Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Just a 1 month update on the RinoSkin SHIELD. I can’t imagine not having a screen protector on now that I’ve been using one. It hasn’t lifted at all and I am definitely not babying my watch. When it finally does start to lift I will peel it off and put another on.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Just a 1 month update on the RinoSkin SHIELD. I can’t imagine not having a screen protector on now that I’ve been using one. It hasn’t lifted at all and I am definitely not babying my watch. When it finally does start to lift I will peel it off and put another on.
Thanks for the update. I had ordered, then put on an armorsuit one and scuffed the edge of it within a few days. It’s great and like you I’ll put another one on if it starts to lift...even though another discussion brought up Apple saying using screen protectors on the watch voids Apple care. That’s insane to me but I’d rather have a protector on and not have to repair the screen in the first place.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
...even though another discussion brought up Apple saying using screen protectors on the watch voids Apple care. That’s insane to me but I’d rather have a protector on and not have to repair the screen in the first place.
That would be insane.
I don’t believe that it’s true. I looked at the AC+ terms and conditions and it doesn’t mention covering the screen in any way. Not only that, how would they ever know if you did.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
That would be insane.
I don’t believe that it’s true. I looked at the AC+ terms and conditions and it doesn’t mention covering the screen in any way. Not only that, how would they ever know if you did.
That’s what someone else said and the poster said she was told they “would just know”.. someone else called (this was over the phone in the first place) and was told the same thing. I think they are confusing policy that probably is true if a third party device causes damage they won’t cover it.
Guess the original post indicated the owner asked if Apple sold or recommended a scree protector for the watches... I’m not calling but wish someone else would :)

Fpb1980

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
philadelphia
That’s what someone else said and the poster said she was told they “would just know”.. someone else called (this was over the phone in the first place) and was told the same thing. I think they are confusing policy that probably is true if a third party device causes damage they won’t cover it.
Guess the original post indicated the owner asked if Apple sold or recommended a scree protector for the watches... I’m not calling but wish someone else would :)
Just bought an aluminum version and was wondering if any screen protectors are holding up better than others. i was looking at skinomi and armoursuit.

Thanks

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I’ve been using the armour suit, am on my third one because I can’t stand corners that are even slightly lifted.. which is going to happen with popping covers on and off. But I talked to a guy at Best Buy who let me look close at his zagg that he said had been on for like a year and a half and barely had a touch of edge wear. I don’t know what to do. Guess I’ll just keep buying armour suit replacements that are a few dollar each, and maybe try the zagg

newnorm

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2018
Is there any film screen protector with curve edges to fully cover the glass in the market? I don't really like the extra layer of tempered glass on top of the watch.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The Armorsuit gets pretty close to the edges. I'm thinking about ordering one tonight.

https://www.amazon.com/Armorsuit-Pr...2726946&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+watch+armorsuit

Here's an installation video for the product.

I would go with IQ Shield over Armorsuit. While Armorsuit has much better customer service than IQ Shield, the quality of product of IQ is slightly better. It was less prone to peeling. I would have to replace Armorsuit almost weekly, I could go 2-3 months with IQ. With that being said - I eventually gave up after 1 year of always replacing the screen protector. Have only managed to get one tiny scratch in the corner of my watch since. Had my S0 for 2.5 months and now S3 since October.

HNL

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2017
The Netherlands
Skinomi techskin.
There are 6 pieces in the box..
Put it on my watch a year ago.. still in perfect condition (the skinomi and my watch ;-) )

Attachments

• skinomi.png
    skinomi.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 314

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Bought a packet of Spigen Crystal Clear protectors for my 42mm Space Grey watch - I think the protector looks pretty good (you can barely see if when looking at the watch).

Some pics:

View attachment 634540

View attachment 634541

View attachment 634542

View attachment 634543

View attachment 634544

Link to product:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UVSP7A4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Spigen does NOT cover the curved parts of the glass, however, it comes pretty close. In fact, these are the only protectors which I have seen which actually come as far as possible, before the screen actually starts to curve. Most protectors come WAY short of the curved glass (they are literally just a small horrible square), but the Spigen comes as close as possible.

I haven't tried the Zagg wet install ones however, I have used the Skinomi ones - which are pretty good (if you don't mind the 'orange peel' effect which ALL wet install protectors end up with).

....well, I still have the same watch AND the same protector on it!!!! Never changed it since initially installing it, and still think these are some of the best you can get.

Yes, I do have a scratch running from top left to bottom right of the protector but thats what its there for, to soak up scratches that would otherwise damage the glass of the watch.

I have tried a large number of wet instal type protectors and inevitably, the corners do end up peeling up (on ALL kinds and yes, I know how to install these correctly) + I hate the rubber sticky feel of these anyway (i.e. your fingers tend to stick to the protector when swiping on the screen).

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
What is general opinion here on 3D tempered glass protectors? I see several pages talking only about wet install films and such.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Has anybody used a 38mm Zagg or similar on a 42mm watch to allow for a case like the spigen tough armour to stop it lifting?

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I would go with IQ Shield over Armorsuit. While Armorsuit has much better customer service than IQ Shield, the quality of product of IQ is slightly better. It was less prone to peeling. I would have to replace Armorsuit almost weekly, I could go 2-3 months with IQ. With that being said - I eventually gave up after 1 year of always replacing the screen protector. Have only managed to get one tiny scratch in the corner of my watch since. Had my S0 for 2.5 months and now S3 since October.
I’m giving the IQ Shield a try on my S3. It’s my first time using a screen protector on the watch. For the last 3 years I’ve just put on the Spigen Rugged case if I thought I’d be doing some activity that may be rough on the watch. 2.5 years with the S0 and I only had 1 minor scratch on the bezel of the screen and another scratch on the body. Upgraded to the S3 in January and badly scratched the visible screen area within 2 weeks. Both models were aluminum. Now with a warranty replacement S3 I’m not taking any chances. I’ll see how long it takes for the edges to start peeling. Guess that’s why the screen protectors come in a 6-pack.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I’m giving the IQ Shield a try on my S3. It’s my first time using a screen protector on the watch. For the last 3 years I’ve just put on the Spigen Rugged case if I thought I’d be doing some activity that may be rough on the watch. 2.5 years with the S0 and I only had 1 minor scratch on the bezel of the screen and another scratch on the body. Upgraded to the S3 in January and badly scratched the visible screen area within 2 weeks. Both models were aluminum. Now with a warranty replacement S3 I’m not taking any chances. I’ll see how long it takes for the edges to start peeling. Guess that’s why the screen protectors come in a 6-pack.

Please let us know. I got tired of the armour suit edges, and happily went to zagg elite glass which I loved until breaking 3 of them in a month. Guess I can try the IQ ..

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
I have the IQ shield on mine right now. I switch between the IQ Shield and the Rhino Shield. The Rhino Shield seems to work better around the corners and also lasts longer.

I have ended up by replacing them every 2-3 months, due the corner/s peeling off.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I have been using ArmorSuit's edge to edge wet install HD Clear screen protector on both the Series 2 and Series 3 for the the past few years and they are excellent in protecting the screen from damage, Any info on when they will release a Series 4 version of their HD Screen protector? The nature of my profession at work has to do with abrasives which is why i need a quality screen protector for my apple watch.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I became a believer the first time I removed a screen protector that was peeling from age.
Holding it up to the light the plastic looked like the surface of the moon verses a new one.
The watch crystal would have been the surface taking the pounding without that cushion of plastic.
The screen on my S2 looks new. Im going to keep it that way with less than $8 dollars of insurance.
Have had the best success with IQShield Matt products for Crystal Coverage, Longevity, and price.
I've tried others but most didn't cover all the curves and glass or started to edge curl in less than a month.
YMMV

Yomama126

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
My S3 scratched quite bit, and when I finally wised up I used a few wet application protectors, then a few replacements of Zagg's and then the Zagg Elite. It cracked in such a way that it was sharp, and when it was removed it lifted the screen. Apple did a warranty replacement for a swollen battery, but I'm hesitant to do another tempered glass on my new S4. I've been using this (please don't laugh) and it's not perfect as water can occasionally get under it, but I'm the most clumsy girl in the world. I've never once dropped my watch, so all my bumps come from daily wear. I hope they come out with one for S4
https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-P...e=UTF8&qid=1537193084&sr=8-5&keywords=SIRUIBO

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I used to use them but they didn't stay on... so finally I just gave up. My rose gold series 0 watch has a large are of scratches *mad*. So i'm seriously considering going back to trying one with my new SS one..... (my black original release watch doesn't have any scratches and it's the one I wear for yard work, days at the range, working out, etc.... I have no idea WTH I did to the pink one that is more my work, shopping, etc watch!)

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
ArmorSuit notified me Via email that their series 4 screen protectors should be up for sale on their website by Wednesday

holtmate

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
Newport, KY
ArmorSuit notified me Via email that their series 4 screen protectors should be up for sale on their website by Wednesday
I just checked ArmorSuit's site, and the screen protectors are there now, along with a 30% off coupon code.
This will be my first Apple watch, so I may get one of these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.