Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I have a near-launch original Apple Watch, and for the first year of ownership, I was obsessive about protecting the screen. I tried most of the name brand protectors, and while they all worked to some degree, there's no seamless solution (compared to slapping a tempered glass protector on an iPad or iPhone).

I initially went down that rabbit hole to keep my device pristine for resale, but after Series 2 was announced, I realized that the watch resale/trade in market was going to be wholly different than other Apple devices. As in, I'll probably get nothing for it. Plus, I realized that all the time, money and effort I'd spent on screen protectors was stupid. IT'S A WATCH! For hundreds of years there's been watches and no one felt the need to put on a screen protector. And while the Apple Watch is more than just a watch, it's still a watch. Watches get banged up and scratched. That's just the nature of them. So why keep messing around with films, solutions and hair dryers?

So now, yes, I have some scratches on my screen. Most likely from banging into something at the gym. I got a cheap sweat band for my wrist that I put on when I do weight workouts. It keeps my watch protected and keeps me focused on my workout (and not constantly checking my progress). Otherwise? I live my life and wear my watch.

If series 3 is a game changer, I'll probably upgrade. I'll be lucky to resale my original watch for enough to cover the cost of Apple Care. But that's the nature of wearable devices.

TL;DR: Don't obsess about putting a screen protector on your watch! It's watch!

mstanco

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2017
Oyster Bay, NY
While there have been a lot of debate on using cases and screen protectors for a watch, my lifestyle and work will benefit from having a screen protector and for my sense of well being.
I've googled around and was wondering what everyone is ordering. I was lucky to get be in the wave of shipping on 4/24. I wonder how well these will fit? Will a glass screen protector like the iPhone work with the force touch?
https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Sk...00953729&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+watch+techskin highly recommend these, cant even tell theres a screen protector on

Reactions: Jodiuh and dhill7

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I had ordered a set of BestSkinsEver a while back before I got my watch. After getting it I decided I wasn't going to use them After knocking my watch on the side of my desk today I decided to put the screen protector on. It didn't go to smooth. Lucky they give you four. The first two were a failures with the corners not sticking. On the third attempt I cleaned the watch really well with isopropyl alcohol. That seemed to do the trick I put the the SP on the glass, let it dry for an hour on top of my warm router. When I went back to press down the corners they immediately stuck. Also, I pressed the corners down on the third attempt as opposed to rolling them down. I think on the first two attempts I might have stretched the corners a little. Looks great so far. We'll see how long it lasts.

[EDIT]
Well I spoke too soon. The tiny little spot in the lower right corner had some adhesive that looked to be damaged. Water got under it and started lifting the whole corner.
I have an order for the previously suggested RinoSkin.

2dpbJnv.jpg

Last edited:

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I got my delivery of the RinoSkin SHIELD that was suggested above. One issue is 4 of the 6 protectors had bubbles under the protector right on the shipping sheet. I emailed them with that concern so I'll wait to see what they say. Did anyone else get theirs in the same condition?

1wjJXIq.jpg

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I got my delivery of the RinoSkin SHIELD that was suggested above. One issue is 4 of the 6 protectors had bubbles under the protector right on the shipping sheet. I emailed them with that concern so I'll wait to see what they say. Did anyone else get theirs in the same condition?

What's wrong with bubbles right there? It must means they're not fully stuck the liner. I wouldn't worry about it one bit. They should still install just fine.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
What's wrong with bubbles right there? It must means they're not fully stuck the liner. I wouldn't worry about it one bit. They should still install just fine.
Some of the bubbles are at the edge of the SP's so I'm thinking dust will accumulate in the gap. They are sending me another batch. Let's see if those are the same.
I did install one though and have to say the installation was effortless. It's a wet install so alignment was easy. After letting it sit for 45min ( I used a lot of liquid) the edges went down as easy as can be. I did this late at night and there were a lot of micro bubbles. By morning those were all gone and the install is perfect.

I'm so glad these were suggested as it's only a matter of time before I knock it against a doorway or table.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
Did the corners really go down properly without using a heat gun?

I just put a Zagg protector on my 38mm and at first I didn’t think it was going to work out. But 6 hours later there are only 3 tiny bubbles which usually go away after a day or so, and the corners blend completely in. I’m happy with it.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I tried Zagg first because I've always had great experiences with their products on iPhone and iPad. The current Zagg protector for Watch lasted maybe 6 weeks before the corners began to peel up. I got a warranty replacement and after 4 weeks the 2nd one began to peel. I filed another claim, spent another $6 on warranty replacement and have it tucked away in my desk. I came across the RhinoSkins mentioned in this thread and they are a much better deal in my opinion. You get 6 of them for about 1/2 the price of one from Zagg. This means I'll always have a backup on hand should it start to peel. They're still not perfect, but they are an improvement over the Zagg option. I found the clarity on both to be comparible.

PDACPA

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Florida
Every link for the screen protector does not show AW 3. I thought the 3 was slightly bigger than the 2. Is the screen still the same size?

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
So I got around to putting on the RinoSkin SHIELD for my wife's 38mm. It was just as smooth as when I did mine.
The process was:
1. Clean watch with isopropyl alcohol.
2. Buff with cleaning cloth.
3. Brush dust off
4. Wet fingers and screen protector with soap solution.
5. Install and line up.
6. Squeegee water from under s/p with credit card. gift card, etc. I don't like the paper card they provide.
7. Let sit for 45 minutes. I set it on a warm router to help dry it.
8. Gently roll corners down then the sides.

Here is the video:

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
So I got around to putting on the RinoSkin SHIELD for my wife's 38mm. It was just as smooth as when I did mine.
The process was:
3. Brush dust off
5. Install and line up.
6. Squeegee water from under s/p with credit card. gift card, etc. I don't like the paper card they provide.

Here is the video:

Thanks for the video!!

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I received the ArmorSuit protectors today and the directions for installation are exactly like rstark18’s video. It went on pretty well but I’ll see in the morning how it looks.
Mine says best to wait 12-24 hours but I’m betting no one really does... am I right? Is that just to let it dry/set without much handling? I don’t touch my watch a lot so I’ll leave it overnight but wear it tomorrow as long as it looks set ok.
Any other tips?

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
No one answered so I went ahead and have been using my watch after the overnight sitting of the armorsuit. I caused a tiny lift myself trying to see if I could put a snap on bumper on, thinking to would protect the edge of the shield.... bad idea.
So, I’ve seen bumpers that come with screen protectors but I’m now guessing they are not full coverage (over the edges) because there is no way I can snap a hard bumper over this.

I was able to put on one that fits from the bottom, but it’s risky as it does butt up against the edge of the protector. I’m guess dust will try to build up in there and maybe cause the protector to start lifting?

Anyone with experiences using combos?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The process was:
3. Brush dust off
5. Install and line up.

Here is the video:

I actually thought this was Rhinoshield which would have had impact protection. This company ripped off their name and while the protector seems good I wanted this:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.