Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarckyG

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
I don’t see the leather for the gen 4 iPad Pro do you? I would buy it ASAP.
You mean the 2020 iPad Pro? That's another bummer, there is none.
Only a leather skin for the 2018 iPad Pro without smart connector cutouts (the skin looks amazing).
And then skins for the Magic Keyboard 2020, but only in wood and not leather. Weird choices...
I wrote them an email but never received an answer...

Reactions: wolfedude88

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
i had the same issue applying it on my 12.9, i focused on the magic connectors instead of the camera and it worked out OK. The apple logo wasnt lined nor the camera so i put theapple skin on it (the one that they tell you to peel off) and used scissors to cover up as much of the spot around the camera.

i told them this so he told me that he Will send me a new one free of charge.

I also Bought the mk skin and that one was better, still not perfect but better!

regarding the customer service, so far really pleased with them/him.

Ps. Installation wasnt the easiest, I had help but still felt it was hard. I have watched couple of videos around www, all companies seem to have the same ”installation guide”
Thanks for the feedback. I have another coming in the post.

Thing is, now on the MacRumors front page there's a story about a new Logitech keyboard folio which has a trackpade for the 11" Pro. It looks pretty neat and looks like it's protect the iPad somewhat if you drop it. Man! As much as I like the feel of the MKB, if this one was out when I bought mine, I may have bought this one instead. That said, I really do like the feel of the MKB. If my MKB ever gets damaged beyond repair or use, I may get this Logitech one.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
i had the same issue applying it on my 12.9, i focused on the magic connectors instead of the camera and it worked out OK. The apple logo wasnt lined nor the camera so i put theapple skin on it (the one that they tell you to peel off) and used scissors to cover up as much of the spot around the camera.

i told them this so he told me that he Will send me a new one free of charge.

I also Bought the mk skin and that one was better, still not perfect but better!

regarding the customer service, so far really pleased with them/him.

Ps. Installation wasnt the easiest, I had help but still felt it was hard. I have watched couple of videos around www, all companies seem to have the same ”installation guide”
So I bought another yellow back skin from Xtreme Skins. They threw in a free black skin too because I had issues with the first yellow one. Again, lining up the holes for the smart connectors resulted in the camera hole not fitting right. There's a gap on the bottom side of the camera cut-out and the top of the skin has encroached onto the camera bump on the top side. Ended up with a bit of a gap at the top of the iPad too. I don't think the logo has lined up either, but at this point I feel like I've given up. I don't think they have a proper template or mold or whatever it is used to create the skin shape/size. I've attached some pictures.

I'm going to write to him to let him know. Anyone use a skin from another company which hopefully has a better product with accurate cut-outs

Attachments

• image1 - camera 1.jpeg
    image1 - camera 1.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 236
  • image2 - camera 2.jpeg
    image2 - camera 2.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 247
  • image3 - smart connects 2.jpeg
    image3 - smart connects 2.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 262
  • image4 - ipad full.jpeg
    image4 - ipad full.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
Reactions: ascender

Goldfarmer

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
So I bought another yellow back skin from Xtreme Skins. They threw in a free black skin too because I had issues with the first yellow one. Again, lining up the holes for the smart connectors resulted in the camera hole not fitting right. There's a gap on the bottom side of the camera cut-out and the top of the skin has encroached onto the camera bump on the top side. Ended up with a bit of a gap at the top of the iPad too. I don't think the logo has lined up either, but at this point I feel like I've given up. I don't think they have a proper template or mold or whatever it is used to create the skin shape/size. I've attached some pictures.

I'm going to write to him to let him know. Anyone use a skin from another company which hopefully has a better product with accurate cut-outs

That fit around the camera is exactly as mine was fitting, must be a flaw in their production. I would also like to know if any other companies do this better!

MarckyG

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
To anyone who would like to go premium with a real leather skin for their MKB, toastmade.com makes great skins, unfortunately no leather ones for the MKB (their other leather products look great though). They have the plans of the MKB since they make (real) wood skins for it. Customer supported suggested I use their form for new products requests.
If some people suggest a leather skin for the MKB they will make one.

JustJace

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2017
Also struggled with the xtremeskins iPad skin but they were kind enough to send a second to try again, and had a better result second time around. Please with the finished looked and for a decent price! :)

Attachments

• BCC55795-2C95-4E08-8EDD-E9A6181CDBE1.jpeg
    BCC55795-2C95-4E08-8EDD-E9A6181CDBE1.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 97A87B89-A9DA-4BE8-B6BC-0FBA612BF785.jpeg
    97A87B89-A9DA-4BE8-B6BC-0FBA612BF785.jpeg
    909.2 KB · Views: 326
  • 32FF2234-B64A-4EFF-825E-07B9E871C0F6.jpeg
    32FF2234-B64A-4EFF-825E-07B9E871C0F6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 263
Reactions: 0128672

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Also struggled with the xtremeskins iPad skin but they were kind enough to send a second to try again, and had a better result second time around. Please with the finished looked and for a decent price! :)
Oh, this looks neat! And it looks like you managed to get a decent cut-out, as your camera hole fit well as well as the smart connector holes.

I wrote to Xtreme Skins the other day about the poor skin I received. They wrote back to me to tell me that they had looked at their cutter and I think they said they made a change of some sort, and sent me one out for free. It turned out to be for the iPad Pro 2018 and not the 2020, so I let them know and they sent out the right one today! I haven’t used it yet, because I don’t want to remove the other one (even though it wasn’t a proper fit), as it took me a while to apply. I’ll give this for if/when the current one gets damaged.

MarckyG

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Germany

Well for the few wanting a leather skin, I found an alternative:
epochskins.com makes real leather skins for the iPad Magic Keyboard. I haven't seen a review yet.
It looks rather thick tbh but that might be a quality sign.

Reactions: wolfedude88

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I posted in another Skin thread but thought I would share here. I purchased this Retro from Decal Girl. It was pretty easy to install, even had a full pull offs and re-apply for straightness. The reason I went with the skin because it seemed to be a magnet for micro size lint, crumbs. The bonus is it slides much easier in my sleeve.

DFB79CEC-E51B-4178-9061-412B9EE1A45A.jpeg

7F46C718-8C03-4E67-99EF-2C17F8AAD1DB.jpeg

F1FFBDBD-2E4C-4F8F-B798-D6C952663C51.jpeg

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I posted in another Skin thread but thought I would share here. I purchased this Retro from Decal Girl. It was pretty easy to install, even had a full pull offs and re-apply for straightness. The reason I went with the skin because it seemed to be a magnet for micro size lint, crumbs. The bonus is it slides much easier in my sleeve.

Very cool design! I'll probably always get black, but I like see those who are bold enough to think beyond black.

Reactions: IngerMan

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

View attachment 941772
View attachment 941773
View attachment 941774
Speaking of lint magnet etc., I bought a can of compressed air to use on the MG. It works well. Even with a HEPA filter system running and hands washed several times a day, this MG does seem to attract every little minute particle.

Reactions: IngerMan

Dr_Ian_Malcolm

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
Hey everyone... just a heads up, DBrand is now making skins for the MK in all colors... I actually emailed them last week bc I wanted to match the Swarm pattern on my 11’ IPP, they responded that they just started making them with a special adhesive.
Mine took about 7 days to ship, but it’s on its way to me now... I’ll update when it gets here.

Last edited:

Dr_Ian_Malcolm

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
Looks awesome. I have the Swarm on my iPad and MacBook Pro 13 already. I tried a Sopiguard but it was too thin for my liking, I’m used to DBrand.

Reactions: steve31

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
FBC3FFF8-B96C-48C1-9C26-CFAC2120E6C9.jpeg
No residue what so ever. I even re-applied the lower back piece noticing from my picture above the band did not line up to my liking. This was a week later. I am not sure how longevity of the material is only time will tell me, but removal and mess is not an issue.

Reactions: macdogpro

Dr_Ian_Malcolm

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
My DBrand arrived today... If you’ve ever installed DBrand skins on a MacBook or iPad, the process is pretty much the same and took about 10 minutes to get it pretty much perfect.

I am a fan of DBrand skins and have been waiting/hoping for one since I got the MK. This is exactly what I wanted and expected. Their skins have a thickness to them that feels like it will provide protection for my devices. The fit is perfect and it’s nice to have my iPad and MacBook Pro skinned the same.

the only installation difference was that a hairdryer was required for about 10 sec to heat the area about the Apple indentation. Once warm, you just press and the logo appears in the skin, pretty cool.

Attachments

• 1DED1FBA-D7F7-4802-BB9E-D2CAD4DE2BDF.jpeg
    1DED1FBA-D7F7-4802-BB9E-D2CAD4DE2BDF.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 247
  • EAD6861D-63CB-4AEA-B982-9D7FA7B1A3F3.jpeg
    EAD6861D-63CB-4AEA-B982-9D7FA7B1A3F3.jpeg
    671.9 KB · Views: 259

Dr_Ian_Malcolm

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
It’s just peel and stick for the lens piece. In the install video, DBrand tries to make a joke about this and recommends using a bottle opener, which I though was a little oddly placed just considering the number of first timers probably watching.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
It’s just peel and stick for the lens piece. In the install video, DBrand tries to make a joke about this and recommends using a bottle opener, which I though was a little oddly placed just considering the number of first timers probably watching.

I know, I seen a video they showed putting it in a toaster for the lens part. Some people will do that given they show it. Thats why I asked I did not believe it but glad I did not have the lens cover too ?

Shai Tavlin

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2020
I know, I seen a video they showed putting it in a toaster for the lens part. Some people will do that given they show it. Thats why I asked I did not believe it but glad I did not have the lens cover too ?

hi!

is there a way to talk to you? (it's about the heat mod for the MBA :) )
Please lmk!
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.