Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
I went with silver color too on my 14 Pro Max 256gb, cant wait to see my phone storage after a year still showing 250gb of empty space. I only went to 256gb model for prores, even though I dont shoot videos at all. Maybe I call this future proofing, theres always a chance that I might need a good video camera and storage.

• Haha
Reactions: jamesrick80

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I went with the silver for this year model too. Since I tended to pick the special color for that year or simply space gray, I switched it up this year and back to silver. Over the Apple subreddit, close to 80% of the readers went purple and space black.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Same thing here. But this will be my first silver. The color will match many colors but the white camera bump is less of a “discreet color”. More visible so more difficult to combine with a similar color unless you choose a very light case color. But I agree it goes with everything but can be more visible with a dark case. I have picked the following Otterbox for now.
That's a nice case you picked out. On second thought, I guess the pure white of the camera area wouldn't look so great with a case that was off-white or a very light tan. I went with the Apple brown leather "Umber" case for now but looking forward to get more seasonal colors.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
That's a nice case you picked out. On second thought, I guess the pure white of the camera area wouldn't look so great with a case that was off-white or a very light tan. I went with the Apple brown leather "Umber" case for now but looking forward to get more seasonal colors.
Thanks. I like the Apple leather case. Had a few in the past but given their price I think they wear & tear too quickly and do not protect enough the front bezel. Not talking about silicone case. They have nice colors but are so weak. My 12PM only has a dent and this happened when it fell from a table with a silicone case. The silicone just completely broke under the weight of the phone.
I am also looking at Caseology cases which I find nice too.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
How do you know that it’s a bright white vs pearl?

The apple phone comparison page shows the difference for one, but primarily journalist pictures from the event along with verbal confirmation from them that the color is a lot better in terms of being a pure white rather than the usual murky white.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Loved my silver XS Max.

This year looks like it’s more like a pure white which I like, but I still went with purple this year.
Same here I still have my silver XS which my son uses until I hand down my 12 pro to him.. that silver Xs is the best looking phone I have owned.. and if you compare it to the 14 pro white they look the same shade which is nice because the Xs white is bright white not off white(warm white)

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I almost went with silver this year. But, I remember reading that the bands/edges seem to scratch more on the silver. Definitely looking forward to the reviews to see more pictures of not just the silver, but of all. In pictures I always seem to prefer the silver more though.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Went with gold for my 13PM last year (coming from a silver 12PM) and regretted it pretty much the entire time. Secured a 128GB 14PM in silver for launch day, and am EXTREMELY excited to see the pure white back glass in person.🙏🏼

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Went with gold for my 13PM last year (coming from a silver 12PM) and regretted it pretty much the entire time. Secured a 128GB 14PM in silver for launch day, and am EXTREMELY excited to see the pure white back glass in person.🙏🏼
Well gee, that feels discouraging since I just ordered my first gold iPhone. An iPhone 14 pro max. So now I’m curious to hear why you regretted the experience?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I have the Sierra Blue 13P and love the glossy band around it (and I hate gloss except for a car finish). Can't stand gold, no thanks on purple and blah on black. Silver/white is about as timeless as it gets. I have a black and silver landing on Friday but will be sending back the black one.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Why the regret? I’ve mostly had black. 6s was silver and the 12 pro I got blue. I didn’t want purple so it was between black and gold and I’ve never had gold so why not? I’ve Been trying new colors on everything. God the midnight watch and m2 air, got the blue iPad Air as well

Reactions: moose185

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Why the regret? I’ve mostly had black. 6s was silver and the 12 pro I got blue. I didn’t want purple so it was between black and gold and I’ve never had gold so why not? I’ve Been trying new colors on everything. God the midnight watch and m2 air, got the blue iPad Air as well
I just never liked the look of the gold as much as I did the silver… Didn’t return/exchange it though because there was nothing wrong with the phone. But I’m glad to be going back home to sweet sweet silver/white this year.🙏🏼

Reactions: happy orchard

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Well gee, that feels discouraging since I just ordered my first gold iPhone. An iPhone 14 pro max. So now I’m curious to hear why you regretted the experience?
Personal preference. The gold is beautiful, but not AS beautiful or elegant as the silver (in my opinion). Also, cases and accessories (such as the MagSafe wallet) are hard to match with the gold vs the silver as well.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
There’s only four colors, not much to choose from.

Black is black. There’s nothing to it and nothing interesting about it. It’s a safe color like white. But nobody looks at it says, wow look at that color.

Silver. Yeah. It’s good but what’s not good are the sides scratch easy. People suggest getting some polish and rag to keep it buffed. No thanks

Deep purple. Final judgement when I see it in person but who really wants to rock a purple phone for the foreseeable future. Hey look! It’s Billy with his clown phone.

So by default I fell on Gold. It’s elegant, looks premium, and the sides use a special nano coating that makes it the most durable of the bunch. Joz, talked about this when Gold debut on the 12 pro max

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks. I like the Apple leather case. Had a few in the past but given their price I think they wear & tear too quickly and do not protect enough the front bezel. Not talking about silicone case. They have nice colors but are so weak. My 12PM only has a dent and this happened when it fell from a table with a silicone case. The silicone just completely broke under the weight of the phone.
I am also looking at Caseology cases which I find nice too.

The only leather one that looks good with wear is the brown one. I usually buy one and keep it on for the life of the phone because it’s the only case I like that wears gracefully. But I think I’m just going to be careful and go case-less this time.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
The only leather one that looks good with wear is the brown one. I usually buy one and keep it on for the life of the phone because it’s the only case I like that wears gracefully. But I think I’m just going to be careful and go case-less this time.
It only takes one accidental drop to make you regret that decision

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
I almost went with silver this year. But, I remember reading that the bands/edges seem to scratch more on the silver. Definitely looking forward to the reviews to see more pictures of not just the silver, but of all. In pictures I always seem to prefer the silver more though.

I always go with silver. I kept the XS for four years and it's still in immaculate condition. I never use screen protectors or cases either. Totally naked from day one. I'd say the silver iPhones wear the least. I can't see scratches on the silver band at all.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
This is why I go white/silver...gotta match that stainless steel watch of course

Iaeg1QZ.jpg
Nice shot! Makes me wonder why Apple doesn’t match the iPhone and Watch colors each year. Would a Deep Purple Watch be popular? I would think so.

Reactions: thatappleguytoday

TAJones99

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Orange Park, FL
I have had the sliver for my last 3 iPhones, so this year I ordered the Space Black. I real like how it looks and hope I don't start missing the Sliver lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.