Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I usually get the new exclusive “Pro” color (green with the 11 Pro, blue with 12 Pro and 13 Pro), but I didn’t like the purple at all. So, I got silver since I wanted something light colored. I wonder if a lot of others did the same, the purple seems to be pretty polarizing.
same for me. I don’t like the purple at all so I went silver this time around.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
My Silver 256 Pro is scheduled for September 16th delivery. I would have went with the base, but the 48MP camera is going to eat up all my storage.
I went with the same. My 13 pro is 256 go but I rarely shoot in raw format so 256 is more than enough for me.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think it’s more likely that it was the smallest supply. I’m willing to bet that every year grey/black and the new colour are overwhelmingly the post popular.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah silver me timbers and color me surprised that silver seems to be the most popular. I could still get a purple on release day but silver has crept into mid october. gonna try my luck in store(s) instead.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
If I don't remember wrongly, about an hour into pre-orders yesterday I noticed that most of the silver 14 Pros (all except the 1TB) were no longer available for store pickup and had shipping dates into October. Most of the other colours still had store pickup 16 Sep as an option. So the silver 14 Pros were definitely going out of stock faster than the other colours where I am.

But by today (a day after pre-orders started) all of the 14 Pros are not available for store pickup and have shipping dates into October...

Not sure if this is due to the silver being more popular or Apple just having less stock of them though!
Yeah that’s what I was wondering if apple had a lot more space black and deep purple ready or if silver was really more popular 🤷‍♂️

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I got the silver Pro Max this year. I've had it before and think it is beautiful. It is very white on the back with silver "edge". Sept. 16 delivery date. Can't wait!

Reactions: jamesrick80

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
Silver for the second year in a row for me - such a classic colour. Goes well with any case and always looks fresh.

I was disappointed in the purple. If it was more vibrant, I could see myself going with it, but they seemed to settle on a muddy grurple which is not to my taste.
Same here. In general, purple is my favorite color but I don't care for the very dark purple this year. I don't like a soft purple either. Purple is a tricky color to get just right!

Reactions: cambookpro

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
This is why I go white/silver...gotta match that stainless steel watch of course

Iaeg1QZ.jpg

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
I got the silver Pro Max this year. I've had it before and think it is beautiful. It is very white on the back with silver "edge". Sept. 16 delivery date. Can't wait!
Me neither. This year it's polar white, basically whiter than white on the back from the looks of it - much whiter than the 12 or 13 Pro Series whites. Really getting excited for the sharp contrast now.

Hope at least one of the big reviewers gets a silver unit.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
me personally I will never ever buy a silver iPhone, the polished steel scratches way faster than the colored ones in my experience because of the coating, in my case it makes seem like the case is scratched when I do trade ins, where as the other iPhones I have had look brand new, that’s just me though

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
me personally I will never ever buy a silver iPhone, the polished steel scratches way faster than the colored ones in my experience because of the coating, in my case it makes seem like the case is scratched when I do trade ins, where as the other iPhones I have had look brand new, that’s just me though
Don't most trade in places ignore 'wear and tear' like that now though?

I am a reckless maverick who has never used a case or screen protector on any of my phones - they have all developed micro-abrasions and in some cases slightly deeper scratches you can see under bright light (I never see these though unless I really search for them squinting my eyes), and I've always secured the top trade in value because that is all considered acceptable wear and tear these days.

Unless you're referring to selling as-new, rather than trade-in/recycling in which case ignore me.

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
That has more to do with the case it's in than the phone itself. The Spigen Liquid Crystal cases have never scratched my phones.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
That has more to do with the case it's in than the phone itself. The Spigen Liquid Crystal cases have never scratched my phones.
Even with the stainless steel apple watch scratched faster than the graphite, as a matter of fact the graphite is flawless but for some reason apple polished silver, mind you, could be restored with autosol but what i meant to say that is that minor scratches are more visible on the white/silver apple products 😭
For example the iPod classic casing comes to mind 🤣

Reactions: Shh

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
Even with the stainless steel apple watch scratched faster than the graphite, as a matter of fact the graphite is flawless but for some reason apple polished silver, mind you, could be restored with autosol but what i meant to say that is that minor scratches are more visible on the white/silver apple products 😭
For example the iPod classic casing comes to mind 🤣
I agree that it scratches far worse than other finishes. I'm just very paranoid with my devices. They all look brand new years later. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: Apleeseed84

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Does anyone know if they changed up the shade of gold at all this year? That’s what I put my order in for pick up. I’m glad to be in the minority for gold

Reactions: Brad7

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
Even with a case ?

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Loved my silver XS Max.

This year looks like it’s more like a pure white which I like, but I still went with purple this year.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
No I think the demand for Silver was greater than usual because people noticed the back glass is finally a sheer white as opposed to off white. It’s definitely not the most popular color this year, rather Apple underestimated the number of Silver models to produce for launch.
How do you know that it’s a bright white vs pearl?

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Does anyone know if they changed up the shade of gold at all this year? That’s what I put my order in for pick up. I’m glad to be in the minority for gold
im also curious about this, from the hands-on videos it seems that is somehow different from the one we are used to.
BTW, i also ordered the gold one!

Reactions: Brad7

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I've had a Pacific blue iPhone 12 for two years which I think is beautiful. However, since it's in a case all the time I found that fewer cases really matched with it. I'm excited to get the silver because it matches literally every single case.

I'll probably buy at least 5 cases for this thing.

Reactions: Synomenon

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
I've had a Pacific blue iPhone 12 for two years which I think is beautiful. However, since it's in a case all the time I found that fewer cases really matched with it. I'm excited to get the silver because it matches literally every single case.

I'll probably buy at least 5 cases for this thing.
Same thing here. But this will be my first silver. The color will match many colors but the white camera bump is less of a “discreet color”. More visible so more difficult to combine with a similar color unless you choose a very light case color. But I agree it goes with everything but can be more visible with a dark case. I have picked the following Otterbox for now.

Attachments

• 16E243EE-F01B-48CD-B023-A5FAF55D4C6D.jpeg
    16E243EE-F01B-48CD-B023-A5FAF55D4C6D.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 53
  • D42FE56A-75F4-4734-9FC3-6ADFB3B142A4.jpeg
    D42FE56A-75F4-4734-9FC3-6ADFB3B142A4.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 50
  • B75BA230-35D2-4C7F-A6A5-551F2BABBF8A.jpeg
    B75BA230-35D2-4C7F-A6A5-551F2BABBF8A.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 45
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.