Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
Would any of these solutions work for a 55 inch 8K Samsung QE55QN700B TV?

HDMI 2.0
Yes (HDMI 2.1 x 4)

I've got a Radeon Pro Vega II Duo in a MP2019

It says it handles 6 XDRs! but no idea if that allows outputting a single 8K.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Would any of these solutions work for a 55 inch 8K Samsung QE55QN700B TV?

HDMI 2.0
Yes (HDMI 2.1 x 4)

I've got a Radeon Pro Vega II Duo in a MP2019

It says it handles 6 XDRs! but no idea if that allows outputting a single 8K.

The solution I share using the funky DisplayPort to HDMI cable *might*. IT works for me, but some people tried it and have not had success.

I have not seen any PCI HDMI 2.1 to TV (with a straight HDMI 2.1 cable) work.

It does seem to work in apple's latest machines with their built in GPUs. Not sure if any of this will change with updated OS.

Sorry, wish there was a more clearcut answer.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Just an FYI, I recently updated my Samsung QN85QN900AFXZA firmware to the latest. It seems to 'snap' into the correct resolution more quickly and with lets jumping back and forth between resolutions. Firmware version 2141.

Reactions: Arvine

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
From a suggestion in another thread, this app is really interesting for screen management.

Reactions: skeptech

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
A question to all you guys using an 8K TV on a Mac: do you feel the display quality (other than resolution) significantly different from a good computer monitor?

I am thinking about getting an 8K TV for my Mac, for the bigger screen real estate. However, I often need to edit photos. I kind of worry whether a TV is really OK for photo editing.

Reactions: traderdude123

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
A question to all you guys using an 8K TV on a Mac: do you feel the display quality (other than resolution) significantly different from a good computer monitor?

I am thinking about getting an 8K TV for my Mac, for the bigger screen real estate. However, I often need to edit photos. I kind of worry whether a TV is really OK for photo editing.

With regard to mine, I don’t think it’s what you want for great color matched photos. Not because the colors are off per se but it doesn’t have full 444, or eve 422 color space, and a few tiny artifacts at native pixel for pixel resolution. Also you’d have to calibrate it so the profile works. That said, I personally think it looks great for photos, but I’m not a professional that color matches etc.

However, one thing it’s waaaay better at, you can blow up a photo to full resolution on an 85” screen, and the detail you are able to actually appreciate is stunning. The screen can show over 33megapixels. Even if you shoot over that, the sheer number of pixels you can see blown up takes you to another level of detail, and I do find surprising value in that. It tells me that 16k screens will be a thing, having around 125megapixel displays will make photo work really great.

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Thanks. I regularly do hardware calibration on my monitors. I definitely will do the same if I go the route of 8K TV. But like what you said, the limited color can be a major problem for me. I use medium format cameras, and I do multi-shot panoramas. This is the motivation to get an 8K TV: to get more pixels. I have a feeling that at the end I will settle with an Apple or Dell 6K monitor, but I will keep exploring the 8K TV possibility before a decision is eventually made.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Thanks. I regularly do hardware calibration on my monitors. I definitely will do the same if I go the route of 8K TV. But like what you said, the limited color can be a major problem for me. I use medium format cameras, and I do multi-shot panoramas. This is the motivation to get an 8K TV: to get more pixels. I have a feeling that at the end I will settle with an Apple or Dell 6K monitor, but I will keep exploring the 8K TV possibility before a decision is eventually made.

best thing To do is find a place that would let you test it. If you have an m2 mbp you could just plug into an 8k tv and try it.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark

If you have at least an M2 Pro based Mac you can also get the Dell UP3218K which works out of the box now.

I scan century old glass plates and they look stunning. They are usually around 100MPixel (~15000 x ~6000 pixels) depending on the glass plate size and scanning resolution.

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
If you have at least an M2 Pro based Mac you can also get the Dell UP3218K which works out of the box now.

I scan century old glass plates and they look stunning. They are usually around 100MPixel (~15000 x ~6000 pixels) depending on the glass plate size and scanning resolution.
I've been anxiously waiting for Dell to update the UP3218K w/ modern connectivity, but given their recent trend of basically including a docking station within the monitor, I'm guessing we'll be stuck waiting for Thunderbolt 5 due to the bandwidth needs of 8K + multiple USB3/4 ports + 2.5GbE all potentially combined.

So yea, if you really wanted 8k, this is still a great option.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Not to dissuade you guys, but I cannot tell you how transformatively awesome having an 85" 8k display on your desk is. Presenting data to people that come up to my desk. SO AWESOME. Also, when you preview things hitting the space bar, photos or PDFs, they default to taking up the full height of the screen, at first it was just hilarious. But man, it's soooooo useful. For architectural blueprint work, OMG, next level being able to see so much of the plans at really great size and detail. What started out as cartoon level hilarity, is now 'cant live without' and essential.

The above may come off as tough to believe. I likely wouldnt have believed it either, reading it, but after using it for over a year, man, I ADORE this setup.

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Man, 85" on your desk!?? Do you need to move your chair to see different corners? :).

Based on my experience of using a 32" 4K monitor, I believe the sweet spot for me would be 36" 8K. If I end up going the 8K TV route, I will try to find the smallest. Looks like there are 45" options. That should be enough.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I've been anxiously waiting for Dell to update the UP3218K w/ modern connectivity, but given their recent trend of basically including a docking station within the monitor, I'm guessing we'll be stuck waiting for Thunderbolt 5 due to the bandwidth needs of 8K + multiple USB3/4 ports + 2.5GbE all potentially combined.

So yea, if you really wanted 8k, this is still a great option.
I'm guessing they are also waiting on a panel update to IPS Black or similar from LG.

The ViewSonic VG3281 was just announced with two HDMI 2.1 and one DisplayPort 1.4, headphone output, KVM switch and three USB 3.0 connectors. USB Type-C (with DP Alt mode) supports the USB Power Delivery protocol rated at 96 watts. The price is only $2400 in China.

It probably replaces the announced VP3286-8K with TB3 that never materialised as M1 Macs didn't support 8K.

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
I'm guessing they are also waiting on a panel update to IPS Black or similar from LG.

The ViewSonic VG3281 was just announced with two HDMI 2.1 and one DisplayPort 1.4, headphone output, KVM switch and three USB 3.0 connectors. USB Type-C (with DP Alt mode) supports the USB Power Delivery protocol rated at 96 watts. The price is only $2400 in China.

It probably replaces the announced VP3286-8K with TB3 that never materialised as M1 Macs didn't support 8K.
300 nit brightness, 1000:1 contrast. These do no look impressive at all. No wonder that price tag.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
300 nit brightness, 1000:1 contrast. These do no look impressive at all. No wonder that price tag.
It's for graphic design, photography and printed media. It will only ever be used around 80-120 nit depending on target media and large offset printer used 🤷🏼‍♂️

It is color calibrated to ~ΔE ≤1 from the factory and covers 99% Adobe RGB and DCI-P3 color gamut.

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009

Interesting that it's DisplayPort 1.4. Must be using DSC then?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Man, 85" on your desk!?? Do you need to move your chair to see different corners? :).

Based on my experience of using a 32" 4K monitor, I believe the sweet spot for me would be 36" 8K. If I end up going the 8K TV route, I will try to find the smallest. Looks like there are 45" options. That should be enough.

If you go to the first post here, the 2nd update discusses dot pitch and screen distances in a bunch of posts in this thread.

TLDR the distances and dot pitch for most of the screen is like having 3 30" cinema displays on your desk (which I've had for years). The easily viewed/usable space is about 60" of the 85". The area beyond that is useful for work piles of documents/windows, and you can easily stretch most documents to say 200% and they are fully useable even at the extremities.

papadeltazulu

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2023
Just a heads up for people looking to get 8k TV as monitor: 55inch QN700B(not sure about A or C) is a way to go. QN900B IS NOT.

After seeing in-person QN700B, I've got 65 inch QN900B, thinking that it could be only better, but it was terrible mistake. There are shadows forming around text(pixel leaking to neighboring pixels), dithering is still there even with VRR(less but still there) and with VRR there is some kind of weird compression going on. Grey text on that chroma subsampling test image is showing rigged/multiple gradients of grey,.. There are also artifacts on text, visible on black text on bright background.
Here is picture of that shadowing around text:
guaf40wjzwmb1.png

With GSync on:
av9odbr3zzmb1.png

Grey text with VRR on:

AIL4fc-CBXdmMftApJn7YmxX1q7pBRUhuFuIndvP4MkUB4YuUnv_qlG1tvWvEP49go9dtifdzZuapiiOol2Lp8Dmna0ZERjGu5vpmLjLwR8vMNny9fvUiPAhw3CuM0JBYTN-1pm4i-qJcsQI2fy2dh2W9qaXLw=w899-h1198-s-no

With QN700B there is zero shadowing around text, with VRR dithering is gone and text looks good. I understand that on mac I can't get 444 with 8k60 but seems like it doesn't really matter that much when you have 8k.

On Windows I could get 444 8k60 with PC Mode/GameMode but with GSync off(RTX 4080) but it doesn't really make it better for text compared to my macbook m2 pro.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Just a heads up for people looking to get 8k TV as monitor: 55inch QN700B(not sure about A or C) is a way to go. QN900B IS NOT.

After seeing in-person QN700B, I've got 65 inch QN900B, thinking that it could be only better, but it was terrible mistake. There are shadows forming around text(pixel leaking to neighboring pixels), dithering is still there even with VRR(less but still there) and with VRR there is some kind of weird compression going on. Grey text on that chroma subsampling test image is showing rigged/multiple gradients of grey,.. There are also artifacts on text, visible on black text on bright background.
Here is picture of that shadowing around text:
guaf40wjzwmb1.png

With GSync on:
av9odbr3zzmb1.png

Grey text with VRR on:

AIL4fc-CBXdmMftApJn7YmxX1q7pBRUhuFuIndvP4MkUB4YuUnv_qlG1tvWvEP49go9dtifdzZuapiiOol2Lp8Dmna0ZERjGu5vpmLjLwR8vMNny9fvUiPAhw3CuM0JBYTN-1pm4i-qJcsQI2fy2dh2W9qaXLw=w899-h1198-s-no

With QN700B there is zero shadowing around text, with VRR dithering is gone and text looks good. I understand that on mac I can't get 444 with 8k60 but seems like it doesn't really matter that much when you have 8k.

On Windows I could get 444 8k60 with PC Mode/GameMode but with GSync off(RTX 4080) but it doesn't really make it better for text compared to my macbook m2 pro.

Interesting and helpful. in game mode my shadow/ghosting and dithering disappear. In all other modes it still shows. Wonder why the behaviors are so inconsistent on different models.

Fluppeteer

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
Hi all. I've been trying to follow along here, but I was hoping I could check the current state of play for Dell UP3218K support - it's been a while since I checked this thread, and it seems things have moved on. I have an M1Max MBP, and it appears that setting custom resolutions above 6016 pixels wide doesn't work (per SwitchResX). All I want is 7680x4320 at 30Hz, like my Intel/AMD MBP could do perfectly well, and my MBP clearly has the bandwidth since 3840x4320 60Hz is fine. (At 2x3840x4320 I get the rolling output problem that others have reported, presumably because the sides aren't genlocked.) This is a lot of pain (and a UP3218K that's been a paperweight for a couple of years) for someone's apparent decision to hard code "6016" as a maximum into a display driver.

Apologies for the rehash, just wanting to check whether I'm missing things or have misunderstood.

* The M2 (Pro and above) series apparently "just work" with the UP3218K at 8K now? Was that two connections and 60Hz only, as a special case? (I have a pair of 4K monitors plugged in as well, so I need the connectors; 60Hz is worse than 30Hz for me.) And this definitely works on the MacBook Pro, not just the Mac Studio?
* Is it that, again as a special case, the two displays appear as one to MacOS? MacOS's limited spanning support (as in you can't span some displays and treat others as independent) means that if I needed to run them as a shared desktop to make them work properly, it'd be a pain for the other three screens (including the laptop) I typically use.
* Am I right in saying you still can't do 7680x4320 30Hz from one connector/one display - or does that work too, even if you can't set the same resolution as a custom EDID?
* There was mention of the StarTech TB32DP14. StarTech tell me that they've "tried it with an 8K monitor" but can't confirm whether it works specifically with a UP3218K or an M1Max, even though they "support the Mac". Does it do anything helpful (e.g. 2x3840x4320 30Hz, genlocked) when on an M1Max MBP?

If that doesn't work...

* 8K60p over HDMI 2.1 requires either chroma downsampling or DSC. I assume neither play well with an HDMI-to-DisplayPort 8K30p "I'm sure they've tried this, honest" converter. Can you persuade an M2 MBP to run 8K30p without downsampling (presumably in RGB) or DSC? Is it/can it be 30-bit if you do?

I appreciate that Sonoma might be about to change things even on the M1, but I'm not especially optimistic. I'm pretty tired of testing every OS update just in case it fixes it, though.

Obviously Apple tech support refuse to tell me anything, or escalate this to someone who might know because the web site says "6K" and they'll apparently get into trouble for escalating a question with a known answer (despite my pointing out to them that my 2020 MBP *also* listed as "6K" but worked fine), and won't tell me anything about the M2 because I don't own one yet. Having done my share of low-level graphics, I find it vanishingly hard to believe that 6016 columns is a genuine hardware limit. Apple and StarTech sales are both of the "just buy it and return it if it doesn't work" persuasion, which is a bit of an expensive plan; Apple sales won't escalate a technical question even with a prospective MacBook sale dangling in front of them.

I appreciate that the M3 is in the wings, but if the actual limit is arbitrary software I'm not holding my breath for a fix. I'll pay to make it work, but I'm not really on for upgrading my MacBook if it *doesn't* solve the problem. Obviously I'd rather find a solution that lets my M1 do it (the upgrade will be a pain, even if it wasn't expensive) but at the moment I'm wasting the monitor.

Please help, resident experts.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Hi all. I've been trying to follow along here, but I was hoping I could check the current state of play for Dell UP3218K support - it's been a while since I checked this thread, and it seems things have moved on. I have an M1Max MBP, and it appears that setting custom resolutions above 6016 pixels wide doesn't work (per SwitchResX). All I want is 7680x4320 at 30Hz, like my Intel/AMD MBP could do perfectly well, and my MBP clearly has the bandwidth since 3840x4320 60Hz is fine. (At 2x3840x4320 I get the rolling output problem that others have reported, presumably because the sides aren't genlocked.) This is a lot of pain (and a UP3218K that's been a paperweight for a couple of years) for someone's apparent decision to hard code "6016" as a maximum into a display driver.

Apologies for the rehash, just wanting to check whether I'm missing things or have misunderstood.

* The M2 (Pro and above) series apparently "just work" with the UP3218K at 8K now? Was that two connections and 60Hz only, as a special case? (I have a pair of 4K monitors plugged in as well, so I need the connectors; 60Hz is worse than 30Hz for me.) And this definitely works on the MacBook Pro, not just the Mac Studio?
* Is it that, again as a special case, the two displays appear as one to MacOS? MacOS's limited spanning support (as in you can't span some displays and treat others as independent) means that if I needed to run them as a shared desktop to make them work properly, it'd be a pain for the other three screens (including the laptop) I typically use.
* Am I right in saying you still can't do 7680x4320 30Hz from one connector/one display - or does that work too, even if you can't set the same resolution as a custom EDID?
* There was mention of the StarTech TB32DP14. StarTech tell me that they've "tried it with an 8K monitor" but can't confirm whether it works specifically with a UP3218K or an M1Max, even though they "support the Mac". Does it do anything helpful (e.g. 2x3840x4320 30Hz, genlocked) when on an M1Max MBP?

If that doesn't work...

* 8K60p over HDMI 2.1 requires either chroma downsampling or DSC. I assume neither play well with an HDMI-to-DisplayPort 8K30p "I'm sure they've tried this, honest" converter. Can you persuade an M2 MBP to run 8K30p without downsampling (presumably in RGB) or DSC? Is it/can it be 30-bit if you do?

I appreciate that Sonoma might be about to change things even on the M1, but I'm not especially optimistic. I'm pretty tired of testing every OS update just in case it fixes it, though.

Obviously Apple tech support refuse to tell me anything, or escalate this to someone who might know because the web site says "6K" and they'll apparently get into trouble for escalating a question with a known answer (despite my pointing out to them that my 2020 MBP *also* listed as "6K" but worked fine), and won't tell me anything about the M2 because I don't own one yet. Having done my share of low-level graphics, I find it vanishingly hard to believe that 6016 columns is a genuine hardware limit. Apple and StarTech sales are both of the "just buy it and return it if it doesn't work" persuasion, which is a bit of an expensive plan; Apple sales won't escalate a technical question even with a prospective MacBook sale dangling in front of them.

I appreciate that the M3 is in the wings, but if the actual limit is arbitrary software I'm not holding my breath for a fix. I'll pay to make it work, but I'm not really on for upgrading my MacBook if it *doesn't* solve the problem. Obviously I'd rather find a solution that lets my M1 do it (the upgrade will be a pain, even if it wasn't expensive) but at the moment I'm wasting the monitor.

Please help, resident experts.
It doesn't support 8K 30Hz on a single cable for some weird reason. If connected with a single cable it will default to 4K 60Hz.

Otherwise it just works when plugged in with both cables at 8K 60Hz (or 48Hz if chosen) on M2 Pro and M2 Max.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 20.13.36.png

Fluppeteer

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
Thanks Hardwickj and Pressure.

Just to be clear, the 4K monitors (LG 24" Ultrafines) are working okay daisy-chained from one of my Thunderbolt ports. Normally I have a 5K hanging off the other side of the MacBook; I'd like to swap in my UP3218K when I'm doing photo editing (the 5K is brighter for general use, and faces a window). If the M2 support looks like two 3840x4320 displays and you need "displays have separate spaces" disabled to make it one screen, that's annoying - partly because I just prefer them being different spaces, but also because I've got different scaling compared with the UP3218K. If there's a magic mode that makes the UP3218K work as a single monitor over two connections even if "displays have separate spaces" is enabled, that removes *most* of my annoyance. Although I guess it may mean I can't use my (displayed) graphics tablet *as well*, if I'm using 4 "displays" already. It's also a bit annoying because I use magnetic Thunderbolt connectors, and they won't fit on both of the adjacent ports (which Apple put annoyingly close together), so I'd have to pull them out to use the ports for the Dell.

I really wish they'd just remove the 6016-column restriction. Not least because I don't really need an M2 for any other reason. (I also wish Apple tech support would escalate things they don't know.)

Thanks very much for the status update. Unless there's a miracle (either the StarTech works or Sonoma unexpectedly fixes things) it looks like I'll be doing an M2/M3 update, but at least my UP3218K might actually become useful again. And I'll be poor(er)!

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.