contract has been completed.

I won’t be paying the equivalent of 6 months of my entire 24 month SIM & phone contract just to insure the phone. I don’t have the word ‘mug’ written on my forehead so Apple won’t be taking me for a ride.

Last edited:

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
View attachment 2149526

Yeah, I won’t be paying £199 for AppleCare+ over the span of 2 years for my iPhone 13 as I have a 2 piece £13 Miracase from Amazon which has a built in screen protector. The phone is so well protected I reasonably expect it to look brand new once my contract has been completed.

I won’t be paying the equivalent of 6 months of my entire 24 month SIM & phone contract just to insure the phone. I don’t have the word ‘mug’ written on my forehead so Apple won’t be taking me for a ride.
I have never used a bulky case like that and my phone always looks brand new. Even the time I broke my screen (with a Totalee case on it) and had it fixed within 1 1/2 hours. I always get the full value back in trade for a new phone. That $199 is more than worth it to me compared to putting a slab like that on a svelte piece of hardware like an iPhone. To each their own though. Also, might be a good idea not to imply that people who want to insure their $1200 phone are "mugs".

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
It is true but some folks like me have spent our entire working life as a vehicle and aircraft mechanic and the environment we put the phones through is rough. When I retired 5 years ago from being a aviation mechanic I set up my home shop to work on my vehicles but still use a otter box and screen protector as I still work but just at my pace and I can set my phone on my tool chest. I still have it in the otter box because there is cement on the floor and I have knocked the phone to the floor.
I feel like you're the kind of person that Otterbox and other "thicc" cases were made for. You work hard physically and you're around concrete all the time. I feel like if I was in your situation I'd do the same.

Reactions: stanza.richi

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I feel like you're the kind of person that Otterbox and other "thicc" cases were made for. You work hard physically and you're around concrete all the time. I feel like if I was in your situation I'd do the same.
Yes that is true and the main reason I have the Otterbox on my phone. I can take the case off anytime but I am a touch on the lazy doing that. After a while I came to appreciate the fact that the rubber on the Otterbox is so grippy and the phone does not easily slide as much.

Years ago I had a iPhone 7 in a Otterbox that slipped out of my hand and took a dive down three flights of stairs on an aircraft stand when I was working on a Boeing 777. I do have admit the bounces were impressive and the phone landed face down on the concrete floor. I go down retrieve the phone and the Otterbox had scuffs and scratches in the rubber but the phone well nothing not a scratch, nick or dent. I think that sold more Otterboxs to my co-workers because half the crew I was working with saw the iPhone take a dive.

• Love
Reactions: LeahJoFoxtrot

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I have never used a bulky case like that and my phone always looks brand new. Even the time I broke my screen (with a Totalee case on it) and had it fixed within 1 1/2 hours. I always get the full value back in trade for a new phone. That $199 is more than worth it to me compared to putting a slab like that on a svelte piece of hardware like an iPhone. To each their own though. Also, might be a good idea not to imply that people who want to insure their $1200 phone are "mugs".
I like the look of the naked iPhone too however I will be using cases until Apple produce a device that is impervious to scratches, dents and chips.

Even AppleCare+ does not protect you from cosmetic damage. I personally think it’s a complete waste of cash to spend 1/4 the value of the phone on insurance over 2 years. It’s actually quite mind boggling when you consider that there are cheap options such as protective cases in existence. If you never leave your home and you have carpets everywhere, then yeah, you don’t need a case. If you’re out the house, around other people, etc… you really should have a case on your phone as accidents happen. Some people are lucky like yourself but you still cracked a screen. There are always unforeseen consequences and that’s why you have AppleCare+. I don’t require it because my phone is a lot tougher than a naked phone with all the protection. Yes, it’s not as pretty but it doesn’t impede usability and it’s still quite an attractive device regardless.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
So now with Apple care plus having unlimited screen replacement for only $29 per incident. Does anyone still feel like a screen protector is necessary. I didn’t use one with my 13 pro max and yeah at the end it I did have a micro scratch but when I did have a screen protector I was replacing it at least every six months from wear and tear and cracks. What do you all think?
Specifically, what is considered a coverable "incident" (scratch-wise), and how often can you have one that they will replace your screen for $29?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I own my own home so my iPhone is insured along with everything I own on that single policy. AppleCare at £199 would be unnecessary for me and ironically is around half the cost of insuring my house and contents! Goes to show how expensive it is for one item here. Apple must be rubbing their hands together in the US market as it’s certainly a very popular and promoted service amongst American posters on this forum.

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
I like the look of the naked iPhone too however I will be using cases until Apple produce a device that is impervious to scratches, dents and chips.

Even AppleCare+ does not protect you from cosmetic damage. I personally think it’s a complete waste of cash to spend 1/4 the value of the phone on insurance over 2 years. It’s actually quite mind boggling when you consider that there are cheap options such as protective cases in existence. If you never leave your home and you have carpets everywhere, then yeah, you don’t need a case. If you’re out the house, around other people, etc… you really should have a case on your phone as accidents happen. Some people are lucky like yourself but you still cracked a screen. There are always unforeseen consequences and that’s why you have AppleCare+. I don’t require it because my phone is a lot tougher than a naked phone with all the protection. Yes, it’s not as pretty but it doesn’t impede usability and it’s still quite an attractive device regardless.
Fair enough. To be honest I think I had an ultra thin case on my phone at the time which protected the sides from scuffs and the back to an extent from breakage. I love the svelte cases I just wish they'd make one that is perfectly clear so you can get the best of both worlds (so long as your phone doesn't have a catastrophic accident.)

EDIT: Totalee does make a clear case but it does end up being "blurry clear" not really frosted though.

Last edited:

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
I own my own home so my iPhone is insured along with everything I own on that single policy. AppleCare at £199 would be unnecessary for me and ironically is around half the cost of insuring my house and contents! Goes to show how expensive it is for one item here. Apple must be rubbing their hands together in the US market as it’s certainly a very popular and promoted service amongst American posters on this forum.
Thats true lol. I am pretty sure my renter's insurance covers the same. Loss, damage, and theft. I guess I didn't want to take the chance of misunderstanding my policy. Most of the time renter's insurance is "just something you have to get" when you get a place.

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
Yes that is true and the main reason I have the Otterbox on my phone. I can take the case off anytime but I am a touch on the lazy doing that. After a while I came to appreciate the fact that the rubber on the Otterbox is so grippy and the phone does not easily slide as much.

Years ago I had a iPhone 7 in a Otterbox that slipped out of my hand and took a dive down three flights of stairs on an aircraft stand when I was working on a Boeing 777. I do have admit the bounces were impressive and the phone landed face down on the concrete floor. I go down retrieve the phone and the Otterbox had scuffs and scratches in the rubber but the phone well nothing not a scratch, nick or dent. I think that sold more Otterboxs to my co-workers because half the crew I was working with saw the iPhone take a dive.
I'm software engineer and my job is as "cushy" as it comes lol. I even work from home in my carpeted second bedroom. I think I'm going to at least leave an ultra thin case on my phone.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Fair enough. To be honest I think I had an ultra thin case on my phone at the time which protected the sides from scuffs and the back to an extent from breakage. I love the svelte cases I just wish they'd make one that is perfectly clear so you can get the best of both worlds (so long as your phone doesn't have a catastrophic accident.)

EDIT: Totalee does make a clear case but it does end up being "blurry clear" not really frosted though.
Ultra thin cases are good for avoiding minor cosmetic damage as long as it’s nothing catastrophic. I would definitely use a thin case over absolutely nothing as AppleCare+ covers cracks to the screen and the glass back but does not cover cosmetic paint chips and dents to the frame. Those imperfections do bother me which is why I use protective cases. My previous 12 Mini was in a stylish Apple Silicone case which provided adequate protection from drops despite being reasonably thin. I never had any damage on that phone despite dropping it numerous times on hard surfaces. I am sure there are perfectly clear thin cases out there and I hope you find one.

• Love

Hele

macrumors member
May 14, 2022
Rhode Island
Some people are ok with a bulky case and a screen protector. I'm not. I use an ultra thin case made by Totalee and no screen protector. I've used their cases for years and I've been able to trade in my phone every year for as many years as they've been offering it. I'm even considering starting to carry my phone without a case at all. That said, I'm fortunate that I live within 20 minutes of an Apple store though. I'm paying $13.99 a month for AppleCare+ Theft and Loss I want to experience my phone as it was intended. iPhones are incredibly designed and it makes no sense putting a 2 inch thick Otterbox on it and a screen protector unless you work in construction or something.
I’m an electrician, and while I agree that OtterBox is best in a construction environment, I no longer use one. No case or screen protector for me. I don’t sweat the surface scratches or the $13.99/mo for AC+. I like having the insurance for catastrophic damage and especially for theft and loss. I love using my 13PM ceaseless and find it amusing that people think I’m living on the edge lol.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
AppleCare doesn’t cover scratches. The iPhone screens can and do still scratch. And the oleophobic coating can be worn away where your fingers are most active. None of that would be covered.

I did the no screen protector thing and scratched the **** out of my screen just from daily life. I don’t even put my phones in pockets. So no thanks. Screen protector for me.
I often wonder how many people think that scratches are covered by AppleCare, AppleCare+, or "incident" damage, only to be turned away because they aren't. 🤔

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
I often wonder how many people think that scratches are covered by AppleCare, AppleCare+, or "incident" damage, only to be turned away because they aren't. 🤔
What do you mean "incident damage"? If the screen is scratched but is later cracked (intentionally or otherwise) then it will get fixed? *shrug*

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
So now with Apple care plus having unlimited screen replacement for only $29 per incident. Does anyone still feel like a screen protector is necessary.

If break the phone due to a lack of a screen protector Apple Care is of no use if you can't access it, such as when traveling overseas. Would have lost a week or more of photo taking if my screen had broken when I dropped it rather than just the broken screen protector.

Plus, it’s a lot quicker and a lot less inconvenient to replace a screen protector than to have to send in your device to get the screen replaced.

Yes.

The phone is so well protected

There are still vulnerabilities, such as the ports. Or there is some system problem which they can't figure out. I've gotten apple care replacements for both reasons.

Last edited:

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Screen protector and case IMHO is always needed if you want to avoid getting your device repaired the case itself makes the device easier to hold.

Reactions: danb1979

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I don't understand what folks issues are when it comes to screen protectors

I'll never run any phone without one; it's personal choice, but they don't cause problems (unless it's cheap crap and naff film type protectors)

I've got the Spigen EZ fit protector on my 14 Pro Max; with the UAG case; both work faultlessly...

I buy my phones outright; so spending c£1400 on a phone and then c£12 on a screen protector to ensure the screen remains undamaged/unmarked etc, is an absolute no brainer!

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
There are still vulnerabilities, such as the ports. Or there is some system problem which they can't figure out. I've gotten apple care replacements for both reasons.
There is only one port which is the lightning port. I used it once for the initial charge to ensure it was in working order prior to immediately using a port cover on it. I am 100% wireless on this device now.

I have used lightning ports for the previous 7 years though and have never once had an issue. Most port problems are due to dust and lint buildup which can easily be dealt with. It is unlikely that a user would come across a port issue within the first 2 years of use. Where I come from, Apple offer 2 years of warranty. I genuinely have no use for AC+ as genuine defects like you’ve mentioned are covered.

Reactions: Fred Zed

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Not a fan of screen protectors. I have AC+ for shattered screens just in case. Very rare for me to get a microscratch on my iPhone.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
A month or so I forgot to take my beloved XS out of my pocket before putting the jeans in the washing machine.

My #1 requirement for the replacement was that it have AppleCare+. Yes, yes; it’s always cheaper to self-insure. But, if the insurance is any good (and AppleCare+ is about as good as it gets these days), it’s a really nice luxury. I like having my worries about the phone reduced from “Not only am I screwed without one, I really hate the thought of spending that much money and / or effort to get back up and running” to “How soon can I make it to the Genius Bar?” Note that the latter is unavoidable, no matter what; fortunately, I live about 20 minutes from three different Apple Stores, one each north, southeast, and northwest from my home. Plus, AppleCare+ is a predictable expense that’s much easier to budget for.

So I absolutely wasn’t going to put a case on my 13 mini. I briefly pondered a screen protector … but, since I’ve already got AppleCare+, decided it’d be a waste of money. For me, the only ones worth getting are the ones that they install for you at the Apple Store … and those cost $10 more than the warranty screen replacement, with zero added convenience.

I can’t stand those flimsy $10 DIY protectors … and changing them out every couple months? For those pinching pennies, that’s $60 / year in screen protectors; I could get two “incidents” with AppleCare+ in a year and still break even. (Yes, I’m spending more on the monthly premium for AppleCare+, but that’s for ease-of-mind against another … “laundry catastrophe,” so the screen replacement is, to my mind, a free add-on.)

I had my applied-at-the-Apple-store screen protector on the XS replaced at least once, maybe twice, and I got the XS only a couple months after launch. I expect I’ll get at least a year, probably three, before needing the screen replaced on my 13 mini.

So, for me, “full naked” is the least expensive, most worry-free, most luxurious choice.

Not hard to imagine, though, somebody doing heavy machine maintenance at a middle-of-nowhere industrial site (like mining) thinking it’d be absolutely nuts to forego the toughest-available case and that AppleCare+ a complete waste of money. Which is why those are also perfectly valid options.

Cheers,

b&

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
Is my comment really that difficult to comprehend?
Wow, you're a kind one. Your comment is confusing because you put "incident" in quotes which makes it sound like you're saying if incidentally the phone is wrecked that it is not covered by AppleCare+ which is incorrect. And yes, I'm saying some crazy people might break their phone screen to get a scratch fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.