Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I just used sysdiagnose, and my display is a G9N. What does this mean?

CaramelSky

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2022
G9N here and its got a warmer tint, my 14 Pro is G9L and much cooler - for what its worth. Probably will just deal with it

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
tWhere did you get the info in Sysdiagnose? I ran it, but there is a lot of files.
Thanks.
It's in the file called "IODeviceTree.txt" and search for "raw-panel-serial-number"
G9N here and its got a warmer tint, my 14 Pro is G9L and much cooler - for what its worth. Probably will just deal with it
Wait so maybe this is a thing! Because mine is tinted warmer on the right side.

Reactions: grator

CaramelSky

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2022
It's in the file called "IODeviceTree.txt" and search for "raw-panel-serial-number"

Wait so maybe this is a thing! Because mine is tinted warmer on the right side.
Woah.. I just noticed mine is warmer on the right side too. This is gonna annoy me now hahaha

fessura

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
G9N here and its got a warmer tint, my 14 Pro is G9L and much cooler - for what it’s worth. Probably will just deal with it
Guessing perhaps some tint variation is within spec of G9N, or such changes per year or screen tech generation, or something.

Also have a G9N and it seems great. I’ll possibly later compare with others. I recall others in this thread or elsewhere mentioned some codes that seem not mentioned elsewhere with the impression that they were possibly better, perhaps new.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
How are you getting all these Pro Max’s? I’m trying to see if I can put an order in to exchange it and I’ve never seen a 256GB PM in stock anywhere near me after launch day
he prob pre ordered 3 of them and got launch day delivery

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
How are you getting all these Pro Max’s? I’m trying to see if I can put an order in to exchange it and I’ve never seen a 256GB PM in stock anywhere near me after launch day
I pre-ordered two for launch day which I always do. One delivery and one in store pickup. If the delivered phone is good I just cancel the store pickup.

I got lucky on Friday and secured one for pick up at a local Apple Store tomorrow. I had the app and website open at same time and saw green in stock and pounced. They only last for seconds when it shows in stock.

Reactions: Fred Zed

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Got lucky this year (don’t normally) and got a Pro with a screen that is completely even and has no colour cast at all, greyscale is perfect at all brightness levels too. Must be from close to centre of the wafer.

Reactions: BrightCanon

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Those 15pro and max users, how are you guys having luck with screen uniformity and color cast? My uniformity looks good in 15 pro max but the color cast is more yellow compared to my 14 pro . I have to turn off True Tone. Wondering those upgraded from 14 pro see similar? Love the size coming back from reg pro but the color cast is a bummer!
I have not noticed this as it does not impact me much. Do not overthink it. Is this color cast issue a big deal or a deal breaker for you? if it is, you may want to return to your 14 pro. If it is not, enjoy the new phone! 😊

CaramelSky

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2022
Probably gonna return my 15 Pro and play the lottery again. With night shift on the tint is so green its distracting, especially compared to my 14. Honestly the lowest quality display I’ve ever had in an iPhone - pretty ******. Hoping I just got a particularly poor one and the next ones alright

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Just picked up another 15PM to compare. This one is perfect. Perfectly uniform screen and no tint / hue issues in normal light or dim light / night shift. No pixel issues, no dust, no dings. Slapped a screen protector on and transferring my data now.

Don't settle / let Apple run with your money when it comes to screen issues. I've used $400 phones that have perfect screens, there's no excuse for Apple.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Probably gonna return my 15 Pro and play the lottery again. With night shift on the tint is so green its distracting, especially compared to my 14. Honestly the lowest quality display I’ve ever had in an iPhone - pretty ******. Hoping I just got a particularly poor one and the next ones alright
Green tint is back again ? Oh NO.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Just picked up another 15PM to compare. This one is perfect. Perfectly uniform screen and no tint / hue issues in normal light or dim light / night shift. No pixel issues, no dust, no dings. Slapped a screen protector on and transferring my data now.

Don't settle / let Apple run with your money when it comes to screen issues. I've used $400 phones that have perfect screens, there's no excuse for Apple.
just returned my NT 15PM with dead pixel this morning. Hope I can find one in the next couple of weeks 🤞 NT been sold out since launch day here in Italy 😅

Reactions: Harthag

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
When I was having heating issues with my 15pm the right side of my screen was noticeably warmer. Now that I’ve figured out what settings for the phone to keep the phone cooler, the uniformity is even across the screen. Seems that when my phone heated up, it threw off the colors on the screen.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
When I was having heating issues with my 15pm the right side of my screen was noticeably warmer. Now that I’ve figured out what settings for the phone to keep the phone cooler, the uniformity is even across the screen. Seems that when my phone heated up, it threw off the colors on the screen.
Which settings?

CaramelSky

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2022
Bought another 15 Pro today to compare with my current one.

Night and day difference, noticed better brightness straight away during setup which wasn't even an issue before. Whites were much better too. Stuck it on night shift and compared both in low light. The new one is much better, really uniform. There’s still a degree of greenish/yellowish tint to the display. I think Apples tuned the display colours compared to the 14s.

Highly recommend returning and trying another one if you're experiencing this.

EDIT: Will check which panel I have on this new device tonight and let you know.

Last edited:

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I had essentially perfect uniformity on my 13PM, had to return 2 phones to get a decent 14PM, and got an essentially perfect 15PM first go.

Chynonyno

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
I have a seemingly perfect G9P display

Is there anything that officially documents that the 3rd character somehow implies a quality grade and not just some other aspect of manufacture?
How did you know what type of display your device has?

CaramelSky

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2022
My new device is G9P as well... I think the theory about G9N being the best display doesn't mean anything. Seems like a lot of the G9N's from the 15's are less uniform based on this thread

Chynonyno

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
I have iphone 15 pro and 15 pro max and both are almost the same.

Both with G9N screens and the Pro is perhaps slightly brighter at maximum brightness.

I must say that if the phone is hot, working or downloading to iCloud, the maximum brightness is reduced. This must be taken into account to make the comparison.

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
My new device is G9P as well... I think the theory about G9N being the best display doesn't mean anything. Seems like a lot of the G9N's from the 15's are less uniform based on this thread
Screen uniformity has to do with where the OLED substrate was cut from in the wafer not who manufactured it. Photolithography is (as far as I’m aware) the same for all the suppliers of high end mobile OLED screens. If you are lucky and get a screen cut from the centre or reasonably close to centre the screen will be even. As you move further out from the centre of the wafer the uniformity becomes worse and those from the edge of the wafer will be the most uneven.

Reactions: Ilp.23 and Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Screen uniformity has to do with where the OLED substrate was cut from in the wafer not who manufactured it. Photolithography is (as far as I’m aware) the same for all the suppliers of high end mobile OLED screens. If you are lucky and get a screen cut from the centre or reasonably close to centre the screen will be even. As you move further out from the centre of the wafer the uniformity becomes worse and those from the edge of the wafer will be the most uneven.
You’d think a company with the resources Apple has would only use the better quality “cuts” / have stricter tolerance for a $1100+ phone. I guess not. Need to cut costs somewhere, it’s the Apple way.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
You’d think a company with the resources Apple has would only use the better quality “cuts” / have stricter tolerance for a $1100+ phone. I guess not. Need to cut costs somewhere, it’s the Apple way.
100% , I cannot wait until the next display technology is used for iPhones. Perhaps in 4 years time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.