Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
On my MP Vuze doesn't work. Under the A354 build it would start but downloads were a slouch. Under A380 Vuze wouldn't even start up. I think they still have to a few things with Java.

Cyberduck doesn't work because of Java, I wouldn't be surprised if Vuze was the same situation.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I tried the cd in my macpro and it booted whit it whit no problems, so its not the disc..

Its like that the leopard snow installation made my macbookair not able to boot older mac versions to setup and install.

It seems like I have to send in my MBA to a local apple repair center, but what the heck should i say, that i got a copy of snow and was hyped on seeing how it looked and wanted a little taste of what is going to be my main OS in a few months???

Looks like SL has made changes to the EFI partition which prevents anything older from booting. You are going to have to wipe your entire hard drive clean.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Looks like SL has made changes to the EFI partition which prevents anything older from booting. You are going to have to wipe your entire hard drive clean.

Makes sense since people have been complaining about Apple still using an old EFI standard, rather than the newer one which is finally supported in Windows 7.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
As long as TriTag still works I'm delighted. If it doesn't them errrmm life ends!! If someone would see if that app still works it would be greatly appreciated!! :D

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009

Wait, If I had 2 partitions, one for documents, one for the OS, and I wanted to boot an older version...Would I need to format both?

Clony

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009

How do i do that?

When i boot up from SL disc and run the disk utlity and delete my disk, its always like 2 folders and 3-5 files left on it.

Are some of those files EFI partition?

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
After removing and reinstalling CoolBook, it DOES work and fantastically. CoolBook really is a lifesaver for the Rev.A MBA and the difference is just remarkable.

isaaclimdc

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Mail.app sorting bug?

Does anyone experience a problem with Mail.app 4.0 in the latest Build 10A394 where you just can't make it stay as "sort by date received" (reverse chronological sorting)? Even though I click it, when I close the window and open it back up it reverts to sorting by chronological order.

Any help? I believe this is a bug; is anyone else experiencing this?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Does anyone experience a problem with Mail.app 4.0 in the latest Build 10A394 where you just can't make it stay as "sort by date received" (reverse chronological sorting)? Even though I click it, when I close the window and open it back up it reverts to sorting by chronological order.

Any help? I believe this is a bug; is anyone else experiencing this?

Mine seems to be sorting fine also upon re-opening.

I usually sort my mail by newest on top, and I have 5 mailboxes including 2 exchange accounts. All seem to be working correctly.

Elgabacho

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
USB Install

May be a bit off-topic, but is it possible to install the Snow Leo off USB hard drive attached to an Air?

I'm not sure, I installed it from a flash drive.

Also in relation to some other posts, I first did a clean install of SL and tried to install Fusion and it did not work. So I had to reinstall Leopard then install Fusion then upgrade to SL. Everything works great now and it's a lot faster than Leopard.

Sportsam625

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
when i install snow leopard will i loose all of my files and 3rd party apps?

I know this sounds like a stupid question but im out of town when the release is and i wont have my backup with me.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
when i install snow leopard will i loose all of my files and 3rd party apps?

I know this sounds like a stupid question but im out of town when the release is and i wont have my backup with me.

You can upgrade from 10.5 -> 10.6 without any problems. I did that.

CoolPuppy

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
Problem installing SL on a MacBook Air

Whenever I boot up the SL install disk (either plugged in via USB drive or remote disc from my iMac), I select English as my language, "Continue" on the welcome screen, and when I get to the portion where I have to choose a disk to install onto, my MBA's hard drive has a yellow triangle on it and a caption underneath that says "Mac OS X Cannot Start Up From This Disk".

I've used Disk Utility to Verify and Repair, but still get the same result.

My MacBook Air is a 2nd generation machine, 120G hard drive (45G free), and MS Office 2008 installed. Other than that (and all my music and files), it's exactly as it came from Apple when I ordered it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Clony

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
You can upgrade from 10.5 -> 10.6 without any problems. I did that.

What about 10.6 ->10.5? anybody else having problems downgrading?

As earlier in this thread, i have problems booting the osx 10.5 disc to formate and downgrade to 10.5.. its only in a instant grey boot screen loop..

irontony

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2005
New Zealand
CoolBook isn't compatible. This is my only gripe with Snow Leopard. I'm simply browsing the web and the machine is running at 6200RPM and 70 degrees Celsius. Quicktime stutters quite often now, too. CoolBook was really a godsend.

I know I dont have an Air, but My Macbook Pro also runs hot under Snow Leopard.

I was encoding with Handbrake and my CPU was at 70 degrees Celsius but my fans were only running at 2000rpm! I installed FanControl and it works fine under 10.6

Other than that... 10.6 has been stable, no other issues and is very fast.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
The quick shutdown speed I see on Leopard as well. But maybe that's probably just the 2.13Ghz SSD model. Can't wait for Snow Leopard though.

Isn't the trimmed size due to them not needing to install all the powerpc files as well and only intel now?

Also, I'm curious about something. I just switched back to Mac after a year on PC and haven't kept up to date on the upcoming Snow Leopard features. I heard it supports GPU acceleration for QuickTime and other things. Does it also support GPU acceleration for flash? That would make a huge difference in temps on the MBA.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA

As earlier in this thread, i have problems booting the osx 10.5 disc to formate and downgrade to 10.5.. its only in a instant grey boot screen loop..

This is where time machine works wonders. I just use a time machine back up to restore back to 10.5... i dunno if you can downgrade 10.6 -> 10.5

barbro66

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah SL updates the EFI on your main drive, which means it can no longer boot into 10.5, which is a pain. The only way to downgrade it to go into Disk Utility from the Leopard installer and reformat your hard drive. Then you can install Leopard.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Any battery life tests? Since SL is all 64-bit, doesn't the battery really take a hit? My friend wants SL on her MBA and me as well on my MBP. I just need to know about battery life, is it better or worse than Leopard. Or same.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The quick shutdown speed I see on Leopard as well. But maybe that's probably just the 2.13Ghz SSD model. Can't wait for Snow Leopard though.

Isn't the trimmed size due to them not needing to install all the powerpc files as well and only intel now?

Also, I'm curious about something. I just switched back to Mac after a year on PC and haven't kept up to date on the upcoming Snow Leopard features. I heard it supports GPU acceleration for QuickTime and other things. Does it also support GPU acceleration for flash? That would make a huge difference in temps on the MBA.

No GPU acceleration for flash, that stuff doesn't exist, Mac or PC.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Any battery life tests? Since SL is all 64-bit, doesn't the battery really take a hit? My friend wants SL on her MBA and me as well on my MBP. I just need to know about battery life, is it better or worse than Leopard. Or same.

I saw increases in battery life on my rev C using Snow Leopard. its not like double the life but there was a noticeable 30 minutes or so increase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.