Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
At the end of the day, if it was truly comfortable to wear most of the other issues that seem to be subjective to different experiences wouldn’t be as big of a deal. It does a lot right and I wanted to want it. I was already convinced and I own a PSVR2. But the light seal is not a good design. I don’t find it heavy, I just find it impossible to find a good seal while also maintaining comfort. Not sure why the seal needs to be so rigid. There’s nothing conforming about it.
Did you try the thicker seal which is more comfortable and use the head strap that came in the box.

hface119

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Did you try the thicker seal which is more comfortable and use the head strap that came in the box.

They wouldn’t let me try the dual loop, just the single band during the demo. I’m willing to try the other strap in a month or so when I can walk in and make sure I get the right one before I leave with the Vision Pro in my hands.

The seal I started with was a 22 or 23W and they changed me to a 21W. The 21W felt worse but had better light blockage. Both were not bearable for more than ten minutes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
They wouldn’t let me try the dual loop, just the single band during the demo. I’m willing to try the other strap in a month or so when I can walk in and make sure I get the right one before I leave with the Vision Pro in my hands.

The seal I started with was a 22 or 23W and they changed me to a 21W. The 21W felt worse but had better light blockage. Both were not bearable for more than ten minutes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That odd they offered the duo loop head strap to me and I really like the fit better cause I have a huge head and was much more comfortable. Just go back and ask them. Insist on it.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Refusing to let you try the other strap seems strange. Guess they don’t want to sell it. Or it goes off script for the annoying Apple person.

vantelimus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
People who own it: Is this good as an entry-level computer? This device sounds ideal for me, but is the experience more iPad-like or more MacOS-like?
It is more like an iPad than MacOS. If you are looking for a computer in the classical sense to do development, pro content/media creation or editing, or business work flows, you want a Mac, not an iPad or Vision Pro.

Vision Pro will become a good consumer product within a couple of years with iterations on hardware and software. Right now it is for developers who want to create content for it, and early adopters who like and accept the Apple environment. If you are hooked into a Windows or Android world for your other devices, this is not a good choice now and may never be.

Reactions: its93rc and klasma

Polinsky

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2023
Refusing to let you try the other strap seems strange. Guess they don’t want to sell it. Or it goes off script for the annoying Apple person.
"They don't want to sell it"????? Are you serious???? "annoying Apple person"??? Are you kidding? The Apple people that helped me with fitment were so nice and helpful. Spent over an hour with me. Made good suggestions. Tried multiple bands, etc until we found a good combination. It's so sad to read your absurd conclusions.

• Haha
Reactions: AlastorKatriona

Polinsky

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2023
Of course people are disappointed. It is a $3500 device that disconnects you from real world.

Just how does it disconnect me?? Please be specific instead of speaking hysterically and absurdly. If I watch a movie, I choose to be as isolated as I can to really get into the movie. I darken the surroundings. For other apps, I remove the environment and I see my surroundings. I see my cat come up to me for a pet or cuddle. Just how am I disconnected?? Please tell me so I understand the problems I have that you see but I don't.

Some people even thinks it's safe to drive cars on autopilot while wearing one. It's not usable or practical.
It's not designed to be used in those situations. There will always be stupid people doing stupid things that can hurt someone else. Nothing new here. But to use that to bash the product is sick.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
You didnt want what to happen? A tiny sliver of people are not happy with a brand new product that has never existed before? What personal stake did you have in this product?
Tiny sliver? That's disingenuous. I've only seen a tiny sliver of people who are sold on the experience, and from what I can tell there is a lot of self-convincing going on there as well.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
TL;DR: buyers remorse intensifying
I mean, it's a $3,500+ product that is far, far from perfect in its current form. In my opinion it should never have been shipped and is years away from being an acceptable product at any price. So yeah, buyers remorse is going to be extreme and return rates are going to be the highest that modern Apple has ever experienced.

It's very hard to ship something with this many problems at such an extreme price point. I think Tim Cook's experience with steadily increasing prices while decreasing value led him to falsely believe he could get away with this move, despite all of the people inside Apple begging him not to.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
I mean, it's a $3,500+ product that is far, far from perfect in its current form. In my opinion it should never have been shipped and is years away from being an acceptable product at any price. So yeah, buyers remorse is going to be extreme and return rates are going to be the highest that modern Apple has ever experienced.

It's very hard to ship something with this many problems at such an extreme price point. I think Tim Cook's experience with steadily increasing prices while decreasing value led him to falsely believe he could get away with this move, despite all of the people inside Apple begging him not to.

Reddit is increasingly seeing posts that praise the device after several days of use.

It might not be perfect, and some may return it. But takes like this are too extreme.

hface119

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
"They don't want to sell it"????? Are you serious???? "annoying Apple person"??? Are you kidding? The Apple people that helped me with fitment were so nice and helpful. Spent over an hour with me. Made good suggestions. Tried multiple bands, etc until we found a good combination. It's so sad to read your absurd conclusions.

They have 30 minute appointments and if they're booked, I imagine they want to get the demo over with so the next person can come in. I was disappointed they didn't offer to let me try the dual loop when I brought up in the first 10 minutes that the current band wasn't working for me, and I was constantly trying to move it around my head/tighten to fix it. I didn't outright ask to try it, but again if you're trying to make sure it's a solid experience you would think they would jump at it. I'm not butthurt over it, I get it just launched, they're busy, logistics matter.

Reactions: cardfan and Ghost31

hface119

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Reddit is increasingly seeing posts that praise the device after several days of use.

It might not be perfect, and some may return it. But takes like this are too extreme.
Agree these takes are dumb. Anything like "it's not practical!!!" are also dumb.

There are a lot of legit issues with it, but that doesn't mean people won't find their use or some don't have those issues. It's going to be a very personal experience like every single VR headset has been.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Agree these takes are dumb. Anything like "it's not practical!!!" are also dumb.

There are a lot of legit issues with it, but that doesn't mean people won't find their use or some don't have those issues. It's going to be a very personal experience like every single VR headset has been.

I don’t know…

“return rates are going to be the highest that modern Apple has ever experienced.”

I am hard-pressed to think of any other Apple product that would come close to the likely return rates on this

You?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Apple people are not all created equal.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
So I did a thing. After learning more about the VP, picked one up last night. Messed around with it for a few hours and man, it's cool.

The sizing is important. For the demo I did, it came up with 25W. It felt heavy and I had difficulty selecting some things at the fringes. My home scans came up with 23W. And I heard many are posting you should go with a 21W no matter what it says.

When I went to pick it up, told the guy I wanted to try the 21. We tried the 23 first. It immediately felt better than my demo day. Tried the 21 and got the warning the screens were too close. The Apple guy and I didn't think to re-calibrate the screens which probably would have been a good idea. So walked out with the 23. So far, not disappointed.

One thing I did before deciding to buy this was look up the pricing for the Microsoft HoloLens. I tried them out a few years ago and remember them being VERY cool with lots of use cases. But expensive. Well.....version 2 of that product is $3500 LOL. And they can go up to above $4K. So there you are.

Overall experience has remained positive. One of my fond memories from being a kid was going to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum in D.C. and watching "To Fly". You could feel it. There's an IMAX app with a couple movies you can watch free. Pulled up the space one and noticed the reflection, oddness, whatever you want to call it that appeared. It bothered me and I'm thinking it was due to having the reader inserts. More to come on that.

I have seen the discoloration of text some have posted about. Seems to be mainly on text at the edge. Given my experiences over the last 40+ years, it's not enough to warrant returning the device.

More to come.

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
So I did a thing. After learning more about the VP, picked one up last night. Messed around with it for a few hours and man, it's cool.

The sizing is important. For the demo I did, it came up with 25W. It felt heavy and I had difficulty selecting some things at the fringes. My home scans came up with 23W. And I heard many are posting you should go with a 21W no matter what it says.

When I went to pick it up, told the guy I wanted to try the 21. We tried the 23 first. It immediately felt better than my demo day. Tried the 21 and got the warning the screens were too close. The Apple guy and I didn't think to re-calibrate the screens which probably would have been a good idea. So walked out with the 23. So far, not disappointed.

One thing I did before deciding to buy this was look up the pricing for the Microsoft HoloLens. I tried them out a few years ago and remember them being VERY cool with lots of use cases. But expensive. Well.....version 2 of that product is $3500 LOL. And they can go up to above $4K. So there you are.

Overall experience has remained positive. One of my fond memories from being a kid was going to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum in D.C. and watching "To Fly". You could feel it. There's an IMAX app with a couple movies you can watch free. Pulled up the space one and noticed the reflection, oddness, whatever you want to call it that appeared. It bothered me and I'm thinking it was due to having the reader inserts. More to come on that.

I have seen the discoloration of text some have posted about. Seems to be mainly on text at the edge. Given my experiences over the last 40+ years, it's not enough to warrant returning the device.

More to come.

That reflection is glare due to the pancake lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.