Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
That's IF you could find an 8K display at 32". From what I can tell they're all quite large -- which makes sense for a TV because you're gonna be sitting at least 10 feet away. But when using an 8K display at 65" I think you're down to like 135ppi. Again, great for TV distance but up close, quite chunky compared with the pixel density of any display Apple makes.
Dell’s 8k display was / is 32”, though it’s a dual-link solution.

Reactions: ignatius345

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
I'm ready to pull the trigger on Mac Mini M2 Pro, hopefully the fonts are looking okay ( I'll try with HDR on or off )
I don't care ar all about gaming.
Just curious how it looks ( fonts, especially) on 65 inches 8k,compared to 27 inches 5k iMac

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I'm ready to pull the trigger on Mac Mini M2 Pro, hopefully the fonts are looking okay ( I'll try with HDR on or off )
I don't care ar all about gaming.
Just curious how it looks ( fonts, especially) on 65 inches 8k,compared to 27 inches 5k iMac
Please let us know if it works and how it looks!

Reactions: dannyx

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I will, of course
I have a GPU, wanted to sell it, but I wonder if I could use it as eGPU with the Mac Mini M2 pro.
AMD Radeon RX6600XT
Any advantages over the integrated Mac Mini m2 pro gpu?

Sorry I don’t know if/what is usable on the Mac mini. Maybe others can chime in.

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
I ordered it, Monday or Tuesday should arrive
Hopefully I can read the small text 😁
I'll have to read about some Mac OS tips, I'm new to OSX

penfold1251

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
I will, of course
I have a GPU, wanted to sell it, but I wonder if I could use it as eGPU with the Mac Mini M2 pro.
AMD Radeon RX6600XT
I don't think eGPU is supported on Apple Silicon at all:
To use an eGPU, a Mac with an Intel processor is required.

In my experience the 8K60 connection is much more stable on the Mac Mini M2 Pro than it was with eGPU + DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

I'm still reasonably happy with my setup after using it heavily for several months even though that elusive M2 Studio has since showed up. 🥲

Arvine

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
I will, of course
AMD Radeon RX6600XT
We can't use eGPU with Apple Silicon, but the Mac mini og Macbook Pro with either M2 Pro or M2 Max support 8K. I tried it in February with my Samsung 8K 75" Q800 from 2020. It worked out of the box using Macbook Pro, with internal display active + 8K external through the new HDMI 2.1 connection. On a Mac mini m2 Pro you will only have a single display. There where a bit of chroma artifacts, I think I got 4:2:2 only. But black text of white background was good.

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
Where exactly can you see the Chrome artifacts?
Did you use the "PC" on the TV input?
Game mode and Input Signal Plus, enabled??

Last edited:

Arvine

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
Where exactly can you see the Chrome artifacts?
Did you use the "PC" on the TV input?
Game mode and Input Signal Plus, enabled??

For example a single vertical red line would be a bit washed with a red “shadow” on the side, just a little bit so I assumed it was 4:2:2, and not 4:2:0. For normal use it is ok.

I connected to the HDMI 4 input of the Samsung TV that supports 2.1. I tried with Game modus which helps so there is not much lag. Also with “input signal plus” on. Not sure if there is something called “PC” input on the Q800 2020 8K model, I guess it is the same as Game mode.

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
PC, as input option, should be on your model, as well
Have a look. There is Game Console, Receiver and 2, 3 more

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
For example a single vertical red line would be a bit washed with a red “shadow” on the side, just a little bit so I assumed it was 4:2:2, and not 4:2:0. For normal use it is ok.
4:2:0 would have the same problem as 4:2:2 with vertical coloured lines.
4:2:0 also has the problem with coloured lines that are horizontal.

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
There is no way to have 4:4:4 with Mac Mini m2 pro / 8k TV?
I'm a bit confused.

Arvine

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
PC, as input option, should be on your model, as well
Have a look. There is Game Console, Receiver and 2, 3 more
I don’t remember for sure, I would guess it was PC. I don’t have the MacBook now to test further. I would guess 4:4:4 is possible as I’ve not read that this is unsupported.

Arvine

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
4:2:0 would have the same problem as 4:2:2 with vertical coloured lines.
4:2:0 also has the problem with coloured lines that are horizontal.
Exactly that was why I assumed 4:2:2. Vertical colored single pixel lines was a bit washed, but not horizontal lines. It is hardly noticeable for the normal Mac user.

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
I just can't wait to have the Mac Mini m2 pro, tomorrow
There is a lot of stuff for me, to learn
Could you guys, please, recommend some " must have" for Mac OS?
Free or payware
Thank you in advance

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
Just received and updated the latest version of Mac OS Ventura
Didn't test it much. I'd like to know if it's possible to use the native 8k resolution, but with larger icons text.
Could you please help me?
Thank you

Arvine

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
In display settings, you can scale to many different resolutions, e.g. I often scale 8K down 4K or even 1080p while still preserving 8K native resolution for my simulation work. Many apps allow you to change font sizes, do Zoom in etc, e.g. Safari. More details here:

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
I tried with 4k but it looks a bit to large
With native 8k, it's too small 😁
Whatever it is, I'd like to keep the native resolution
What about the taskbar? Can I make it a bit larger, keeping the native resolution?
I don't have the " brightness" slider. Only for Macbooks, available?
I'm using Google Chrome, installed an add on for zoom, looks fine.
The most annoying part is the taskbar menu. Can't read it, way to small. As I said, I'm using a 65 inches TV,. the distance it's pretty big between me and this menu.
Do you guys think, Apple will improve all this, in the future?
I still have 12 days to send the product back but I don't want to make a mistake.
Gama and Vibrance options would be a nice think, as well
Maybe with some 3rd party apps?
Thank you very much for your reply

Arvine

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
I tried with 4k but it looks a bit to large
With native 8k, it's too small 😁
Whatever it is, I'd like to keep the native resolution
What about the taskbar? Can I make it a bit larger, keeping the native resolution?
I don't have the " brightness" slider. Only for Macbooks, available?
I'm using Google Chrome, installed an add on for zoom, looks fine.
The most annoying part is the taskbar menu. Can't read it, way to small. As I said, I'm using a 65 inches TV,. the distance it's pretty big between me and this menu.
Do you guys think, Apple will improve all this, in the future?
I still have 12 days to send the product back but I don't want to make a mistake.
Gama and Vibrance options would be a nice think, as well
Maybe with some 3rd party apps?
Thank you very much for your reply

If 4K size gives you too big fonts, and 8K too small fonts, you may consider e.g. something like 6K? Even if you choose 4K or something in between 4K/8K, the real resolution you send to the TV is still 8K. If you really like to send a 4K signal to the TV, you can option-click on the "Scaled" radio button in the Display prefs, then you get many more resolutions you can send to the TV/monitor. E.g. "4K low res" instead of just "4K" will send an action 4K signal to the TV. With SwitchResX or similar tools, it is easies to play with colours, HDR and different resolutions. But now we are a bit off topic, I understand you are able to get a 8K connection to the TV, thats great.

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
In case anyone is in the market (now that we know this works with M2 systems), this steal popped up on Ebay the other day:

I would buy it but am currently on M1 Max and not planning to upgrade until M3...

Reactions: MoonCakeTropics

dannyx

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
If 4K size gives you too big fonts, and 8K too small fonts, you may consider e.g. something like 6K? Even if you choose 4K or something in between 4K/8K, the real resolution you send to the TV is still 8K. If you really like to send a 4K signal to the TV, you can option-click on the "Scaled" radio button in the Display prefs, then you get many more resolutions you can send to the TV/monitor. E.g. "4K low res" instead of just "4K" will send an action 4K signal to the TV. With SwitchResX or similar tools, it is easies to play with colours, HDR and different resolutions. But now we are a bit off topic, I understand you are able to get a 8K connection to the TV, thats great.
Thank you
Does the SwitchResX has options for colors, brightness, gama?
I'll have to try it later when I get home
So, if I select 6k, does the display still show 8k,but with larger fonts / icons?
I repeat the question above : do you think, Apple will improve all those options, in the future ( for 8k displays )?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
So, if I select 6k, does the display still show 8k,but with larger fonts / icons?
The text will appear larger than when you select 8K.

A 6K HiDPI mode draws to a 12K framebuffer which would be scaled down to 8K. If the framebuffer is only 6K, then you'll loose some of the benefit of 8K.
When you choose 6K, verify that it says "Resolution 12032x6768 Looks Like 6016x3384". Also verify the timing in SwitchResX to make sure it says active pixels 7680x4320.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Apologies if it’s been covered, but is 8K / 4Kx2 hidpi solved with any MPX cards, especially for the w5700x?

it does not come up as an option for me but I have not really tried messing with things to see if it would work. Perhaps others have.

Reactions: mattspace
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.