Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I recommend going for a demo if you’re near an Apple Store - I think that’s probably the best way to make a more informed decision.

Depending on your use case - maybe bring your MacBook too if you’re thinking of projecting your screen on the AVP… I’m not too sure if it’s ready for prime time honestly.

I think the “wow” factor of the movies and 3D stuff is strong, and it’s great to see panoramas as you took them, but a lot of this is just indulgence / entertainment, the “pro” factor - admittedly I’m not really seeing it yet. The app ecosystem is really very young and the ”pinch” interface - well I know you can link a keyboard, but yeah this needs more investigation to prove its worth.

MKBHD posited a nice use case of editing videos on a plane by linking to a MacBook Pro - this could work - but yeah you’d need to be travelling a lot to make it worthwhile for that specific use case.

The traveling stuff can make sense. Nope I don’t travel enough for that to make sense though.

I go back to is it the ultimate iPad? Can it be an even better complimentary device than the iPad. And finally is it worth the cost of buying two high end iPad pros.

I’m not asking can it replace my Mac or laptop. It just leads to an obvious answer and we’ve seen countless iPad threads always asking this. Nope. And no. But I won’t dismiss spatial computing out of hand. A mix of Mac and iPad apps could work.

What I don’t like is that it can’t do what a quest can do. Hook into pc. Lacks YouTube support. (As well as Google apps). And that is huge.

I think it could be. Needs better Mac integration. Needs better app support. Needs much more content. But that isn’t the case…right now. And you shouldn’t buy something hoping things can change later. Just wait til later. You have to base your purchase on what it does right now. Because this value will plummet. Hardware improves. Why buy ver one while waiting for content or things to get better while it depreciates over 2k. Get ver 2 instead.

My solution would be to get a quest which offers a lot of what the avp does and things it doesn’t. At 1/7 the cost.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Just my opinion but the wow factory is coming through in the quality of the screens you can produce. It's incredibly high, clear, and you can make them as big as a movie screen if you wanted to and place it wherever you want your field of vision. You can then black out your surroundings and make it almost like a movie screen. All of this on just simple YouTube videos. Sure you have your tv screen at home, but the flexibility in pulling up and adjusting all of this content and resizing it to massive screens right in your office is super impressive.

And then there are the videos like the Alycia keys demo that literally makes it feel like she is singing to you. The immersion is so strong you feel like you are sitting right there in the recording room and your brain can't understand why the smell isn't there with the sights. It really feels like you are reliving an experience and I can see this being used so well for live concerts and shows. This is something you just can't replicate with normal screens.

I’m with you. The Alicia keys is an example of the format of content you really want to see on this. There’s just not enough of it. I can’t see Apple cranking it out. Is that solution YouTube? Heck double the price of atv+ for vision users and get going with it.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Um Youtube app is a blight for me. I PURPOSEFULLY dont have it on my iPhone or iPad.

It works just fine in the browser, in fact, for me, better in the browser than their virus ware lame apps wrapping a browser within.

Same with Netflix.

Non issue unless you download their content for travel or something. Browser is better for those services IMO.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: klasma and cardfan

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
A tiny sliver of people? It's all over the internet, Vision Pro has flopped.
Also Apple's stocks are already down -8.14 (-4.20%) and it will keep diving steeply.
Keep diving? You’re not psychic and the AVP I double you can find 4000 different users who are complaining on the internet.

Reactions: SuperCachetes

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

Even YouTubers struggle to find a single use case for Vision Pro.
And even if someone finds one, there is not enough battery life.

How is the Apple Vision Pro so amazing on flights which some YouTuber say they are when it doesn't have noise cancelling headphones build into it?

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
So it sounds like the knit band is for the most part unwearable for extended periods of time and that the dual loop is the only way its tolerable.

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
So it sounds like the knit band is for the most part unwearable for extended periods of time and that the dual loop is the only way its tolerable.
Yes. Knit band is only for marketing

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015

The solo band is however easier to take on and off, easier to adjust with the side dial and is one less band on your head.

There are pros and cons to both.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
The solo band is however easier to take on and off, easier to adjust with the side dial and is one less band on your head.

There are pros and cons to both.
Methinks you need to apply some weightings (sorry, unintended pun) to your pros and cons on this matter.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
The bands are fine. I think what most people are not realizing is that they are open for third party customization. Even if Apple could not get it right, the door is open for third parties to make custom headbands. This is a good thing moving forward.

I do think the solo band is a little overrated for long term use, but it does have a use case - if you’re sleeping or otherwise lying back, the band can be used for long periods. It’s just not so good when you need a tight seal when standing up, since it has to fight the force of gravity perpendicular to the direction of gravity since it’s across your head (unlike the dual band which has one band that is in the same direction as gravity).

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
The bands are fine. I think what most people are not realizing is that they are open for third party customization. Even if Apple could not get it right, the door is open for third parties to make custom headbands. This is a good thing moving forward.

I do think the solo band is a little overrated for long term use, but it does have a use case - if you’re sleeping or otherwise lying back, the band can be used for long periods. It’s just not so good when you need a tight seal when standing up, since it has to fight the force of gravity perpendicular to the direction of gravity since it’s across your head (unlike the dual band which has one band that is in the same direction as gravity).
"if you're sleeping..."

• Haha
Reactions: MagicTorch

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I think browser
and app usage experience and preference are different for everybody. You love and are happy with browser experience while I have happiness on using app directly. Keep calm and be happy with your preference. 😊 life is too short to be unhappy on anything. 😊 it is a good thing we have all options that we like better👏
Um Youtube app is a blight for me. I PURPOSEFULLY dont have it on my iPhone or iPad.

It works just fine in the browser, in fact, for me, better in the browser than their virus ware lame apps wrapping a browser within.

Same with Netflix.

Non issue unless you download their content for travel or something. Browser is better for those services IMO.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Summary of this thread so far: a lot of non-owners are really disappointed they cant make owners feel more disappointed, and think, you should really really be disappointed, and now are annoyed, you're not as disappointed as they want you be.
It is our human nature to be envious on others that have while not having ones. Everyone living in this world is experiencing this on some degree. Be understanding and keep cool on this situation. The key for us is to keep calm and be happy with others’ enjoyment and be happy😊 Life is too short to be unhappy on anything. 😊

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Such negativity! What happens whenever the novelty wears out with anything? Something new will come out!
That's so true, Apple should really lead with that in their marketing: "First of all, if you get bored with it, don’t worry, we'll release some other new device soon enough!" That would convince people that the AVP is indeed worth its price.

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I think browser
and app usage experience and preference are different for everybody. You love and are happy with browser experience while I have happiness on using app directly. Keep calm and be happy with your preference. 😊 life is too short to be unhappy on anything. 😊 it is a good thing we have all options that we like better👏
I think you’re right. Most things are personal preferences with regard to how you consume media and if anything this is even more personal. That said, for now having at least browser access to this service is better than nothing. Someone somewhere once said something about “it can always be worse“.

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
It is our human nature to be envious on others that have while not having ones. Everyone living in this world is experiencing this on some degree. Be understanding and keep cool on this situation. The key for us is to keep calm and be happy with others’ enjoyment and be happy😊 Life is too short to be unhappy on anything. 😊
He is wrong.

I would be so happy if the AVP lived to the expectactions Apple created with their marketing material, but sadly it doesn't. They haven't done any magic to remove some pain points like the weight, glare, fov, smearing, motion blur, passthrough...

Is it the best? Yes, is it enough? No

Right now we're seeing a lot of people trying a VR headset for the first time and saying it's amazing, and us with experience in VR headsets we already know how it is, we know what it will happen after the first WOW.

The problem this time is that it costs 4000$

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Is it the best? Yes, is it enough? No

Right now we're seeing a lot of people trying a VR headset for the first time and saying it's amazing, and us with experience in VR headsets we already know how it is, we know what it will happen after the first WOW.

The problem this time is that it costs 4000$
It doesn’t cost anything if you don’t buy it. You can also return it.

I really don’t understand the continued hate here - if you don’t want to buy it, just don’t. Why do you care about people who do? If they don’t like it, they can return it too.

People are weird… they actually enjoy being toxic.

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
image.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.