Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I installed Snow Leopard, latest developer preview, on my RevA Macbook Air (80GB/1.6GHz), and it runs FAST. Install was ~6GB in size, took about 25 minutes, and was even easier than installing leopard (I didn't think that was possible). So far, I am loving what I see. Great work Apple.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Cool

That's good to know. I'm looking forward to handing over my £18ish when the time comes.

darkmeton

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
is it stable enough to work on?? (what am I asking.. it is Leopard.. always stable) Are there any compatibility issues with programs? What about the new quick time? how long does it take to convert a video to a iphone format??

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
is it stable enough to work on?? (what am I asking.. it is Leopard.. always stable) Are there any compatibility issues with programs? What about the new quick time? how long does it take to convert a video to a iphone format??

It seems very stable. I have used the iPhone 3.0 Snow Leopard SDK with success already, and have had no crashes or hangs. I have not done video conversion, but the quicktime interface is great. I like how the borders go away so its just a floating video. Also, playing video from the thumbnail is quick, and pretty sweet. Useless, but sweet.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
It seems very stable. I have used the iPhone 3.0 Snow Leopard SDK with success already, and have had no crashes or hangs. I have not done video conversion, but the quicktime interface is great. I like how the borders go away so its just a floating video. Also, playing video from the thumbnail is quick, and pretty sweet. Useless, but sweet.

Can you test Mail.app? I had a problem with earlier builds in which Mail.app wont remember the size of the window I set. Everytime i exit the app or minimize it, it changes the window size back to default

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Can you test Mail.app? I had a problem with earlier builds in which Mail.app wont remember the size of the window I set. Everytime i exit the app or minimize it, it changes the window size back to default

It loads the previous window size on every launch, looks like they fixed your bug.

italiansauce88

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
How is flash video on youtube, etc.

How about video chats via iChat?

Heat/Performance/Coolbook thoughts?

Thanks!!

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota

Thanks!!

Sitting idle here the CPU is at 110(F). 165 degrees after watching a 5 minute youtube with the fan at 2500 RPM. When using skype video chat and watching a quicktime movie, temps maxed at 170 degrees, then the fan kicked up and they went down to ~165.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada

Thanks!!

CoolBook isn't compatible. This is my only gripe with Snow Leopard. I'm simply browsing the web and the machine is running at 6200RPM and 70 degrees Celsius. Quicktime stutters quite often now, too. CoolBook was really a godsend.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
How about little information about third party program compatibility?

I haven't used much as far as 3rd party apps yet. Skype works fine, Office 2008 seems to be working fine, and obviously the included Safari 4 is working great. I am going to install my 3rd party arsenal when I get home.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
how about hulu.com and maybe hd clips from youtube or hulu. does it improve the stuttering at all? or make it worse? I'm so tempted to sell my MBA revA because of the stutter.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I think the good news is that it will run wonderfultastically on all Macs that Leopard ran decently on. What kind of speed bumps are you seeing?

Is this a new scale? Snappyness -> wonderfultastical -> Zippymondo -> ?

Presumably the 43 second start up and 4 second shut down are smaller for MacBooks and MacBook Pros? Or are the MacBooks range giving similiar values?

ncbill

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2002
Can you sort by size in search results?

That option was in Tiger, but was taken out in Leopard.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I've just upgraded, didn't do a clean install. Should I have done?

I did a clean install on my rev B SSD, and this puppy flies.

I am really liking exchange integration, and you can set up more than one which is even better than outlook, LOL MS.

Shutdown is SICK, like 1-2 sec, and it's off, at first i thought it died LOL.

Nice so far.

My Office 08 is running fine, as is my 3rd party apps thus far.

Speedy little bugger, off to test HD with HULU.

TheRiseofTheFal

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Lexington
You beat me to it!! I did it earlier today and I must say this may be the update that turns the air around. It runs great even on the Rev. A, 1.6 80gb. I went from ~43gb to 55 somehow, without doing a clean install. I have this much space because I stream music from an external because I had been originally running out of space, but I may throw it back on now :D. I really must say how much this is a great update and I'm glad I pulled the trigger. I'm running youtube HD trailers and they look good for me without any annoying fan or heat issues. Hmmm... maybe this MBA still has a few tricks up its sleeve and we just may see its lifeline expand or apple uses the architecture in place and creates a truly amazing mobile device. To be honest I am now finally very happy I went with the MBA... I don't think I could trade this portability and function for anything else now and this is coming from a Rev. A second month owner :) bravo apple

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Man I am stoked about that! That's the only machine I questioned!
Question it no more :)
how about hulu.com and maybe hd clips from youtube or hulu. does it improve the stuttering at all? or make it worse? I'm so tempted to sell my MBA revA because of the stutter.
Hulu ran good after a slight stutter when switching from windowed to full screen.
I think the good news is that it will run wonderfultastically on all Macs that Leopard ran decently on. What kind of speed bumps are you seeing?
Everything seems snappier, even for a fresh install. Even seems to sleep faster. No real hiccups anywhere right now.
Is this a new scale? Snappyness -> wonderfultastical -> Zippymondo -> ?

Presumably the 43 second start up and 4 second shut down are smaller for MacBooks and MacBook Pros? Or are the MacBooks range giving similiar values?
I haven't put it on my pro yet but when I do I will report back. It is much faster than my leopard install for booting however.
Can you sort by size in search results?

That option was in Tiger, but was taken out in Leopard.
Yes, you can sort by size.
I've just upgraded, didn't do a clean install. Should I have done?
Probably, its the best way to see a non-hindered example of the initial OS speed.

dannster

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
London, UK
I've not heard of anyone first upgrading then doing a clean install and if there's any difference, so I'll do it later and report back :)

After upgrading I can't tell any major changes to be honest! :cool:

From what I've noticed so far:

Trash takes longer to empty
Sound is improved over iTunes
Shuts down faster
More space on my SSD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.