Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I didn't want this to happen but somehow I was expecting it.
And it's just Day 1.

It's not enough that it's the best headset on the market in terms of software and hardware; it still has many of the problems that similar devices have.

Note that we're talking about a device that starts at $3800. When the honeymoon period is over, returns are going to be massive.

I didn't really expect so many disappointed people on Day 1:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

EDIT AFTER DAY 3:

Vision Pro SubReddit is starting to be filled with these kind of posts now

We, the people that had experience with VR headsets in the past, warned them that this would be the case. That the novelty would wear off and they would feel relieved. This time is even worse because it’s not a 300-500$ device but a 4000$ one.
gI97fBe.jpeg

De2iKzu.jpeg

aNLHCAJ.jpeg

The AVP it’s an amazing piece of tech but it’s not worth all the hassle and the price for 99% of people.

I only see 3 types of users that might take advantage of the AVP:

-the business man/youtuber with confidential information that is always traveling by plane/train and needs to work on the plane without nobody seeing his work

-a person that travels a lot by plane/train and wants to be entertained

-A person that is always traveling around the world and wants to have his setup wherever he goes

Pretty specific use cases in my opinion and the reason this product will fail in its current state

TL;DR: buyers remorse intensifying

Last edited:

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
The interface is ducking awful. I updated to the newest version but the number of times it does something I didn’t want it to do and I have to spend so much time undoing it is getting unbearable. I was so excited but I keep yelling at it that want what I was trying to ducking do!
edit. Making a genius bar appointment now so they can show me if I just set it up wrong or it just needs to be returned.

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
The interface is ducking awful. I updated to the newest version but the number of times it does something I didn’t want it to do and I have to spend so much time undoing it is getting unbearable. I was so excited but I keep yelling at it that want what I was trying to ducking do!
You mean something like it taps somewhere you didn’t want to?

Are you making sure the moment you tap your fingers you’re still looking at that you wanted to press?

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i’d imagne commentary is differnet for people who have used VR before and people who haven’t. That’s why Apple was preaching to go check it out before dropping money on the headset. VR technology is nowhere near like normal eye sight resolution and frame so i feel like newbies to VR will most likely be disappointed

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
The higher the price of the product, the more critical the reviews (and rightly so). The biggest issue I see so far is that most everyone seems to agree that the pass-through is dimmer and more grainy than expected, but that was clearly evident even in the review videos by The Verge, MKBHD, and iJustine.

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
i’d imagne commentary is differnet for people who have used VR before and people who haven’t. That’s why Apple was preaching to go check it out before dropping money on the headset. VR technology is nowhere near like normal eye sight resolution and frame so i feel like newbies to VR will most likely be disappointed
I have been using VR since the Occulus 1. I love VR. This interface sux.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I didn't want this to happen but somehow I was expecting it.
And it's just Day 1.

It's not enough that it's the best headset on the market in terms of software and hardware; it still has many of the problems that similar devices have.

Note that we're talking about a device that starts at $3800. When the honeymoon period is over, returns are going to be massive.

I didn't really expect so many disappointed people on Day 1:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VisionPro/comments/1ah5mz7

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png
Duh. Imagine that: 20,000 AVPs sold and some report disappointed. Who would have thunk? Let's post a troll.

And by definition some are not disappointed. So?

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
safari does not do immersive video, I have bad lens glare, lack of dedicated controllers ruins gaming potential
Is the no immersive videos confirmed or have people just not found a way to it because there is no support?

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
The interface is fine. It takes some time getting used to looking at something and pressing the fingers in that order, I think people are too used to how fast it is to point and click then look away, so the tapping sometimes misses.

What really amazes is how sharp and detailed the resolution is. Playing 3D videos, 360 videos and viewing panoramas like you’re really there really stand out to me from an experience point of view.

Maybe people are not using it for those use cases?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The interface is fine. It takes some time getting used to looking at something and pressing the fingers in that order, I think people are too used to how fast it is to point and click then look away, so the tapping sometimes misses.

What really amazes is how sharp and detailed the resolution is. Playing 3D videos, 360 videos and viewing panoramas like you’re really there really stand out to me from an experience point of view.

Maybe people are not using it for those use cases?

Sounds wildly less efficient than normal/other computing devices for anything besides viewing content.

Why is this "the future" again?
I'm confused.

This appears to be little more than a really high resolution, really expensive, content viewer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.