Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junebug1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
Finally had time to get the SopiGuard installed. Went with the Black Honeycomb. Extremely happy with the results. Looks fantastic in person, feels great to have a little texture. Not difficult to put on but certainly recommend using some heat after you get it down and flat. If you do have to peel it back because of a stubborn bubble just go really super slow, otherwise you will stretch the material because as others mentioned it’s a bit thinner than some of the other stuff I’ve used in the past.
IMG_1858.jpeg
IMG_1857.jpeg
IMG_1862.jpeg

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
I can tell you that I removed the back skin on my MK which was from slickwrap. And it left so Much residue behind. I spent an hour removing the residue. The Sophiguard is also 3M. I expect the same results if I need to remove It.
I have yet to install the rest of the Sopiguard skin due to knowing what I face with the slickwrap removal.
I can tell you that I removed the back skin on my MK which was from slickwrap. And it left so Much residue behind. I spent an hour removing the residue. The Sophiguard is also 3M. I expect the same results if I need to remove It.
I have yet to install the rest of the Sopiguard skin due to knowing what I face with the slickwrap removal.
What cleaning agent and technique did you use to remove the adhesive residue without damaging the MK? Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
I finally received my brushed black from Sopiguard. I was also considering the matte black another user posted. I opted not to install the inside portion as it would have looked tacky in my opinion. The only reason I wanted this product was to hide smudges that are inevitable with the material of Apple iPad keyboards.

Install was easy. I had to lift it up a few times to align it just right. Do not worry about the bubbles they come out quite easily with pressure (unlike glass screen protectors). In order to get the Apple Logo to show, you have to gently indent on the logo while installing it.

As previous posters said, it is on the thin side. I have no idea how it will hold up over time. Also, it does make the iPad slicker so you have to bear that in mind before ordering.

I will do an update post sometime in the future as I get more use of it. Although, I usually take good care of my tech, not sure if I would be the best person to really test the limits of this cover.
Looks nice. I ordered the exact same one and it recently arrived. I’ve yet to install it but will hopefully do so today. I’d like to ask you a few questions if you’d be kind enough to answer. Do you find that the brushed texture of the skin makes the exterior of the MK a lot more slippery? If so, to what degree and is it bothersome? Is it causing any issues with the MK sliding around on your lap while using it? Thanks in advance!!!

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
I don’t have the brushed metal texture (I bought the forged carbon) but it definitely increases the slipperiness. I don’t use mine on my lap, but I can tell you it will slide on a table easily. I like the skin, but I really liked the way the original keyboard material felt. If I hadn’t seen so many posts about how bad it looks after using it for awhile, I would have just kept it naked.

Reactions: Rory76

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
I don’t have the brushed metal texture (I bought the forged carbon) but it definitely increases the slipperiness. I don’t use mine on my lap, but I can tell you it will slide on a table easily. I like the skin, but I really liked the way the original keyboard material felt. If I hadn’t seen so many posts about how bad it looks after using it for awhile, I would have just kept it naked.
Thanks for the info. Your experience with the increased slipperiness of the forged carbon skin on the MK is a bit concerning to me as I would imagine that the brushed metal skin I purchased will be even more slippery. I primarily use the MK with it on my lap while sitting or on my abdomen when I’m lying in bed. Now I’m worried it’s going to be sliding all over the place. Crap :(.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Looks nice. I ordered the exact same one and it recently arrived. I’ve yet to install it but will hopefully do so today. I’d like to ask you a few questions if you’d be kind enough to answer. Do you find that the brushed texture of the skin makes the exterior of the MK a lot more slippery? If so, to what degree and is it bothersome? Is it causing any issues with the MK sliding around on your lap while using it? Thanks in advance!!!

The texture of the Sopiguard will make it more slippery than the stock magic keyboard without it. This is probably true with all their options.

On a smooth desk it can move. However, it is not bad as long as you are using it normally. If you intentionally try to move the device it will of course move more with the skin than without. On your lap or an already rugged/uneven surface, it will not move so I would not be worried too much about it.

Obviously, it comes down to personal preference. For me having the magic keyboard look crappy on the outside outweighed the slipperiness.

Reactions: jazz1 and Rory76

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
The texture of the Sopiguard will make it more slippery than the stock magic keyboard without it. This is probably true with all their options.

On a smooth desk it can move. However, it is not bad as long as you are using it normally. If you intentionally try to move the device it will of course move more with the skin than without. On your lap or an already rugged/uneven surface, it will not move so I would not be worried too much about it.

Obviously, it comes down to personal preference. For me having the magic keyboard look crappy on the outside outweighed the slipperiness.
Thanks so much for the helpful info. Makes me feel better!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just applied my skin for the MK from DecalGirl and it looks great. As others noted, it’s not a perfect fit but it works for now.

aa2b499d8b1ab8f866ab6cb3f29c28dc.jpg

I may order one from SopiGuard later on.
I just bought and installed this pattern from Sopiguard for my MK (cut specifically for the MK). Looks great.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Finally installed my Sopiguard Brushed Finish, Brushed Black. Possible some tips on installation if you haven't done so with yours:
1) If you're going to do the inside pieces, do that first. Because those pieces are smaller, you can make a mistake and it won't be a big one. Sopiguard cuts each piece pretty exact, so there's not a lot of room for error if you don't want the skin to come over the sides.
2) It's ok to make mistakes, pull off the skin, and start again. At least with the Brushed Finish texture, mistakes are pretty forgiving. I was able to pull off the skin after it made a huge creased bubble. After re-applying the piece again, you couldn't tell there was a mistake. Looking back, I started with the outer bottom piece first and after quick one alignment, called it a night. Looking back, I should've done it to perfection rather than letting some of the skin go over the edge. If the edges do peel, then it gives me an excuse to order and try different textures later haha
3) Take your time. Save the outer top piece (camera side) last. That was the hardest for me and I'm glad I did last. I had to pull and reapply most of it, but now it looks great.
4) I didn't use a hairdryer, but I can see how that would make the install cleaner/better. But, the thought of warmed up, melted glue didn't sit well with me. So, if it peels off, then I'd rather have it peel off easier.

As others have said, it does make the MK slippery, so take that into account. I do think Apple's original texture was nice as it was grippy, but I've always been a case guy with my products. If I had a 2020 iPP with AppleCare, I think I would've gone skinless since AppleCare covers the MK. But since I have a 2018, my warranty is almost up. The skin, then, is my security.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Reactions: Rory76

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
Is this thread meant for skins FOR the MK or just using skins on your iPad With the MK? If it's the latter, I have a question.

Is dbrand the best option for device skins or is there some other company I should look at? I've never had a skin before but with the MK and how easily the iPad can be pulled off, I think I might like to have at least a little protection on the back for those times the iPad is naked. I really just want something basic, but quality. I am never really going to see it after all.

Tulipo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I saw today that a guy on Reddit in Australia had ordered from them and asked about the lack of tracking on international shipping:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/gm4j2t
[automerge]1589826345[/automerge]

yes got confirmation last Wednesday

Uhhhhhh LOL. Wow their response was not professional at all. Very defensive and amateurish honestly.

I went ahead and ordered the gunmetal carbon design this past weekend. I do have tracking as I live in the US and it says it will arrive between the 22nd and the 28th (ordered through amazon). This is also my first time hearing and dealing with Sopiguard so hoping this turns out well. Pricing was good but then again they seem to be the only company that has MK skins right now. I’ve had good experience with slickwraps in the past but I know many people have had issues with them.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Uhhhhhh LOL. Wow their response was not professional at all. Very defensive an amateurish honestly.

I went ahead and order the gunmetal carbon design this past weekend. I do have tracking as I live in the US and it says it will be arrive between the 22nd and the 28th (ordered through amazon). This is also my first time hearing and dealing with Sopiguard so hoping this turns out well. Pricing was good but then again they seem to be the only company that has MK skins right now. I’ve had good experience with slickwraps in the past but I know many people have had issues with them.
Yeah that is very poor...something a twitter troll would say really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.