Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Just published an update to the State of 8K on MacOS which includes this absolutely juicy little snippet I stumbled upon today coming out of AU Optronics:
32″ 8K panel with 4608 zones – a very impressive spec both in terms of resolution (7680 x 4320) and number of dimming zones (4608). The M320MAN01.0 is pencilled in for Q2 2023 production which is good news. It will be 60Hz only, but will offer HDR 1000 support and 99% DCI-P3 and Adobe RGB gamut coverage. Expect monitors using this to be very expensive and aimed at the professional market as and when they are announced.

We might finally be seeing an update to the Dell UP3218K on the horizon!

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Reactions: dabotsonline

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I think 8k will mostly be lost at that small size. I think you need around 43” screen to basically use 8k at 4khidpi retna level and for the screen desktop space to be meaningful.

At 32” you’ll just end up with hyper retna and no real improvement in desktop real estate. The print would be like microfiche.

No one has really been thoughtful about what 8k on a desktop monitor means imo.

Then again, that’s just me. Some may love it. Different strokes and all that.

As always, ymmv.

I’ve been thinking about making a big mega monitor. 4 85” 8k screens effectively creating a single 16k display and started testing distances and resolution and where things look “right” at those extremes. Another project but I basically need to get the 85” screens out probably around 5-6’ out.

The inverse kind of applies here. 32” at say 24” away from your face is just too small. Either you pull it up to your nose, or you need to get a screen around 43” for effectively a retna 4k of real estate display.

Reactions: Adult80HD

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I think 8k will mostly be lost at that small size. I think you need around 43” screen to basically use 8k at 4khidpi retna level and for the screen desktop space to be meaningful.

At 32” you’ll just end up with hyper retna and no real improvement in desktop real estate. The print would be like microfiche.
You are completely wrong though 😉

279 PPI looks amazing, especially at 4K HiDPI on a 32" monitor.

I went from the 5K 27" to the 8K 32" and the difference in real estate and clarity is staggering. Remember you sit much closer to a 27" and 32" monitor. I personally sit around 50 cm away but will move my head closer for fine details when editing pictures.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
You are completely wrong though 😉

279 PPI looks amazing, especially at 4K HiDPI on a 32" monitor.

I went from the 5K 27" to the 8K 32" and the difference in real estate and clarity is staggering. Remember you sit much closer to a 27" and 32" monitor. I personally sit around 50 cm away but will move my head closer for fine details when editing pictures.

If you like your extra desk space really small and and appreciate the extra detail that fine, thats great and congrats on the fantastic eye sight! These things have large subjective components so I’m always happy that people find something that works for them.

Kudos!

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
I use 3x Dell U2720's all running at their native 4k resolution. Size-wise, this is almost perfect to me, although I wouldn't mind it being a little bit larger. Resolution wise, I hate ~160ppi and would absolutely love this if it were 4k HiDPI. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the extra clarity of 4K HiDPI would make 27" my preferred screen size.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Did anyone here managed to install OSX on 8k@60Hz - HDMI 2.1 ??

‘I tried a while back when they updated macos to support hdmi 2.1 with the new m2 MacBook pros. Unfortunately it still didn’t work on my 6900xt but it does work on those new machines. I plan on trying again if I hear of any graphics driver updates or when Ventura is replaced.

Reactions: dannyx

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
It pops up for me sometimes when I’m toggling between 30hz to 60hz at 8k but always disappears. Yours stays stuck on the screen? Or you just want yours to never show up?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
To never show up
I wish I could do this

If that's the worst you're getting with a Samsung TV, I envy you. Mine has an inalterable "feature" where it tags [TV] on the beginning of its network name, and since square brackets aren't a part of the allowed character set for network names, that causes it's details to be transposed by one field in my router - the effect being that when trying to set up a parental permissions to block it from accessing certain websites / IP addresses, the router's settings can't accept its MAC address, so it can't be filtered.

• Wow

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
If that's the worst you're getting with a Samsung TV, I envy you. Mine has an inalterable "feature" where it tags [TV] on the beginning of its network name, and since square brackets aren't a part of the allowed character set for network names, that causes it's details to be transposed by one field in my router - the effect being that when trying to set up a parental permissions to block it from accessing certain websites / IP addresses, the router's settings can't accept its MAC address, so it can't be filtered.

Wow. Mine is boring. I think the game mode sometimes flashes for few secs when I turn the screen on. It just shows up as samsungtv on wifi.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Wow. Mine is boring. I think the game mode sometimes flashes for few secs when I turn the screen on. It just shows up as samsungtv on wifi.
1685323175920.png

This is what my router shows (black boxes added) once you've configured a parental filter and saved it - all the details one field to the left, so the filter doesn't apply *facepalm*

• Wow

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I never used the Samsung QN900A, as a TV
Not even 2 minutes
Only as PC monitor

yea Me too. But it shouldn’t affect the wifi name. Weird! Must be some new feature? Maybe I’m glad my firmware hasn’t been updated in like over a year!

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
Guys, do you think, Apple will improve the HDR - HiDpi issue, in the future?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
8K is doubling the resolution per dimension, i.e. when talking about dpi/ppi . But 4x increase in area relatively to 4K. But I would argue that the perception is a doubling.

E.g. a 1080p screen at 32” has about 70 dpi, a 4K has 140dpi, and an 8K has 280 dpi (higher than retina on an iPhone).
That's IF you could find an 8K display at 32". From what I can tell they're all quite large -- which makes sense for a TV because you're gonna be sitting at least 10 feet away. But when using an 8K display at 65" I think you're down to like 135ppi. Again, great for TV distance but up close, quite chunky compared with the pixel density of any display Apple makes.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I would think there should be some HiDpi settings now since apple now does support 8k. Some smaller monitors were mentioned here, I think a small dell 8k and HiDPI worked.

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
@ZombiePhysicist, you said, you already tried OSX on your QN900A ( 65 inches ? )
How does the fonts look ? Excepting the BGR vs RGB
Are they looking sharp, clear ? Something close like an 5k Retina 27 inches ?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
@ZombiePhysicist, you said, you already tried OSX on your QN900A ( 65 inches ? )
How does the fonts look ? Excepting the BGR vs RGB
Are they looking sharp, clear ? Something close like an 5k Retina 27 inches ?

I have an 85". It looks great. Gave details back in this post here:

Some discussion of dot pitch and distance from screen

What the set up looks like

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.