Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Sorry for me being so vague. I simply meant that conditions in shop is usually that it is very bright environment so checking issues like this is nearly impossible. And even if they bother checking it in a dark room, they just quickly do that ignoring the fact that it takes a while for eyes to adjust that to be able to even see what you try to tell them.
Okay, yeah, exactly. I mentioned several times that it was happening to me at low brightness and at night, and I pointed to the lighting a few times too and mentioned it was too bright to see the issue there. When they turned it down to 0% brightness, even I couldn't see the screen so there was no point looking for the tint like that.
BTW. Not sure all in this thread are talking about the same issue. My issue is that different parts of the screen have different hue when viewing it straight angle using full screen white image (and this issue shows best when using NS and TT). I'm not talking about color cast when you view it from an angle, which is typical for OLED to show some kind of color cast doing that.
My phone does not have a cast when viewed from an angle. I want to mention here that I have several OLED TVs at home, and one of them had a really similar issue to what I'm facing with my iPhone 15 PM now, in that a part of the left side of the screen is red-tinted when viewing a white screen or light-colored content. It's especially noticeable for content like basketball games or certain video games that display white screens when loading or in cutscenes. Back to the phone, I did download a full screen white image, but it's not so visible unless it's nighttime when it's really dark. I like to keep my phone brightness low, but even then with auto-brightness setting the brightness quite low, it's pretty noticeable at night and early morning.

IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg

These are some of the better pictures I got of the issue using an SE to take the pictures.

TooMuchPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
I like my m1 iPad Pro screen better. Possible oled doesn’t agree with me but I just don’t find the tone and uniformity to be as good as the iPad.

Reactions: GoldenChild

Kurt871

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2004
@clcl How can one determine the panel type?
[edit] Never mind, saw you explained in an earlier post.

Last edited:

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
I checked display manufacturer and was surprised to see that worse one was G9N and better one G9P
I have a seemingly perfect G9P display

Is there anything that officially documents that the 3rd character somehow implies a quality grade and not just some other aspect of manufacture?

Last edited:

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
GPN display and it’s perfect. Bought 3 iPhones to compare between my family and I took the best haha

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I can’t but I can tell you this.
can we get a comparison photo out of curiosity
I’ve replaced over 25+ iPhone 4s in 2010 due to yellow screens. That’s how I joined this forum.

Every year my family upgrades. We each get 3 phones. The one I’m using is the whitest of the 3. And the biggest thing is the tilt. When I tilt my phone, the screen gets brighter or more blue. The other phones got more of a mustard yellow.

Using a sample grey image at 15% brightness all 3 were uniform.

By the way I googled G9P G9N and saw this on several websites
“ The iPhone 13Pro/Max comes with 3 screens. They are G9N, G9P, and G9Q. G9N is the best screen made by Korean screen manufacturer Samsung.”

So I’m wondering why people are saying the G9P is the best? Since iPhone 11 Pro most forums and websites say g9n is the best

Reactions: BrightCanon

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
That, if you don’t mind me saying, is f**king ridiculous.
Well almost 90% of those I was working with apple and engineers and employees from the factory. It was a very long ordeal. Apple was aware of everything.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Pretty good but got a dead pixel tho lol but I’m going to keep it and not gonna play the lottery again like I did with the 14PM haha

This would be an auto-return for me. I’d return it, really unlikely you’d get another dead pixel.

Last year I returned my first 14PM because of dust in the camera. The other 6 14 PM I bought after had all had dead pixel unfortunately and in the end I just gave up….the dead pixel is on the border of the screen of my 15PM so it’s not really a big deal for me but if it was on the center then yeah i would’ve returned it for sure. Got 2 years of warranty here in Italy so I’m just gonna use that later if I want too.
I returned my first 14 Pro last year because of a slight yellow tint compared to my old 12 Pro.
This year with my Nat Titanium 15 Pro there's a small straight mark in line with the brushed finish above the Action button. The screen however is uniform and the cameras are dust free so I'm living with it. With how constrained stock is this year, I can't be bothered to play the return lottery when I could get a phone with actual defects and my first 15 Pro works perfectly fine.

Reactions: Robot21

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I returned my first 14 Pro last year because of a slight yellow tint compared to my old 12 Pro.
This year with my Nat Titanium 15 Pro there's a small straight mark in line with the brushed finish above the Action button. The screen however is uniform and the cameras are dust free so I'm living with it. With how constrained stock is this year, I can't be bothered to play the return lottery when I could get a phone with actual defects and my first 15 Pro works perfectly fine.

I would too

screen > scratches/body imperfections

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Fair enough. I've had more of a play with mine and I'm going to return it as the volume up button is mushy compared to the other buttons. I can live with the mark but mushy buttons are annoying as I can't tell when the button is being pressed.

Yeah that’s fair too all I know is panel lottery is hell

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
In the end my gonna return my 15PM with a dead pixel…even tho it’s such a small defect unfortunately once you see the dead pixel you can’t unsee it :/ so bummed because everything else is pretty much perfect…oh well.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
In the end my gonna return my 15PM with a dead pixel…even tho it’s such a small defect unfortunately once you see the dead pixel you can’t unsee it :/ so bummed because everything else is pretty much perfect…oh well.
Any screen issues like obvious OLED tinting, non-uniform screen (i.e. different brightness between sides), or a dead pixel would be an automatic return. You have to look at this screen all day every day. Reminds me of the OLED tv panel lottery.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I limit myself to 3 iPhones per launch due to defects, etc. My original 15PM had a red / orange tint along the right side of the screen in low brightness, looked worse with night shift / TT on. Returned that one, my current one is better. It is a bit uneven bottom half of screen vs top, maybe it’s a slight red tint at bottom half and the top half could be greenish, I can’t tell. But it’s tolerable if I have to live with it, only noticeable on white screens. Dark mode there’s no ugly green tint on gray screens, it’s totally even.

Nonetheless, trying for a 3rd and final time, have one set for pick up on Monday morning.

I only have these issues with iPhone screens. I wonder if they just have more tolerance considering the volume of phones needed. I’ve had newer Pixels and Galaxy S series with completely uniform screens. The Pixel 3 was horrible, but no issues after that.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I limit myself to 3 iPhones per launch due to defects, etc. My original 15PM had a red / orange tint along the right side of the screen in low brightness, looked worse with night shift / TT on. Returned that one, my current one is better. It is a bit uneven bottom half of screen vs top, maybe it’s a slight red tint at bottom half and the top half could be greenish, I can’t tell. But it’s tolerable if I have to live with it, only noticeable on white screens. Dark mode there’s no ugly green tint on gray screens, it’s totally even.

Nonetheless, trying for a 3rd and final time, have one set for pick up on Monday morning.

I only have these issues with iPhone screens. I wonder if they just have more tolerance considering the volume of phones needed. I’ve had newer Pixels and Galaxy S series with completely uniform screens. The Pixel 3 was horrible, but no issues after that.
I was / am the same 3 is my max exchange tolerance. I got real fortunate with the Iphone 14PM out the box it was acceptable , as was my MBP 14 M1.

Reactions: Harthag

grator

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
France
Is there a way to check the screen serial number without 3utools? I don't have a Windows PC at home sadly.
Thanks.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022

How are you getting all these Pro Max’s? I’m trying to see if I can put an order in to exchange it and I’ve never seen a 256GB PM in stock anywhere near me after launch day

fessura

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
Is there a way to check the screen serial number without 3utools? I don't have a Windows PC at home sadly.
Thanks.
Look up sysdiagnose. From what I recall, from 3utools I think it was, some were also able to lookup SSD manufacturer and other info. I'm curious if there's another way for such and if it's still possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.