Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
By the way: the actors are just outstanding. Mr. Milkshake acting is superb, the female boss (Miss Coven?) is a great actress as well.
Agreed, although I think his name is Mr. Milchick.

(That dancing scene was absolutely bizarre)

Also, I believe the name of the female boss is Ms. Cobel (Harmony Cobel). The actor who plays her has done an amazing job so far.

Where did you hear that there are only two episodes left? Considering how slowly the story is progressing, I’d be surprised if that was the case.

That twist at the end of the last episode was crazy though. I didn’t realize that Ms. Casey is Mark’s wife! I wonder why she isn’t actually dead? ?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I've just caught up on this show. I'm really enjoying it, even though it is slow paced. To me, the pacing is very deliberate, unlike other shows that are slow, but in a haphazard way.

The thing that I'm getting out of this show is how thought provoking the concept is. The various characters have different reasons for undergoing the process and it's just so interesting. Mark's reasoning for undergoing the process seems to be that he can't cope with losing his wife and can't function anymore. He's unable to work, so he still needs a way to support himself, so working at Lumon allows him to support himself and he has the bonus of being able to forget 8 hours of his work day.

Helly's motivations are interesting. She obviously is determined to keep her "innie" working there, even after several attempts at injuring herself and even suicide. But "outie" Helly doesn't even see her other half as being human.

Irving seemed to be very content, but that's only his innie. We haven't seen anything about his outie, other than perhaps he doesn't get much sleep. But innie Irving is ready to burn the place down once Burt is retired.

Lastly, Dylan. Prior to the Overtime thing, you get the sense that maybe Dylan is a loner ... maybe a loser type, based on how his innie acts. But then it turns out that he has a nice house, with a son who seems to love him very much. What's outie Dylan's motivation for severing?

Lastly, we come to Petey. Obviously, the divorce hit him hard, but it seems their relationship was still at least decent enough for his ex-wife to do the funeral. His daughter seems to love him very much. What else drove Petey to sever?

I'm hoping that they can close out some of the story lines in the next two episodes. I'm sure they'll carry some of the mystery into Season 2.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
The latest episode was really good - I like the pacing after a while. The first 2 episodes was like "COME ON. GET TO HAPPENING!" Now I appreciate the pace and the various relationships between the peoples.

The photograph that Mark rips apart in a drunken mood and then puts back together is an image of the -sudden departure- counselor that was very strict with its patients. Including when Mark was getting the treatment by her.
It was kinda hard to see at first, since innie and outies have a different appearance. It was shown for a brief moment as Mark 3M-tapes the photograph back together.
I hope I was seeing it right?!
It would make sense if Mark's' wife accident wasn't fatal and that they have been around each other without knowing who's who because of the severeance
Again, I must not have remembered the cause of Mark's wife death - if she is dead-dead. Of course then she must live as an outie somewhere too

I sure hope that with a couple of episodes left in the first season - that the cliffhanger will be of such proportions that I'll continue being glued to the "TV-set"

Edit.. I can see from an earlier comment in this thread that I unintentionally wrote what was already said. Didn't mean to parrot

Last edited:

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
This series is fantastic, and honestly I feel sorry for those that can't find enjoyment in it.

It's great that its released episodically. It's such a unique and bizarre mystery that you can't help but be sucked in.

If this was on a more mainstream service like Netflix it would be raved about like Squid Game. Hat's off to all those that have put it together.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
When I watched the first episode I thought it was a no go for me... I stuck with it and now am hooked to see how the story ends. You have the maze... just waiting for them to all to find the cheese to mark the exit of this experiment.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The finale was excellent. I didn’t get as much closure, but man, some of the story lines are gonna be top notch for season 2.

The scenes with Helly’s outtie we’re really unexpected. Her outtie was a complete shocker. Also with this story line, the whole idea of outside severance is really thought provoking.

Petey was trying to blow the lid off of Lumon and he and the doctor chose Mark. It’s clear that Irving should have been the one they should have tried to contact. Irving was already trying to figure stuff out. Or maybe the doctor is already in contact with Irving.

im really intrigued with Dylan’s outtie. He’s got three kids and a seemingly nice life. Maybe his outtie is motivated entirely by money and maybe Lumon pays a lot.

does Milchik have a life outside Lumon? He’s on the Severed floor practically all the time. He’s there before MDR gets in. He stays late. The only time he was out was when he was in the stairwell to greet outtie Helly on her first day.

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Just started my 3 month, trial courtesy of my M1 MBP, and this is the first show we binged and WOW, very impressed.

On the topic of pace, I really appreciated the deliberate nature of the story telling as compared to some other shows with odd story lines that are too fast paced making one feel they need to re-watch episodes immediately in order to catch all the nuance. I never felt the pace was slow, I felt it suited the story perfectly. I will likely watch this again but not as a way to better understand it but as a refresher before S2.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Accurate depiction of me hearing Severance has been renewed for another season!

C63EA98E-6E8F-4ECD-8B5B-C9B64093E7FB.gif

I thoroughly enjoyed Severance, and it sits among my other AppleTV+ favorites, Foundation and SEE.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
This started out really slow but shaped up nicely. Last episode was quite the banger indeed. Looking forward to more now!

Great style overall but why
have a look reminiscent of the early 80's in general and then show a cellphone and later Mark's outtie surfing on a modern smartphone? He should have had a Commodore 64 MacIntosh with an acoustic coupler, dialing into a BBS. Perfect.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I’ve watched 3 and half episodes.
Literally forced myself to watch it because of all the hype.got to be one of the slowest most boring shows I ever watched.
Can’t do it anymore .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.