Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Sounds wildly less efficient than normal/other computing devices for anything besides viewing content.

Why is this "the future" again?
I'm confused.

I don't know about the spatial "computing" part much. That remains to be seen since it really needs a more diverse ecosystem to really determine if it will succeed.

I only know what I like. And I like it.

This appears to be little more than a really high resolution, really expensive, content viewer.

You say this like it's a bad thing. I disagree - I don't see any other way / device that is able to view content the way it does right now. I've used two other VR headsets - the Oculus Go and the HTC Vive Focus 3 - the AVP is easily leagues ahead of either.

Sure, it's not for everyone, I think the price tag makes that obvious, but your dismissive generalization is not very helpful.

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
The interface is fine. It takes some time getting used to looking at something and pressing the fingers in that order, I think people are too used to how fast it is to point and click then look away, so the tapping sometimes misses.

What really amazes is how sharp and detailed the resolution is. Playing 3D videos, 360 videos and viewing panoramas like you’re really there really stand out to me from an experience point of view.

Maybe people are not using it for those use cases?
From where are you watching 360 videos?

The ones available on the Quest 3 really suck due to bad resolution and bitrate

M3Jedi77

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I was super pumped for the Vision Pro. Been waiting years for this thing to come out, and have had all the Quests until now.

Wore it for the last 90 minutes, and am well fatigued. I'm a massive Apple fanboy, but not so invested in 'being right' like most here seem to be that I'd lie about the product. IMO the people claiming to be blown away are in 2 camps: they haven't used it for more than 20 mins in a row (the first 20 mins is pretty damn exciting), or they're lying.

Issues in this order and why I'll be returning mine:

• Comfort. Weight isnt an issue, it's balance. It could be 3x as heavy. The issue is the strap does not allow the headset to articulate to fit your face. This is a massive oversight. Even worse, all the weight sits on your cheeks/forehead. It needs a serious counterweight. Velcroing the battery to the back of the dual strap (forget even trying that ridiculous mono strap) helps a bit.
  • Navigation. Pinching is really neat, but not perfect. The fact that other gestures aren't yet out (they will be eventually), really sucks. You should be able to open your hand and pull up the app menu, close it to close a window, etc etc.
  • Apps. Theres nothing yet. That's understandable. Whats not ok is the fact that the App Menu is fixed. You can not delete, move, or change your Home Screen apps. HOW did this OS get to market while forgetting this key feature? What a joke.
  • Movies are cool, but visually much more fatiguing than a TV.
  • 3D is not as 'whoa now THATS how 3D is supposed to look' as I was expecting based on reviews. 3D is still annoying.

Here is an image of a headset that can be worn for 4+ hours EASILY without fatigue. Vision Pro cant even do 1 hour.

WebP Image copy.jpg

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
From where are you watching 360 videos?

The ones available on the Quest 3 really suck due to bad resolution and bitrate

My own. I own a GoPro MAX and record snowboarding videos amongst other things.

It’s really nice to relive memories - but TBH the resolution of the AVP exceeds that of the GoPro MAX, so it’s not really different from, say, the HTC Vive Focus 3.

AVP is a little ahead of the current crop of 360 cameras, you’ll probably need 8K for that purpose.

Re: Better 360 video content, YouTube actually has a lot, but any 360 MP4 will do. The big problem is that AVP doesn’t have an easy way to transfer large MP4 files - AirDrop is literally the only way, which is super annoying.

I’m willing to deal with this since I enjoy the product, but for regular consumers I’d recommend sticking with e.g. The 3D content on Disney+ - watched a bunch of 3D Pixar movies like Inside Out and Incredibles 2 and I liked it! 3D content makes a lot of sense with the AVP - not so much on the previous 3D TVs and weird glasses you have to wear 😂

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Comfort. Weight isnt an issue, it's balance. It could be 3x as heavy. The issue is the strap does not allow the headset to articulate to fit your face. This is a massive oversight. Even worse, all the weight sits on your cheeks/forehead. It needs a serious counterweight. Velcroing the battery to the back of the dual strap (forget even trying that ridiculous mono strap) helps a bit.
Hmmm… it’s not more fatiguing than either the Oculus Go or HTC Vive Focus 3 for me.

• Navigation. Pinching is really neat, but not perfect. The fact that other gestures aren't yet out (they will be eventually), really sucks. You should be able to open your hand and pull up the app menu, close it to close a window, etc etc.

Yes this needs a bit of work. I don’t consider this a show stopper though - no other interface without a controller does better than the AVP so far, and I’m not fond of controllers.
  • Apps. Theres nothing yet. That's understandable. Whats not ok is the fact that the App Menu is fixed. You can not delete, move, or change your Home Screen apps. HOW did this OS get to market while forgetting this key feature? What a joke.

I don’t consider this an issue. Why do you need to change Home Screen apps? The selection is pretty limited now anyway, but I agree this will be an issue later once the ecosystem grows, I’m sure the OS will eventually evolve.

• Movies are cool, but visually much more fatiguing than a TV.

Hmmm, I don’t feel that way. But I think it’s important to leverage the strengths of the AVP, like 3D movies and panoramas. Regular movies you can probably just use a regular TV, I agree, but you’re not going to be able to do that on e.g. a plane, which is a major use case for me.

• 3D is not as 'whoa now THATS how 3D is supposed to look' as I was expecting based on reviews. 3D is still annoying.
? ok I have to agree to disagree here, it looks amazing to me but alright.

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
My own. I own a GoPro MAX and record snowboarding videos amongst other things.

It’s really nice to relive memories - but TBH the resolution of the AVP exceeds that of the GoPro MAX, so it’s not really different from, say, the HTC Vive Focus 3.

AVP is a little ahead of the current crop of 360 cameras, you’ll probably need 8K for that purpose.

Re: Better 360 video content, YouTube actually has a lot, but any 360 MP4 will do. The big problem is that AVP doesn’t have an easy way to transfer large MP4 files - AirDrop is literally the only way, which is super annoying.

I’m willing to deal with this since I enjoy the product, but for regular consumers I’d recommend sticking with e.g. The 3D content on Disney+ - watched a bunch of 3D Pixar movies like Inside Out and Incredibles 2 and I liked it! 3D content makes a lot of sense with the AVP - not so much on the previous 3D TVs and weird glasses you have to wear 😂
What app are you using to view them? Safari shows windowed content and none of the apps I tried played the videos I downloaded.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
What app are you using to view them? Safari shows windowed content and none of the apps I tried played the videos I downloaded.
Ah good question, I found a paid one on the App Store let me find it....

It allows you to pick from Files or Album. One annoying thing about airdropping MP4s is that it goes to Album by default, but once you pick one it makes a copy into the app itself so you can delete from the Album later.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
If you are having issues you may need to exchange the unit or get help with the proper fit. Reviews on YT said the Apple Store App fitting was hilariously bad and wrong. I think going to the Apple Store and getting fitted properly in real life is best. That will make a world of difference.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Ah good question, I found a paid one on the App Store let me find it....

It allows you to pick from Files or Album. One annoying thing about airdropping MP4s is that it goes to Album by default, but once you pick one it makes a copy into the app itself so you can delete from the Album later.
Good news, it plays the file in full immersion. Bad news, can’t seem to find controls to fast forward or rewind. Am I missing them or is it just beta?

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
„find your app“. Does one have to say more?

That takes like 5 seconds. How often do you need to find an app? Your time should be spent in the app, not finding it.

I don't disagree it could be better, but it's such a small amount of time compared to the time spent experiencing the app that it's just a bit weird for that to be a reason to return it?

Reactions: Halmahc

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
That's... not an answer. I mean, just scroll left/right and find your app. How hard is that?
Do you not have your most commonly used iPhone apps locked in the tray (or whatever it's called) at the bottom of the screen, and then the next most commonly used apps on the homepage? Do you not organise the apps to your liking at all?

/edit - Obviously I would agree with your comment immediately above this post that not being able to organise apps right now would be an odd reason to return the thing.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The interface is fine. It takes some time getting used to looking at something and pressing the fingers in that order, I think people are too used to how fast it is to point and click then look away, so the tapping sometimes misses.

What really amazes is how sharp and detailed the resolution is. Playing 3D videos, 360 videos and viewing panoramas like you’re really there really stand out to me from an experience point of view.

Maybe people are not using it for those use cases?
They are probably not fitted for the device properly. If light is seeping in or the fit is even slightly off kilter itll degrade the experience significantly.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
For some context, I believe this is the app layout that cannot be changed, is that correct?

apps_selection__d5oucgbrc5me_large_2x.jpg

There are at least 5 apps there that I would never use. 7 if the Google suite of apps (including GMail, Chrome, Keep) become available natively (or if the iPad apps work, I've not checked if they are available).

I'd kinda like to have the option to put apps on that screen that actually have some utility for me.

IF Apple keep this locked down, and the Vision Pro is not fully supported by the likes of Google, ironically it could actually be the thing that drives me to fully adopt the Apple ecosystem. But I'd prefer that not to be forced onto me.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Do you not have your most commonly used iPhone apps locked in the tray (or whatever it's called) at the bottom of the screen, and then the next most commonly used apps on the homepage? Do you not organise the apps to your liking at all?
Hmmm... this is a good question.

I actually don't for most apps - what I do is that I always drag down to see spotlight and type the first few letters of my app. If I'm going to make a phone call or send a message yes, but at the moment there's no app that has a specific use case on the AVP that makes me annoyed at it. I'm still exploring it.

I would like spotlight for the AVP though - it is a strange omission, but I assume visionOS will continue to evolve.

This is a first generation product. Like if people remember the first Apple Watch, it was difficult to use the app Home Screen with the odd zoom/in out functionality. Even Samsung did it better, but Apple eventually figured it out.

I understand the frustration, but I do think people need to have proper expectations if they're going to buy the AVP. Even for my friends and family, I'm going to tell them to wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation. But for me, I'm totally fine with being a pioneer user for the AVP.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
There are at least 5 apps there that I would never use. 7 if the Google suite of apps (including GMail, Chrome, Keep) become available natively (or if the iPad apps work, I've not checked if they are available).
Yes I agree with your POV, but at the moment these are not reasons enough to return it IMO. If it continues in this state then sure, but give it some time.

However if you are waiting to buy it, then don't. Again as I mentioned above, unless you're willing to deal with the initial pains of a first generation product, wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation. This kind of stuff takes time to really refine.

I've used other VR headsets, finding an app there is not easier than the current AVP experience, but I could be wrong. It just never bothered me that much.

I'm not here to advocate that everyone should buy the AVP because it's so amazing. I personally think it is, but I can see how it would not be for a lot of people. I'm already surprised so many people bought it, returns are inevitable, it's just the reasons are pretty weird - but perhaps people might not have the proper mindset of an early adopter when they bought it.

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Wore it for the last 90 minutes, and am well fatigued. I'm a massive Apple fanboy, but not so invested in 'being right' like most here seem to be that I'd lie about the product. IMO the people claiming to be blown away are in 2 camps: they haven't used it for more than 20 mins in a row (the first 20 mins is pretty damn exciting), or they're lying.

Nah. I've had mine on for the better part of the day. In the morning, I used the knit band. I agree that it feels heavier on the face. In the afternoon, I switched to the dual loop. Once I had that adjusted to be more on the forehead than the cheeks (tighter back strap), I had no comfort issues at all and wore it for hours.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Hmmm... this is a good question.

I actually don't for most apps - what I do is that I always drag down to see spotlight and type the first few letters of my app.
Interesting.

I actually go so far as to have my next most commonly used apps (those not in the tray) in the lower portion of the first page so that they are simple to reach with my thumb. Horses for courses I suppose!

I'm not entirely sure I would agree with the "it's a first generation product" argument. Apple have had this thing in development for years, and have probably expended hundreds of thousands of man hours working on how the home screen should best be presented. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if it took them 6 months to reach a decision on the order that the apps on that homescreen are presented in.

None of the functionality that we are looking for here is anything new at all - they've had it on iOS for a very, very long time. They have clearly done some exceptional work on many aspects of this device, and launching it with the ability to edit your own homescreen would not exactly be rocket science in comparison.

Certainly in this specific area, I would have expected a lot better from Apple, and would hope that version 2.0 is coming along sooner rather than later.

Is it a go/no go decision for me as to whether or not to purchase though? Absolutely not.

/edit
I got the Viture glasses this week. Even with their very basic UI, you can easily place your favourite apps on the homescreen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.