Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamdman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
Those 15pro and max users, how are you guys having luck with screen uniformity and color cast? My uniformity looks good in 15 pro max but the color cast is more yellow compared to my 14 pro . I have to turn off True Tone. Wondering those upgraded from 14 pro see similar? Love the size coming back from reg pro but the color cast is a bummer!

Last edited:
Reactions: rolan2q and HavocRO

HavocRO

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Hi!Same here, the screen is good but the True Tone is much more agressive (the yellowish tint) compared with an iPhone 13 Pro Max.
For the first time I'm thinking to turn off the True Tone, though I used to like it.

Reactions: Ron21

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I posted about this in another thread but my 15 PM isn’t the best. A little more bright or cooler on the right than the left side. I’m picky so I will either exchange it or return it.
My wife also noticed it and she normally doesn’t notice anything. I’m already chatting with Apple.

I’m a little bummed but I hope everyone is enjoying their new phones 😌

• Wow
Reactions: zonai

iamdman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
Ok - so it just not me. I don’t have the brightness issue though. Guess will get used to it in a day and as long don’t have a phone to compare with 😁

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Mine looks good. It looks uniform in terms of brightness and colour. Screen quality is one thing I am really fussy about on any device such as a phone/tablet/tv or monitor because it's how you interact with it and there is something wrong with it then I'll not settle. I can't say I've noticed any issues with my Pro Max screen.

Comparing it side to side with my old 12 PM the 15 PM is so much better. The 12 PM has a very noticeable green tint and colours look duller. The screen on the 12 PM can't get as bright.

If I were having any display issues I'd already have been back to the Apple Store today looking for a replacement. Any kind of screen defect is not acceptable for me.

HavocRO

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Mine looks good. It looks uniform in terms of brightness and colour. Screen quality is one thing I am really fussy about on any device such as a phone/tablet/tv or monitor because it's how you interact with it and there is something wrong with it then I'll not settle. I can't say I've noticed any issues with my Pro Max screen.

Comparing it side to side with my old 12 PM the 15 PM is so much better. The 12 PM has a very noticeable green tint and colours look duller. The screen on the 12 PM can't get as bright.

If I were having any display issues I'd already have been back to the Apple Store today looking for a replacement. Any kind of screen defect is not acceptable for me.
Mine doesn't have a screen problem as hardware issue, it seems software wise is an issue with True Tone(too yellowish), without True Tone it's perfect(a bit too white than what I'm used to), colors are way better then my previous 13 Pro Max.
A picture to see how much better 15 is compared to previous one( 13 left, 15 right)
IMG_0020.jpeg

Reactions: Jetcat3

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I posted about this in another thread but my 15 PM isn’t the best. A little more bright or cooler on the right than the left side. I’m picky so I will either exchange it or return it.
My wife also noticed it and she normally doesn’t notice anything. I’m already chatting with Apple.

I’m a little bummed but I hope everyone is enjoying their new phones 😌
My 15 PM looks warmer on the right side! Turning True Tone off seems to help a bit. What did Apple support say?

Reactions: Delorean2006

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
My 15 PM looks warmer on the right side! Turning True Tone off seems to help a bit. What did Apple support say?
They gave me the option of a return or a swap. No problems at all. I ended up returning it. I may grab one later on but it kinda took the fun out of the experience of getting a new phone. Im just sticking with my 13PM a little longer. It still works great.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I’m wondering if it’s maybe a software issue because last night it looked really bad, but this morning I’m not really seeing issues. So maybe it’s Night Shift? I don’t want to return my phone because I wouldn’t be able to get another one for a month or so, probably. I’d rather do a screen swap or something. I went through so much trouble to get this phone, going to 2 Apple Stores, I made 3 orders, spent hours on the phone with my carrier and Apple, etc. so if I just give it back it’s a waste. I’m thinking of taking it into the Apple Store maybe during the week when the chaos dies down a bit.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
This is why I pre-order two iPhones now. It’s sad that I even have to do this, but their screen QC is not good, imo.

The 1st 15PM I opened looked great until I turned TT or night shift on. It had very noticeable red-orange tint along the right side of the screen.

2nd one is flawless.

Rather than return I am likely going to sell it for the same amount I spent since it’s in such high demand and 99% of users would never notice it.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
This is why I pre-order two iPhones now. It’s sad that I even have to do this, but their screen QC is not good, imo.

The 1st 15PM I opened looked great until I turned TT or night shift on. It had very noticeable red-orange tint along the right side of the screen.

2nd one is flawless.

Rather than return I am likely going to sell it for the same amount I spent since it’s in such high demand and 99% of users would never notice it.
Why on earth would you sell it rather than just return it?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Why on earth would you sell it rather than just return it?
I woke up this morning and asked myself the same thing 😂. I think I feel guilty on some level returning a phone due to an issue that almost nobody else would notice.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Pretty good but got a dead pixel tho lol but I’m going to keep it and not gonna play the lottery again like I did with the 14PM haha

• Wow
Reactions: smorrissey

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Pretty good but got a dead pixel tho lol but I’m going to keep it and not gonna play the lottery again like I did with the 14PM haha
This would be an auto-return for me. I’d return it, really unlikely you’d get another dead pixel.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
This would be an auto-return for me. I’d return it, really unlikely you’d get another dead pixel.
Last year I returned my first 14PM because of dust in the camera. The other 6 14 PM I bought after had all had dead pixel unfortunately and in the end I just gave up….the dead pixel is on the border of the screen of my 15PM so it’s not really a big deal for me but if it was on the center then yeah i would’ve returned it for sure. Got 2 years of warranty here in Italy so I’m just gonna use that later if I want too.

• Wow
Reactions: Harthag

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Not really but NS make uniformity issues more noticeable. Cooler screens hide issues better but they are there if you look closely and are person who is sensitive to this type of issues (like me).

Anyway, it is lottery and not sure I'm gonna do anything since I already ordered two 15 Pro Max with both more or less pink tint in some part of the screen but one of them is the worse with left side and upper part of the screen noticeable pink while other only pinkish on the upper part of the screen. Also one that shows this issue more has warmer looking screen. I checked display manufacturer and was surprised to see that worse one was G9N and better one G9P. But I guess mostly it depends on which part of the OLED is cut, usually outer edge parts are worse than ones in the middle.

A little annoying to see that in 1.5k phone when similar featured AMOLED in some cheaper phones are neutral looking.
But not sure I'm gonna try anything as I already had nightmare with my previous 12 Pro trying to find a good one and it took months to go through phone after phone.

How bad uniformity issues other are seeing with 15 Pro Max?
It is easy to see whether there are issues testing it with most demanding conditions where probably anyone can spot this problem if it is there. Turn on TT and NS, then go to NS settings and turn it to most warm (slider all the way to the right) and now image gets really warm. Now open a web site or similar with mostly white or just go to phone's settings (in light mode) and scroll until you have equally spaced lines of text filling the screen, then compare different parts of the picture if you see any difference? Also do this test using different brightness setting, usually 100% show this issue easily. Also after trying this and turning off NS and even TT most will "see" image getting improved but it is usually just that in cooler image issue is harder to see, it is there but likely you notice it a some point if you are sensitive to this.
The problem was when I went to the Apple Store, they ran their own diagnostics, which disables True Tone and Night Shift and cranks brightness to 100%. The issue I'm having is that the tint is only really visible at low brightnesses with True Tone and Night Shift both switched on. The main store rep who was working with me said he saw the issue, and so did another guy, but then later the main rep backtrack and tried to say he didn't see any tinting. And he kept bringing over more and more employees who were swearing they couldn't see it. I used this very site as a test and the gray bar for quotes/replies looked different on the right side of the screen vs the left side, but they kept saying they couldn't see it. And even fi they did, they didn't have a replacement phone or any parts available.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
The problem was when I went to the Apple Store, they ran their own diagnostics, which disables True Tone and Night Shift and cranks brightness to 100%. The issue I'm having is that the tint is only really visible at low brightnesses with True Tone and Night Shift both switched on. The main store rep who was working with me said he saw the issue, and so did another guy, but then later the main rep backtrack and tried to say he didn't see any tinting. And he kept bringing over more and more employees who were swearing they couldn't see it. I used this very site as a test and the gray bar for quotes/replies looked different on the right side of the screen vs the left side, but they kept saying they couldn't see it. And even fi they did, they didn't have a replacement phone or any parts available.
Classic Apple employees behavior….same thing happened to me in May with the 14PM but instead of screen uniformity it was for a dead pixel…
they all sweared they couldn’t see it smh I even showed them a photo i took with another 14PM on macro mode but didn’t believe me therefore they couldn’t swap it out.
But when I used the camera of the iPhones on display, where the dead pixel was clearly visible, they changed the reason why they didn’t/couldn’t want to swap it : this time according to them it’s a very small thing and does not fall as a defect :/ so for them I had to keep a phone that’s clearly faulty because they did not see anything strange... In the end I just returned it!
Btw it’s the biggest Apple Store in my city(and Europe) and not some third party reseller.

Last edited:

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
It is no use trying to show this problem to someone in that type of environment. Too bad this is how most companies insist testing faults like this.

Anyone seeing any difference in uniformity between G9N and G9P screens? I have both but neither is perfect and to my surprise G9N might be even worse.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by “that type of environment?” I think we’re on the same page but curious what you mean that. And how can I check which kind of screen I have?
Classic Apple employees behavior….same thing happened to me in May with the 14PM but instead of screen uniformity it was for a dead pixel…
they all sweared they couldn’t see it smh I even showed them a photo i took with another 14PM on macro mode but didn’t believe me therefore they couldn’t swap it out.
But when I used the camera of the iPhones on display, where the dead pixel was clearly visible, they changed the reason why they didn’t/couldn’t want to swap it : this time according to them it’s a very small thing and does not fall as a defect :/ so for them I had to keep a phone that’s clearly faulty because they did not see anything strange... In the end I just returned it!
Btw it’s the biggest Apple Store in my city(and Europe) and not some third party reseller.
Yeah I was starting to lose my cool when the guy was telling Apple employees he couldn’t see it especially after he and another guy told me they saw it. I even had pictures of the red tint I took with another iPhone, and they said they couldn’t go off a screenshot. Well, 2 employees of that store said they saw it, but they kept up this charade of pretending like I was just seeing things.

Mcw40

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
I came from a IP 13PM and noticed that the screen of the 15 PM has a greenshift where the IP PM13 has a blue shift when looking from an angel on the screen. First that was very distracting but now i am slowly getting used to it. Do you all have a greenshift when looking from the side or are there also Displays with a blueshift which i would have preferred.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I came from a IP 13PM and noticed that the screen of the 15 PM has a greenshift where the IP PM13 has a blue shift when looking from an angel on the screen. First that was very distracting but now i am slowly getting used to it. Do you all have a greenshift when looking from the side or are there also Displays with a blueshift which i would have preferred.
We ordered 3 iPhone 15 pro. Sister me and dad.

Mine has the blue shift. Sisters is green and dads is like a mustard yellow.

Screen lottery is real. Good luck

Mcw40

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Are the screens beside of the colour shift equal in qualitiy or is one better than the others?

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Can you elaborate on what you mean by “that type of environment?” I think we’re on the same page but curious what you mean that. And how can I check which kind of screen I have?

Yeah I was starting to lose my cool when the guy was telling Apple employees he couldn’t see it especially after he and another guy told me they saw it. I even had pictures of the red tint I took with another iPhone, and they said they couldn’t go off a screenshot. Well, 2 employees of that store said they saw it, but they kept up this charade of pretending like I was just seeing things.
This is exactly my experience with a uniformity issue on my 13PM. The Apple Store people are just robots who cannot do anything without their diagnostics tool passing. There is no use going to the store. Just call Apple Support and get an express replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.