Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayschim

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
I was certain that I would return it. But after using it for over a week I've decided to keep it. It has flaws, but there is no doubt that spatial computing is going to be prominent in Apple's future plans. After testing the latest Vision OS betas things have improved. The one issue that still bothers me is the glare that comes from pancake lenses....but that's just the nature of that technology. If Apple pushes this platform forward, we could see something truly magical in the future.

jayschim

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
I bought it with the intent of keeping it unlike many in these forums. I have never used anything so intuitive and watching the immersive content and 3d movies is amazing. Watching Ted Lasso episodes in the cinema environment made me feel like I was in my private screening room. I’m definitely keeping and looking forward to more immersive content

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
From the article...which should be classifed as click bait:

"It’s also hard to say how widespread of a phenomenon this is. While these users are speaking out on social media, we have no idea of the actual return rate"
I don’t think it’s crazy or something only a hater would say when talking about the fact that this would probably have a higher returner rate, then something like an iPhone or an iPad. Those products you know exactly what you’re gonna get. Vision Pro? It’s overpriced for most people even the people that are buying it and wearing it is completely different experience. Some people like it some people hate it and you won’t know until you have it. We don’t have these experiences with iPhones. You just hold it and that’s it.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis

Microsoft Word lead says Apple's Vision Pro headset is "much better, more capable, more fun, and cheaper" than his home theatre, though it's heavy and strains his eyes.​

If you ever watch with other people (especially if you have a partner), one VP can’t replace a home theater setup.

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
If you ever watch with other people (especially if you have a partner), one VP can’t replace a home theater setup.
I have a partner and a nice theater setup (85” tv, Dolby atmos, etc) but never have I enjoyed it with her, well the first 10 minutes we watch together and then she sleeps 🤣

So for sure I will use it to replace my home theater setup!

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I have a partner and a nice theater setup (85” tv, Dolby atmos, etc) but never have I enjoyed it with her, well the first 10 minutes we watch together and then she sleeps 🤣

So for sure I will use it to replace my home theater setup!
I said if you watch with other people- which apparently you don’t. So, we agree.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021

There are quite a lot articles about returning AVP as of today. Some say 45% of buyers returned it which is quite huge. Mostly because of its weight, price, and lack of contents or uses.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I desperately wanted to love it, but I didn't. Eye Tracking is its golden ticket but not much else. Overall a very disappointing experience and I couldn't find the value for dollar that I was looking for. I'm a die hard apple ecosystem/fanboy but I just couldn't do it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
We heard about the weight issues from journalists on day one and it sucks that Apple didn’t do a thing about it. I remember commenting on weight distribution in June 2023. They focused too much on aesthetics rather than practicality with the strap design.

Reactions: Ghost31

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
We heard about the weight issues from journalists on day one and it sucks that Apple didn’t do a thing about it. I remember commenting on weight distribution in June 2023. They focused too much on aesthetics rather than practicality with the strap design.
I used it in person several times but its weight is so... heavy. I guess Apple learned nothing from AirPods Max.

Reactions: BB8

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
A niche product category that will continue to be a niche product category even if Apple entering helps drive down manufacturing cost, the cost and form factor needs to be significantly different for it to ever gain any traction. I could be wrong, but there's just to much fundamentally wrong with all headsets currently.

I know in that video that Zuckerberg posted he said they were surprised by the demand of the Ray-Bans they produced. Well, it's actually a lot closer to what the majority of people will put up with putting on their face all the time. The majority of people are not going to put up with having a Quest 3 or Vision Pro on there face for more than 2-3 hours a day.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I've been all over the place with mine. But every day I keep finding reasons to keep it. When people talk about the weight being a problem, they haven't set it up right yet. Couple notes about that:

• Getting it from an Apple store is critical. The App sizing function is buggy. Depending on how your hair is set, beard, whatever, it can come up with a wrong light shield. Apple store fitting can help, you can try different ones.
  • Setting up the right headband is important. Try both of them. Fit them until you get comfortable. I've done that and find I can wear it for hours at a time.
My most recent epiphany was standing, placing apps around me. You can interact with apps directly so it makes sense to try. Very cool!

There are issues with it. But, enough to say it's not worth having? Not sure. Had it for a week and don't mind sending feedback to help make it better. We'll see.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I desperately wanted to love it, but I didn't. Eye Tracking is its golden ticket but not much else. Overall a very disappointing experience and I couldn't find the value for dollar that I was looking for. I'm a die hard apple ecosystem/fanboy but I just couldn't do it.
Same here. The technology is pretty remarkable to offer the best experience available for this type of product, at the moment. Problem is though that it’s still far too compromised of an experience vs. just about everything on a different device. You can use a Mac but the experience is better on it’s own dedicated display. You check email, send Messages, browse Safari, use Notes but its far more laborious or cumbersome to do so. Text entry without a dedicated keyboard is terrible for anything more than a few words. Comfort is obviously a big issue. Pass through is better than on any other device—but it’s still a subpar experience vs. what you actually see without the device. Trying to move shows its shortcomings—very jittery/blurry, like it’s trying to catch up to your movements. The glare issue noted all over the internet was a real deal problem for me…just watching movies, which is actually the best experience on the AVP (along with the immersive environments) resulted in fringing or even lens flare. And it wasn’t a light seal issue because I had no noticeable light bleed and even testing in a dark room.

But worst of all, the eye tracking was just too inconsistent or unreliable for me. I constantly would have to look above or off to the side of my intended target for it to actually highlight what I wanted to select. I tried resetting up the device and eye tracking numerous times with no improvement.

I really wanted to like the Vision Pro and some aspects of it were remarkable but at the end of the day, it was a far too compromised experience for me. I’m looking forward to seeing how it changes and hopefully improves over time. I’ll give it a go again in a future iteration.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
None of these articles have any actual data behind them. While I’m sure more of them are going back than the latest Mac or iPad, seems like typical “new Apple product is doomed” clickbait to me.
Yup, it’s the exact same as the MR article reminding people about the return window closing.

Just because a site posts a story, doesn’t mean it actually has any data. Great click revenue generator though…

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Not surprisingly, many were buying to say they did and try it with no intention of keeping it. Others genuinely didn't like it, and some will not admit they returned theirs after raving about it so much.

AVP is a start, better to come.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Yup, it’s the exact same as the MR article reminding people about the return window closing.

Just because a site posts a story, doesn’t mean it actually has any data. Great click revenue generator though…
yup, and I bet a lot of people who have used it and are keeping it are not posting because all they get is negative comments ... I certainly commend the few here who are postting their experiences

Reactions: dasjati and NT1440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.