Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I saw increases in battery life on my rev C using Snow Leopard. its not like double the life but there was a noticeable 30 minutes or so increase

That's pretty good. I just want to make sure my battery life won't decrease with installing SL. I'll be sure to tell my friend that too. Thanks! :)

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
WHAT mac OS X snow leopard has come out??????????????

i wonder how different speeds will be between the macbooks that were created in 2008 between the white shells, and aluminum shells, cause i got a white one, then 3 months later, apple introduced the unibody!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh:mad:

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
WHAT mac OS X snow leopard has come out??????????????

i wonder how different speeds will be between the macbooks that were created in 2008 between the white shells, and aluminum shells, cause i got a white one, then 3 months later, apple introduced the unibody!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh:mad:

No, September I believe. Some folks were Beta testers.

All sound promising and should be a big benefit to the MBA!

Joe

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
For some reason, the Apple store decided that they would charge my card $21.06 for my previous order ("up to date") for 2 Snow Leopard DVD's.

Not sure why they chose August 3rd to finally charge my card when I ordered over a month ago. Suspicious. Did Snow Leopard ship today?

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
For some reason, the Apple store decided that they would charge my card $21.06 for my previous order ("up to date") for 2 Snow Leopard DVD's.

Not sure why they chose August 3rd to finally charge my card when I ordered over a month ago. Suspicious. Did Snow Leopard ship today?

No - I just received another Beta from apple 3 days ago - so it's not finished yet...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

They only just allowed pre-orders, so maybe that's why? Charge once Apple allows pre-orders from 3rd party retailers like Amazon.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Snow Leopard seed 10a432 is supposed to be the Gold Master - this has been reported all over the web.

Anyways just wanted everyone to know that Apple is sending all beta testers a dvd copy of 10a432 - for bug testing - and the usual error submission procedures are in place.

So either Apple is sending all testers a free copy of the new OS - or 10a432 is not the final build.

Since all Canadian testers won't be receiving their dvd's until mid next week via DHL - it seems odd if this was still a beta, because our feedback would not be seen until only a couple weeks before its formal release - which isn't really enough time for pre-release bug fixes.

Anyways - testers are also provided a direct download link for the dvd's - so if 10a432 IS the RTM - then expect some legitimate reviews of it on the MBA to be on this site BEFORE the official release.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I just want to report that the latest Snow Leopard release is running great still. Startup and shutdown times are a hair faster actually. I have had absolutely 0 beach balls or hangs. Everything is running smoothly.

I have XCode installed with the latest iPhone SDK (3.1) and did some compilation of applications I am working on. Overall it was very fast, and the system remained very responsive. I really like what I continue to see with SL.

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
I plan to get it the day it comes out since I JUST got my air. It will cost me $10 supposedly because I got it after June, and there is that whole update system...

I have SSD and 2.13GHz, boot up times are instant already, getting even faster would be crazy! I am excited for quicktime X. Is the new quicktime nice? Can it run AVI's?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I now have official Snow Leopard installed on my Air. Fresh install, and it still works great. Boots fast, shuts down fast, and is very responsive. Thus far I am very pleased.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
My version B is running cool and fast also. Clean install, then migrated from Time Machine backup. Gained 14 needed GB.:)

I got a little over 13Gb back on my RevB SSD. Just did the update from DVD.
Before and after

Attachments

• 5800_1104574826953_1604238172_30315127_1901597_n.jpg
    5800_1104574826953_1604238172_30315127_1901597_n.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 138
  • 5800_1104591667374_1604238172_30315155_2604375_n.jpg
    5800_1104591667374_1604238172_30315155_2604375_n.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 152

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
did anyone install SL over remote disc

i have a rev A 1.6 HHD. i was wondering how is the experience of doing erase and install of SL over remote disc. is it doable? will it be very slow compared to using the external dvd drive? Thanks!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I got a little over 13Gb back on my RevB SSD. Just did the update from DVD.
Before and after

You gained about 7 GB of space just like everyone else. Nobody truly "gained" the space they're reporting.

I keep seeing all these people report that they gained anywhere from 13GB to 28GB of space back, but they're all seriously incorrect.

Snow Leopard counts the size of the disk differently than Leopard. This has been reported elsewhere, yet everyone keeps reporting how much space they "gained," even journalists who reviewed Snow Leopard.

Check your disk's capacity. It went up by 8.3 GB. You're not really recovering that 8.3 GB of space... the portion of your drive being used by your OS, apps, and files is still the same. So, an app or file that supposedly took 1GB of space before is now taking more than 1GB of space.

The more space someone reports "gaining" back is directly related to the size of the HDD/SSD. Everyone is really getting approximately 7 GB of space back. The rest is all disk reporting size differences between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Instead of checking how much "available" space, people should be calculating the difference in how much space is being used versus the percentage of drive space that the used amount is. They could then calculate the true "gained" space.

The capacity change doesn't truly gain any space, it's just a way the disk is reported. Do a Google search and read about it.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
You gained about 7 GB of space just like everyone else. Nobody truly "gained" the space they're reporting.

I keep seeing all these people report that they gained anywhere from 13GB to 28GB of space back, but they're all seriously incorrect.

Snow Leopard counts the size of the disk differently than Leopard. This has been reported elsewhere, yet everyone keeps reporting how much space they "gained," even journalists who reviewed Snow Leopard.

Check your disk's capacity. It went up by 8.3 GB. You're not really recovering that 8.3 GB of space... the portion of your drive being used by your OS, apps, and files is still the same. So, an app or file that supposedly took 1GB of space before is now taking more than 1GB of space.

The more space someone reports "gaining" back is directly related to the size of the HDD/SSD. Everyone is really getting approximately 7 GB of space back. The rest is all disk reporting size differences between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Instead of checking how much "available" space, people should be calculating the difference in how much space is being used versus the percentage of drive space that the used amount is. They could then calculate the true "gained" space.

The capacity change doesn't truly gain any space, it's just a way the disk is reported. Do a Google search and read about it.

hmm 5GB less used space, 8GB more drive space. My math says 13GB of more space to fill up on the exact same PC, I didn't delete any content, that space can be filled now. See my attachments above. I'm not really arguing, just seeing the glass half full.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
hmm 5GB less used space, 8GB more drive space. My math says 13GB of more space to fill up on the exact same PC, I didn't delete any content, that space can be filled now. See my attachments above. I'm not really arguing, just seeing the glass half full.

No, you're flat out wrong. There is about 7 GB of "extra" space available now. Your apps and files are all reporting using more space than they were before. A 1 GB file before is now taking more than 1 GB. A 1 GB app before is now taking more than 1 GB. It's a reporting issue. You are freeing up the 7 GB of space that Leopard PPC files were on drive. That 7 GB is the only "extra" space available.

Do a simple Google search about it, and you should be able to do the math in your head in a few minutes. Snow Leopard is reporting disk size differently which is OBVIOUS. You see it in the "capacity" reported right there in your own screen shots. The capacity of your drive is NOT changing in ANY way. That extra capacity is NOT freeing space for files, apps, or OS. It's merely how the drive is reporting space.

The bigger the drive, the more supposed "free" space being reported. I cannot believe everyone is reporting this. You're all smarter than this... I know because you're using Macs.

True "gained" space is only the approximately 7 GB of PPC files being removed in Snow Leopard... the "gained" capacity of reported disk size change is NOT freed space but only a change in the way Snow Leopard reports drive's capacity. I cannot believe that this is not being pointed out.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
No, you're flat out wrong. There is about 7 GB of "extra" space available now. Your apps and files are all reporting using more space than they were before. A 1 GB file before is now taking more than 1 GB. A 1 GB app before is now taking more than 1 GB. It's a reporting issue. You are freeing up the 7 GB of space that Leopard PPC files were on drive. That 7 GB is the only "extra" space available.

Do a simple Google search about it, and you should be able to do the math in your head in a few minutes. Snow Leopard is reporting disk size differently which is OBVIOUS. You see it in the "capacity" reported right there in your own screen shots. The capacity of your drive is NOT changing in ANY way. That extra capacity is NOT freeing space for files, apps, or OS. It's merely how the drive is reporting space.

The bigger the drive, the more supposed "free" space being reported. I cannot believe everyone is reporting this. You're all smarter than this... I know because you're using Macs.

True "gained" space is only the approximately 7 GB of PPC files being removed in Snow Leopard... the "gained" capacity of reported disk size change is NOT freed space but only a change in the way Snow Leopard reports drive's capacity. I cannot believe that this is not being pointed out.

Glass half full, glass half full.

megasad

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
No, you're flat out wrong...
Glass half full, glass half full.
Whilst agreeing with you both and just wanting to make it clear in case there was still any confusion, from bbotte's own screenshots:

Space Used Before: 61173301248 bytes
Space Used After: 51613122560 bytes

Difference: 9560178688 bytes

AKA 8.90GiB "old style" or 9.56GB "new style".

Which is still a sizeable chunk.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't know, but for some reason after the upgrade my total disk space dropped from 128GB to 121GB :(

manhorse

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2008
BootCamp 3.0 Good Stuff

I installed the new version of BootCamp on my Windows 7 partition on the MacBook Air. The biggest thing is the ability to read the Mac OS partition while in Windows which is a god send. I'm simply amazed at how well Snow Leopard and Windows 7 run on the Air, especially with an SSD drive. I believe this is a testament to solid hardware. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.