Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarckyG

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
This is what I want, a premium real leather skin. I wish apple would have released a more expensive saddle brown leather magic keyboard as an option.

As an update to this:
There is a company called toastmade in the US, they make real leather and real wood skins for multiple devices. I read good things about them. Currently they only have a real wood skin for the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard, no real leather skin. They DO have a real leather skin for the iPad Pro itself, I must say it looks amazing, but the leather is too thick to allow usage of the smart connector, so they don't make the cutouts for the connector. I guess it would be easy for them to make a real leather skin for the Magic Keyboard's outer shell! It's just three simple parts... I sent them an email asking if they will do it in the future... No answer yet. Let's hope they're fine with the covid situation.

Reactions: wolfedude88

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
xtremeskins are great
Yes really happy with my leather skin.
Are the xtremeskins ones easy to ’install’? Part of me worries about how they might damage the case material if/when the time comes to remove them. If they’re putting that disclaimer in place it’s likely because at least one person has had this issue.
I think you might be right. I'm now waiting for DBrand to make one as they are trying to make it so any glue won't damage finish. Hopefully, they've learnt some new techniques after the Switch issues.
Oh man, I was going to order from Xtreme Skins but now I'm not so sure. This is the one that seems to be the main option in the UK. My Magic KB will be arriving tomorrow or over the next few days.

Is a skin very necessary? I mean, I wouldn't be likely to damage it very early on...right? I feel like I should get a skin for the iPad itself, to help try to avoid damage if I drop it with the MKB cover - at least the sides. Does anyone have any experience of the Xtremeskins iPad Pro skins? Are they likely to leave marks / damage if one removes the skin?

Thanks.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Oh man, I was going to order from Xtreme Skins but now I'm not so sure. This is the one that seems to be the main option in the UK. My Magic KB will be arriving tomorrow or over the next few days.

Is a skin very necessary? I mean, I wouldn't be likely to damage it very early on...right? I feel like I should get a skin for the iPad itself, to help try to avoid damage if I drop it with the MKB cover - at least the sides. Does anyone have any experience of the Xtremeskins iPad Pro skins? Are they likely to leave marks / damage if one removes the skin?

Thanks.

I decided one of the panels wasn’t quite aligned as I wanted. My OCD kicked in, the wife couldn’t see it. I peeled it off after a week and reapplied it. No noticeable residue.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
I decided one of the panels wasn’t quite aligned as I wanted. My OCD kicked in, the wife couldn’t see it. I peeled it off after a week and reapplied it. No noticeable residue.
Thanks. Was this an iPad skin or for the MKB?

I assume there’s people here that have been using the MKB without a skin? Any noticeable damage/issues?

tommyboy9996

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2009
NJ - Ocean County
Has anyone used the actual iPad skin? I recently purchased the iPad Pro 11” 2nd gen skin and MKB skin from decalgirl. I haven’t installed the iPad portion yet. Curious on peoples experience with it. Does it still stick to the magic keyboard as strongly with the skin on the back (magnetic portion)? Does it damage anything when taking off the skin from the back of the iPad? Or pain in the butt to remove? Thanks, I’m debating on putting the skin on the iPad. I already put it on the magic keyboard and love it!

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Oh man, my Magic Keyboard arrived today. I hadn't been using my iPad Pro in the last month and a half or so since I bought it...but this keyboard is going ot be a gamechanger for me. I have a really slow 11" 2011 MBA, so this is going to make a big difference for basic e-mails, browsing etc. For word processing and Excel etc. I'll have to see. I really wasn't having much use using the on-screen keyboard, so glad I got this. I think I'll still have to get used to using an iPad. I'm used to iPhone but what is essentially a bigger iPhone will take some getting used to.

Physically, the MKB feels very high end and premium. There's a really lovely soft feel to it. Is it really that susceptible to damage like people have said? I want to get a skin to protect it, but then I won't feel the lovely, soft material...which I'd be pretty gutted about.

Thoughts from people using the MKB with and without a skin are most welcome.

Thanks!

Reactions: slimejester

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Physically, the MKB feels very high end and premium. There's a really lovely soft feel to it. Is it really that susceptible to damage like people have said? I want to get a skin to protect it, but then I won't feel the lovely, soft material...which I'd be pretty gutted about.

Congrats on getting your MK! Give it a day or so and see if you're comfortable with fingerprints and smudges on the case. I ordered an MK skin (Sopiguard) right away.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Oh man, my Magic Keyboard arrived today. I hadn't been using my iPad Pro in the last month and a half or so since I bought it...but this keyboard is going ot be a gamechanger for me. I have a really slow 11" 2011 MBA, so this is going to make a big difference for basic e-mails, browsing etc. For word processing and Excel etc. I'll have to see. I really wasn't having much use using the on-screen keyboard, so glad I got this. I think I'll still have to get used to using an iPad. I'm used to iPhone but what is essentially a bigger iPhone will take some getting used to.

Thanks!
Even with a skin on mine, I’m seeing dents on it. Oh well. Nothing lasts forever

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Congrats on getting your MK! Give it a day or so and see if you're comfortable with fingerprints and smudges on the case. I ordered an MK skin (Sopiguard) right away.
Were you able to wipe away the smudges before your skin arrived?
Even with a skin on mine, I’m seeing dents on it. Oh well. Nothing lasts forever
Oh dear. Dents on the skin or you think they've actually gone down to the MKB?

I'm leaning towards a skin based on these posts!

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Were you able to wipe away the smudges before your skin arrived?
I didn't have any smudges because I very delicately used a cloth to handle the outside and area next to the trackpad. And yes, that's probably going overboard, but after experiencing the smudges on the SKF, I knew what needed to be done while waiting for the skin. Sopiguard shipped the same day I ordered it, and I got it 3 days later, so it wasn't too long to do the babying thing. Skins are the way to go for sure. I've been using mine for a month+ now and no dents here, but my IPP doesn't leave home either.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
I didn't have any smudges because I very delicately used a cloth to handle the outside and area next to the trackpad. And yes, that's probably going overboard, but after experiencing the smudges on the SKF, I knew what needed to be done while waiting for the skin. Sopiguard shipped the same day I ordered it, and I got it 3 days later, so it wasn't too long to do the babying thing. Skins are the way to go for sure. I've been using mine for a month+ now and no dents here, but my IPP doesn't leave home either.
You'd recommend a skin even for the trackpad? The Xtremeskins one I'm looking at here in the UK comes with a piece for the trackpad...but it seems like overkill to me. The trackpad on the MKB doesn't seem to be of that soft material from the main body of the MKB.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You'd recommend a skin even for the trackpad? The Xtremeskins one I'm looking at here in the UK comes with a piece for the trackpad...but it seems like overkill to me. The trackpad on the MKB doesn't seem to be of that soft material from the main body of the MKB.
No, actually I keep my trackpad skinless even though the skin set I have came with one. I keep the trackpad clean with a microfiber cloth and use an iKlear pad on it about once a week. I also don't eat around the IPP+MK, and I'll you, that's pretty hard.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
No, actually I keep my trackpad skinless even though the skin set I have came with one. I keep the trackpad clean with a microfiber cloth and use an iKlear pad on it about once a week. I also don't eat around the IPP+MK, and I'll you, that's pretty hard.
Thanks for the tips and feedback, appreciated. I can avoid eating around it!

Reactions: 0128672

Iknight222

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
Just ordered my xtremeskins for my iPad Pro 2020 12.9 inches and will see if that makes a difference but i think the material on the MKB is very odd and never had such a material on any device earlier but lets see how it holds up with the xtremeskins attached to it

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
As an update to this:
There is a company called toastmade in the US, they make real leather and real wood skins for multiple devices. I read good things about them. Currently they only have a real wood skin for the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard, no real leather skin. They DO have a real leather skin for the iPad Pro itself, I must say it looks amazing, but the leather is too thick to allow usage of the smart connector, so they don't make the cutouts for the connector. I guess it would be easy for them to make a real leather skin for the Magic Keyboard's outer shell! It's just three simple parts... I sent them an email asking if they will do it in the future... No answer yet. Let's hope they're fine with the covid situation.

I don’t see the leather for the gen 4 iPad Pro do you? I would buy it ASAP.

Pinkscrapper

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2020
I created a perfect skin template for mine and used my Cricut to cut out skin for the magic keyboard and palm rest! It looks great and protects great!
Hello, Your skin looks great! Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your template? I would like to create my own as well but not sure how to start.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I find that people feel the need to handle the magic keyboard with soft cloth to be pretty sad. I have a MK and yes the thing smudges easily and doesn’t seem to come out all that easy. A skin ? Removing it would probably peel this cheap feeling material right off the MK.

While the device works great the durability concerns I have on a 350 dollar keyboard that’s supposed to also be a case is worrisome. With that said I don’t expect it to be a impervious to everything, but how bad mine looks with gentle use is not really acceptable.

I still have a week to decide if I’m keeping it.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
So I ordered an Xtremeskin for my 11” iPad Pro today, but decided not to order one for my Magic Keyboard. I feel that by putting one on it, I’ll miss out on how neat the material of the actual keyboard feels. I’m gonna use it without a skin and see how it goes. My iPad should be at least a little protected with the skin, but MKB will remain ‘naked’.
I bought it from a retailer that provides a two-year warranty. Let’s see how it goes!

Kyletb21

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
I ordered the composition notebook skin from Decal Girl for my MKB and I’m really liking it. I couldn’t get over how prone the original material of the keyboard is to picking up smudges, scuffs, etc. Bonus that the 11” is pretty close to the size of a real composition notebook!
E706808E-3316-44F2-AD05-8F11D09659EA.jpeg
739B30E0-4485-4E74-BD3F-ED597ED1C999.jpeg
04185B86-5F7F-42A3-8821-9E310789F88A.jpeg

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I ordered the composition notebook skin from Decal Girl for my MKB and I’m really liking it. I couldn’t get over how prone the original material of the keyboard is to picking up smudges, scuffs, etc. Bonus that the 11” is pretty close to the size of a real composition notebook!

Looks cool. And yes the iPad MKs material covering, despite what folks say, is cheap.

I’d do the same thing except I’m wary that the MK would peel off if I ever removed it. Thoughts on that ?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I’d do the same thing except I’m wary that the MK would peel off if I ever removed it. Thoughts on that ?
Well, you wouldn't be ripping it off. I've read posts where people said peeling it off slowly and use some isopropyl alcohol or Goo Gone to remove any residue works just fine. I have no concerns about doing it that way if the need arises.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Any members from the UK that have used Xtreme Skins? I ordered a skin for an 11" iPad Pro (not MKB) and found that when I lined up the skin with the camera, that proceeding to affix the rest of the skin to the back of the iPad resulted in the three smart connector circles on the back of the iPad didn't match up with the wholes on the skin. There was some of skin covering the circles and it didn't line up properly. If I lined them up properly, then the skin didn't line up with the camera cutout.

The Xtreme Skins customer support is slow to respond. I get the impression it's a one-man business.

Goldfarmer

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
Any members from the UK that have used Xtreme Skins? I ordered a skin for an 11" iPad Pro (not MKB) and found that when I lined up the skin with the camera, that proceeding to affix the rest of the skin to the back of the iPad resulted in the three smart connector circles on the back of the iPad didn't match up with the wholes on the skin. There was some of skin covering the circles and it didn't line up properly. If I lined them up properly, then the skin didn't line up with the camera cutout.

The Xtreme Skins customer support is slow to respond. I get the impression it's a one-man business.

i had the same issue applying it on my 12.9, i focused on the magic connectors instead of the camera and it worked out OK. The apple logo wasnt lined nor the camera so i put theapple skin on it (the one that they tell you to peel off) and used scissors to cover up as much of the spot around the camera.

i told them this so he told me that he Will send me a new one free of charge.

I also Bought the mk skin and that one was better, still not perfect but better!

regarding the customer service, so far really pleased with them/him.

Ps. Installation wasnt the easiest, I had help but still felt it was hard. I have watched couple of videos around www, all companies seem to have the same ”installation guide”

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.