Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
Just finished this today, gotta be honest first 2/3 episodes I debated just giving up on it/ But seen so many on here saying how good it was, I decided to stick with it and I'm glad I did, really enjoyed it and can't wait for S2

Reactions: Solver

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just finished this today, gotta be honest first 2/3 episodes I debated just giving up on it/ But seen so many on here saying how good it was, I decided to stick with it and I'm glad I did, really enjoyed it and can't wait for S2

This was exactly my experience... in fact, I stopped watching it (early on) two different times... went back to episode 1 and plowed through it. After the first 2 episodes, I thought it got moving along at a good pace. At this point, I am glad that I did. Turned out to be pretty good. And now we wait for season 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solver

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA

When I started the series, I was happy to see Rashida Jones in something again, because I hadn't seen her since Parks and Recreation. I think if I had one criticism about the show it was I wish we had more flashbacks to why her character (Forgot her name) became that way, maybe in connection with Juliette finding out the truth of the Silo. I was bummed she was only in one episode.

Reactions: wba1990

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I’ll give it a try after reading these posts. I’m on a free trial so will do this and hijacked. The problem for me is I can’t see any other shows keeping me subscribed. There isn’t loads of content I want to keep me subscribed.

I really wish they would license product from other studios like Netflix and prime do etc.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
I understand this is based on the books?

Out of curiosity for those that have read them, and watched the series - how come is the series to the books? Is much left out for example (without giving any spoilers away)

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
This won't happen. You'll either find enough value in the other One services or you need to unsubscribe from  tv+.
yeah but they could easily license other studios back catalogues etc to make the Apple TV + offering more appealing. I will have watched everything I want by the time my free trial ends as there isn't enough to keep me subscribed.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I will have watched everything I want by the time my free trial ends as there isn't enough to keep me subscribed.
And winning you as a subscriber (at all costs) is not the main purpose of tv+. The service exists to promote the hardware. If Apple would actually compete with Netflix over their core business and customers, Netflix would need to pull its apps from all Apple devices. Much like the iWork productivity apps were not meant to copy and replace the Microsoft's Office suite feature by feature, but to offer a baseline functionality as an alternative, which encourages Microsoft to bring their A-game when programming Office for Mac. More than once Microsoft threatened to stop releasing Office for the Macintosh to extort concessions from Apple management. tv+ works as a shield, an insurance and an advertisement before it is also a for profit service.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
I understand this is based on the books?

Out of curiosity for those that have read them, and watched the series - how come is the series to the books? Is much left out for example (without giving any spoilers away)
From what I gather Season 1 of the TV show is pretty much all of the first "act" of the Wool novellas. I expect that season 2 of the TV series will be the latter Wool novellas moving into the second act, Shift.

Reactions: wba1990

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
I’ll give it a try after reading these posts. I’m on a free trial so will do this and hijacked. The problem for me is I can’t see any other shows keeping me subscribed. There isn’t loads of content I want to keep me subscribed.

I really wish they would license product from other studios like Netflix and prime do etc.

Im in the position where at the minute there's nothing to watch, but i figure for i think it was €59 a year im getting my moneys worth even with some barren months.

I loved Ted Lasso. Silo. Hello Tomorrow. Slow Horses. Blackbird. Surface. Bad Sisters. Severance.

I liked Acapulco, Smigamidoon, Hijack, Mythic Quest, Loot,

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Im in the position where at the minute there's nothing to watch, but i figure for i think it was €59 a year im getting my moneys worth even with some barren months.

I loved Ted Lasso. Silo. Hello Tomorrow. Slow Horses. Blackbird. Surface. Bad Sisters. Severance.

I liked Acapulco, Smigamidoon, Hijack, Mythic Quest, Loot,
Try "Shrinking". It's funny!

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I was unsure while watching the first two or so episodes but ended up really liking it. It bummed me out I couldn't find anyone else watching it to talk about it (in person).

And winning you as a subscriber (at all costs) is not the main purpose of tv+. The service exists to promote the hardware. If Apple would actually compete with Netflix over their core business and customers, Netflix would need to pull its apps from all Apple devices. Much like the iWork productivity apps were not meant to copy and replace the Microsoft's Office suite feature by feature, but to offer a baseline functionality as an alternative, which encourages Microsoft to bring their A-game when programming Office for Mac. More than once Microsoft threatened to stop releasing Office for the Macintosh to extort concessions from Apple management. tv+ works as a shield, an insurance and an advertisement before it is also a for profit service.
Luckily, it's not even necessary. I've used nearly every streaming method—Roku, Fire, Apple TV, native TV apps, etc. The physical Apple TV box is by far the superior option and will be the primary program streaming method in my house.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Luckily, it's not even necessary. I've used nearly every streaming method—Roku, Fire, Apple TV, native TV apps, etc. The physical Apple TV box is by far the superior option and will be the primary program streaming method in my house.
You can't win on the merits of your hardware alone, when you can't guarantee access to content. Right now there's a lot of competition, but at the end of the streaming wars maybe only two or three big services will survive. What if Microsoft buys Netflix and makes it an xbox exclusive? Also the quality of Apple's own shows is advertisement for the brand as a whole. So instead of a lots of content, they're focusing on great science fiction. And I don't complain. 😁

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
yeah but they could easily license other studios back catalogues etc to make the Apple TV + offering more appealing. I will have watched everything I want by the time my free trial ends as there isn't enough to keep me subscribed.

but then that would push the price up and i have enough filler with netflix and amazon. i know that there will be weeks where i dont watch anything on Apple tv+ but i know during each year there will be enough great tv for it to be worth far more than the €59 it costs me.

Reactions: Mercifull

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
but then that would push the price up and i have enough filler with netflix and amazon. i know that there will be weeks where i dont watch anything on Apple tv+ but i know during each year there will be enough great tv for it to be worth far more than the €59 it costs me.
I was wishing they would license more back catalogue so I could cancel Netflix and just have Apple TV. Due to crazy cost of living I’ve been just subscribing to one at a time and binge watching the shows I want and jumping ship to the next platform of stuff I want.. saves a bit of money that way..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.