Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
It was a clear benefit to switch from hardware cursor keys on Palm and Blackberry to a full touchscreen. Multi-touch changed the world.

With Vision Pro, you have a step forward and a step back. You cannot do any real productivity without a physical keyboard.

It wasn’t a clear benefit at the time though. There were countless forum posts and comments about how text selection was horrible and only brainwashed Apple fanboys would accept a phone without a hardware keyboard.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It wasn’t a clear benefit at the time though. There were countless forum posts and comments about how text selection was horrible and only brainwashed Apple fanboys would accept a phone without a hardware keyboard.

It was a matter of familiarity and software improvement for the on-screen keyboard. Non-English users rejoiced at a virtual keyboard.

Vision Pro - nobody is getting used to typing in mid-air nor zero tactile feedback. You need a physical keyboard.

vantelimus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Vision Pro - nobody is getting used to typing in mid-air nor zero tactile feedback. You need a physical keyboard.
Voice input is superior on this device. Voice input is actually so much better these days that the Vision Pro will get people using it, people who would never use it with their desktop. Of course, if you want a keyboard, you can attach a Bluetooth keyboard.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
That was a complaint up until the Apple-haters got their Android devices. To many people, they could see the benefit of having the keyboard only available when needed, while taking advantage of the larger screen space when it disappeared. Obviously, the market agreed.

The difference here is that even Apple fanboys are having a hard time defending the design choices. For example, I am not seeing many people claim wearing heavy goggles with a long cord attached to a battery is the ideal form. This is the opposite of many Apple devices in the past where they nailed the basic design (iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch) and the software developed to make the device better year after year. This device needs major changes to the current form for mass adoption.

vantelimus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
The difference here is that even Apple fanboys are having a hard time defending the design choices. For example, I am not seeing many people claim wearing heavy goggles with a long cord attached to a battery is the ideal form. This is the opposite of many Apple devices in the past where they nailed the basic design (iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch) and the software developed to make the device better year after year. This device needs major changes to the current form for mass adoption.
The headset is lighter than the quest pro. I have not found the battery to be a limitation to mobility. Yes, the device needs to have changes to make it a mass market consumer product. No one is saying it doesn’t. This is a product for early adopters. Go read the crossing the chasm from the early 90s if you don’t understand this. Criticizing the device for not being perfect on first release is inane.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
iPhone had clear and obvious selling points. No stylus, new apps, big touchscreen, full keyboard, lightweight. It was expensive but clearly a big evolution of the smartphone.

Vision Pro has no such benefits. The interface is less precise than iPhone or Mac.
Non sequitur.

The iPhone’s interface is less precise than a Mac’s.

And yet, here we are. 🤷‍♂️

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Vision Pro, even if Apple dropped the price by half, it's still hard to see the benefits other than for entertainment.

There are lots of them.

1. Some of the meditation apps are awesome. Much cheaper than going to a therapist and paying $250 an hour.
2. Productivity. Having a 6 foot or larger Mac screen alongside VP apps ups the productivity quotient a lot.
3. Education. Still needs to be fleshed out but the night sky app shows the potential. Look at the sky, pick a constellation pull it down and lookup its history. Imagine being able to dissect a human body like they demoed the jet engine deconstruction. Select a body part and see how it works.

These are just a few current benefits. The future ones will be an order of magnitude more.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
There are lots of them.

1. Some of the meditation apps are awesome. Much cheaper than going to a therapist and paying $250 an hour.
2. Productivity. Having a 6 foot or larger Mac screen alongside VP apps ups the productivity quotient a lot.
3. Education. Still needs to be fleshed out but the night sky app shows the potential. Look at the sky, pick a constellation pull it down and lookup its history. Imagine being able to dissect a human body like they demoed the jet engine deconstruction. Select a body part and see how it works.

These are just a few current benefits. The future ones will be an order of magnitude more.
…you can meditate with your iPhone.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
…you can meditate with your iPhone.
You can play games on an iPhone too, does that mean nobody should play games using any other device?

It is almost like people are able to have different experiences by using a different device to do it. What a concept.

Reactions: vantelimus

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
The headset is lighter than the quest pro. I have not found the battery to be a limitation to mobility. Yes, the device needs to have changes to make it a mass market consumer product. No one is saying it doesn’t. This is a product for early adopters. Go read the crossing the chasm from the early 90s if you don’t understand this. Criticizing the device for not being perfect on first release is inane.
This not about it not "being perfect". It is no where close to that bar. My post was discussing how people are comparing the goggles to the iPhone's first generation device. The iPhone, like the other devices I mentioned, nailed the form factor for mass adoption. This thing, on the other hand, is far from nailing that design. In other words, stop comparing it to the iPhone (iPad, Watch) release. It isn't in the same ballpark.

Also, I disagree on your point that criticizing a first gen device is "inane". The product is no where close to being perfect and it costs $3500. If you have an issue with that, spend more time watching certain YouTube creators (stay away from the Verge) and less on a discussion forum.

Last edited:

vantelimus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
This not about it not "being perfect". It is no where close to that bar. My post was discussing how people are comparing the goggles to the iPhone's first generation device. The iPhone, like the other devices I mentioned, nailed the form factor for mass adoption. This thing, on the other hand, is far from nailing that design. In other words, stop comparing it to the iPhone (iPad, Watch) release. It isn't in the same ballpark.
The original iPhone didn't nail the form factor. At the time people criticized it as being too wide to comfortably fit into one's hands since it was ½-inch wider than a standard cell phone.

Within a couple of years, the industry trended towards larger phones -- phablets. Criticism of the iPhone changed from "too small" to "not large enough". Apple resisted the trend for 7 years until the iPhone 6 Plus in 2014. Now, most iPhones fall into the category of what was called a phablet a decade ago.

Besides the size, other design criticisms were:
• Too slippery, too easy to drop.
• No hardware keyboard. The on-screen keyboard was too small for normal sized fingers. There was no tactile feedback from it. As designed, it was considered useless for real work.
• The battery was not removable. You will be tethered to a charger if you want to use it for any length of time.

It seems the Vision Pro is getting much of the same criticism. Perhaps you don't see it as being in the same ballpark because the extremity of your criticisms are out in left field.

Also, I disagree on your point that criticizing a first gen device is "inane". The product is no where close to being perfect and it costs $3500. If you have an issue with that, spend more time watching certain YouTube creators (stay away from the Verge) and less on a discussion forum.

I didn't say criticizing a first-get device is inane. I said "Criticizing the device for not being perfect on first release is inane." I stand by that comment.

Last edited:

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
You can play games on an iPhone too, does that mean nobody should play games using any other device?

It is almost like people are able to have different experiences by using a different device to do it. What a concept.
As someone that meditates almost daily, just don’t understand why somebody would put something that is the weight of an iPad Pro on their face to try to relax And focus their mind. Especially when most of it is just audio and not visual. Like I’m having a tough day and I want to meditate so I really need to see those mindfulness flowers follow me around a room? How does that help me meditate?

• Love
Reactions: d0sed0se

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Yes, but no joke the meditation app on AVP might be my favorite. It’s fantastic.
The built-in one? What is so great about it that I am just not seeing right now? I’m looking at a video of it right now on YouTube and it’s the same audio that you would get with using your Apple Watch or something.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
The built-in one? What is so great about it that I am just not seeing right now? I’m looking at a video of it right now on YouTube and it’s the same audio that you would get with using your Apple Watch or something.
I found the combination of Environment+Weird Flower Ball thing amazingly calming. But I am not a regular meditator, to be clear.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I found the combination of Environment+Weird Flower Ball thing amazingly calming. But I am not a regular meditator, to be clear.
Crossing my fingers they continue adding environments. Maybe even special meditative ones

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
As someone that meditates almost daily, just don’t understand why somebody would put something that is the weight of an iPad Pro on their face to try to relax And focus their mind. Especially when most of it is just audio and not visual. Like I’m having a tough day and I want to meditate so I really need to see those mindfulness flowers follow me around a room? How does that help me meditate?

I’m did it a couple times yesterday. It was already on my face and I needed a break. The flowers Dan ing around is mesmerizing but I did close my eyes for most of it.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
The original iPhone didn't nail the form factor. At the time people criticized it as being too wide to comfortably fit into one's hands since it was ½-inch wider than a standard cell phone.

Within a couple of years, the industry trended towards larger phones -- phablets. Criticism of the iPhone changed from "too small" to "not large enough". Apple resisted the trend for 7 years until the iPhone 6 Plus in 2014. Now, most iPhones fall into the category of what was called a phablet a decade ago.

Besides the size, other design criticisms were:
• Too slippery, too easy to drop.
• No hardware keyboard. The on-screen keyboard was too small for normal sized fingers. There was no tactile feedback from it. As designed, it was considered useless for real work.
• The battery was not removable. You will be tethered to a charger if you want to use it for any length of time.

It seems the Vision Pro is getting much of the same criticism. Perhaps you don't see it as being in the same ballpark because the extremity of your criticisms are out in left field.

I didn't say criticizing a first-get device is inane. I said "Criticizing the device for not being perfect on first release is inane." I stand by that comment.
I am not aware of anyone criticizing it for “not being perfect”. It would need to be in the ballpark of being perfect for that to be an issue.

The slate form factor design of the iPhone was the perfect design choice at the time and that basic design is still seen in the newest iPhones. Most of the things you mentioned as issues…no removable battery, slippery, no hardware keyboard.. could still be complained about today, yet it became one of the most successful consumer products in history without addressing these “so called” issues. They were irrelevant because the iPhones were beautifully designed compared to the bricks people were carrying in their pockets at the time. This device is the opposite of the iPhone with it’s design choices...it’s more like the bricks with physical keyboards that required a stylus to interact with than the original iPhone. Apple needs a more sleek Apple-like design for these things to catch on.

I should add that I am glad some first adopters bought into this product despite these issues. We need users to push developers into making apps to make this more compelling while they (most likely) come up with a more mainstream design.

Last edited:
Reactions: heretiq

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Say it ain’t so. Some people who spent nearly $4,000 on a brand new generation one device have buyers remorse and returned it? In other news water is wet. The haters are really scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to bury the device two weeks after it‘s release in a single country when Apple has already said they are in this for the long haul, that they are only producing and intending on selling half a million of these things globally in 2024 and internally most at Apple see this thing not becoming anything close to a mature, mainstream device until the 4th generation with the 2nd generation likely two years or more down the road. LOL ….

Reactions: dannynjoni

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
As someone that meditates almost daily, just don’t understand why somebody would put something that is the weight of an iPad Pro on their face to try to relax And focus their mind. Especially when most of it is just audio and not visual.

Self-Hypnosis is another tool to "meditate" to relax. It usually relies heavy on visualizations. VP enhances that experience.

vantelimus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Are you saying you need a deprivation tank in order to meditate?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The day 1ers and 2nders are now passed their return period. What a relief!! We don’t have to deal with them anymore since they no longer have the device.

• Love

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
At all, people were amazed by the iPhone. It was simple to use and you could access all the web, maps and youtube

AVP is nothing like the iPhone, it has lots of compromises
Were you around when the iPhone was launched and was panned for all its initial compromises?? It took the iPhone a decade+ to resolve its most significant compromises. In that sense the AVP is very much like the iPhone at launch: perfect for its early adopter, but not yet ready for the mass market.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Are you saying you need a deprivation tank in order to meditate?
He’s saying the idea of relying on a goggle or a device of any kind is antithetical to the purpose of meditation — which is about quieting the mind and freeing oneself from distractions. I think it’s pretty obvious that a heavy device on your head makes it hard to achieve the objective.

Reactions: d0sed0se
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.