Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Some of my issue is most likely that I have some mild movement disorders, which are mostly controlled with medication but I can be twitchy, including my eyes. Might also explain why the vision ID kept failing.

edit, the Optic ID worked after the upgrade I did earlier.

Last edited:

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm not entirely sure I would agree with the "it's a first generation product" argument. Apple have had this thing in development for years, and have probably expended hundreds of thousands of man hours working on how the home screen should best be presented. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if it took them 6 months to reach a decision on the order that the apps on that homescreen are presented in.

Compared to the Apple Watch? I don't know how long that took to make, but it's definitely a first generation product to me. The number of years in development are irrelevant. It's Apple's market to lose if they can't capture it.

The Home Screen thing is honestly not as important to me as the ability to work without controllers. The refinement there is really good, although I think it still needs some work. The rest is just something that can evolve over time and isn't hard to solve IMO.

None of the functionality that we are looking for here is anything new at all - they've had it on iOS for a very, very long time. They have clearly done some exceptional work on many aspects of this device, and launching it with the ability to edit your own homescreen would not exactly be rocket science in comparison.

Yes I agree, I believe it should be available soon. I wouldn't worry about it. If it isn't, that's Apple's problem, just don't buy it. Definitely return it now if it's a deal breaker for you (if you bought it).

Certainly in this specific area, I would have expected a lot better from Apple, and would hope that version 2.0 is coming along sooner rather than later.

Is it a go/no go decision for me as to whether or not to purchase though? Absolutely not.

Yes I think this is the right approach. Definitely take your time and watch how it evolves. No need to rush into it. I would not buy it now if I wasn't willing to live with the growing pains involved.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
I need to stay away from all the AVP forum posts for a few days. Everyone who has been hating on them is now going to start a thread. "No controllers, bad for gaming" yeah that's not a surprise to anyone but go off.

Reactions: dannynjoni

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Yes I think this is the right approach. Definitely take your time and watch how it evolves. No need to rush into it. I would not buy it now if I wasn't willing to live with the growing pains involved.
The only thing that has prevented me from buying on so far is that I don't live in the US. Hopefully there will still be availability in-store when I visit towards the end of this month, because no way am I not going to be an early adopter of this :)

Reactions: masotime

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
I need to stay away from all the AVP forum posts for a few days. Everyone who has been hating on them is now going to start a thread. "No controllers, bad for gaming" yeah that's not a surprise to anyone but go off.
Except you can connect game controllers via bluetooth.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
The interface is fine. It takes some time getting used to looking at something and pressing the fingers in that order, I think people are too used to how fast it is to point and click then look away, so the tapping sometimes misses.

What really amazes is how sharp and detailed the resolution is. Playing 3D videos, 360 videos and viewing panoramas like you’re really there really stand out to me from an experience point of view.

Maybe people are not using it for those use cases?
couldn’t agree more…my 6 year old picked up the gestures quick…lol

mlenger

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Southern California
Spent now 4 hours with it - love this unit! What a game changer. Put 10+ screens around the house in different rooms. leave the room and when you come back there still there. Wife has issues with the weight on her cheekbones but it was fittet for me, so maybe that’s the problem. This thing rocks. Steve would have been proud.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Spent now 4 hours with it - love this unit! What a game changer. Put 10+ screens around the house in different rooms. leave the room and when you come back there still there. Wife has issues with the weight on her cheekbones but it was fittet for me, so maybe that’s the problem. This thing rocks. Steve would have been proud.
And what's the point exactly to place screens in rooms that you won't see until you return to the room?

Still waiting to be convinced that I need this novelty toy and not seeing a real reason yet from any of the owner comments. Will stay out this cycle and save myself the buyer's remorse.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
And what's the point exactly to place screens in rooms that you won't see until you return to the room?
I can't speak for the poster who you asked, but I could leave a movie on pause in the living room, go to the kitchen where I have a couple timers going over what I'm cooking, plus a page with a recipe left open there, a spreadsheet or presentation that I'm working on at my desk, where it won't bug me while I'm cooking and watching a movie...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
And many of us had realistic expectations and are satisfied with our purchases. At $3,500 plus tax and another $149 for the half of us who use glasses, this is a luxury item. A nice to have, not a need to have. But in a few years this will be much more affordable.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Apple’s stock is not down because of Vision Pro. Their earnings were released and the sale numbers in China are declining. As far as revenue goes, all things strong.

They also ended up down .5%, which is a nothing burger especially after earnings. Sometimes easier to just ignore the people who sign up on launch days.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I can't speak for the poster who you asked, but I could leave a movie on pause in the living room, go to the kitchen where I have a couple timers going over what I'm cooking, plus a page with a recipe left open there, a spreadsheet or presentation that I'm working on at my desk, where it won't bug me while I'm cooking and watching a movie...
So basically, what I can already do now without strapping the weight of an iPad Pro to my face...

Presently, I can pause a movie on the big screen in the living room, walk to the kitchen with Alexa managing timers, view that recipe on my phone or iPad, and return to my desk with the spreadsheet on my MacBook and external monitor.

Don't get me wrong, I love tech and utilize smart locks, smart plugs, and home automation, but the Vision Pro is such an unnecessary spend.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
There is no useful purpose -- it's just novelty time right now for the first few days and weeks

Wrong.

Stocks and news app by my lounge/reading chair is great.

Mac screen and messages at my desk.

I put the calendar on the fridge to force me to check it when I get snacks.

I'm going to find a weather app and put it next to my windows for when I go up to get some water. I always ask Siri when I do this, will be nice to just see a big temp next to the window.

This is far from a final layout, but I already find it useful. Wish I could get multiple instances of it. So i Can have calendar in a few physical spots. 1.0

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Wrong.

I'm going to find a weather app and put it next to my windows for when I go up to get some water. I always ask Siri when I do this, will be nice to just see a big temp next to the window.

This is far from a final layout, but I already find it useful. Wish I could get multiple instances of it. So i Can have calendar in a few physical spots. 1.0
$3500 for some calendars and a thermometer. And only for a few hours before you need to recharge the battery. You've sold me on it!

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Still waiting to be convinced that I need this novelty toy and not seeing a real reason yet from any of the owner comments. Will stay out this cycle and save myself the buyer's remorse.

I would actually agree here that the vast majority of people should not buy it, not unless they're willing to live with a device with a very nacent ecosystem of use cases.

the Vision Pro is such an unnecessary spend.

But here is where it gets a little annoying. No one is trying to convince you to get it, indeed I think most people are just happy to share their excitement with something really new / different from Apple. I don't really get the need to pour negativity on people who want to spend their own money on new things. It doesn't affect others in any way, let people enjoy what they buy.

Asking questions to determine if it's useful for you? That's fine.
Trying to question everyone else's use case and mock them? That's not great.

Leave it be, it's just unnecessarily toxic for the community to have that kind of perspective.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
So basically, what I can already do now without strapping the weight of an iPad Pro to my face...

Presently, I can pause a movie on the big screen in the living room, walk to the kitchen with Alexa managing timers, view that recipe on my phone or iPad, and return to my desk with the spreadsheet on my MacBook and external monitor.

Don't get me wrong, I love tech and utilize smart locks, smart plugs, and home automation, but the Vision Pro is such an unnecessary spend.
Unnecessary, probably. Also some of the coolest tech I have seen in a long long time. Don't buy it, no one needs to convince you, and the version 2 and 3 of this are going to be massively improved. But at least go demo it in the store, just for fun.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I would actually agree here that the vast majority of people should not buy it, not unless they're willing to live with a device with a very nacent ecosystem of use cases.

But here is where it gets a little annoying. No one is trying to convince you to get it, indeed I think most people are just happy to share their excitement with something really new / different from Apple. I don't really get the need to pour negativity on people who want to spend their own money on new things. It doesn't affect others in any way, let people enjoy what they buy.

Asking questions to determine if it's useful for you? That's fine.
Trying to question everyone else's use case and mock them? That's not great.

Leave it be, it's just unnecessarily toxic for the community to have that kind of perspective.
I do apologize for raining on the parade of others. I hear what you're saying and also subscribe to live and let live. I am guilty of some hypocrisy here.

I really am trying to glean some useful insight from owners yet even the ones that try to talk up the Vision Pro are doing a poor job of selling the device. But you're right, to each their own. 👍

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Wrong.

This is definitely the future. We’ll take this setup for granted in 10 years. Maybe sooner. As the form factor continues to improve, we're going to have augmented screens all over our lives. Just wait til targeted advertising gets their hands on it 🤦‍♂️

tekipaki

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
I’ve thought of some app ideas that could possibility utilize the strengths of AVP. Stuff like music learning, if it could track your fingers well enough. Might be a game changer for learning piano and some other instruments. Also language learning with Spatial Audio and VR/AR conversation partners, possibility powered by LLMs. Not sure if these are technically possible with the onboard tech… yet.

But the current appeal of using it to watch movies or place screens around the house displaying weather, spreadsheets, etc. I just don’t see why anyone needs any of this aside from the short lived novelty factors. This is really going to hinge on whether devs can come up with compelling apps or not. Apple should absolutely be bending over backwards to motivate and compensate their devs, because they need them here more than ever.

And even if there are some good apps, $3500 (or anything in that neighborhood) is a really really hard sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.