Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
None of these articles have any actual data behind them. While I’m sure more of them are going back than the latest Mac or iPad, seems like typical “new Apple product is doomed” clickbait to me.
You will never get actual numbers as Apple won't gonna share it. At least there are quite a lot of articles about people returning AVP which is already unusual.

• Haha
Reactions: dasjati

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
yup, and I bet a lot of people who have used it and are keeping it are not posting because all they get is negative comments ... I certainly commend the few here who are postting their experiences
I’m sure there’s a good number of returns, it costs more than my car is technically valued at, but this thread is just bait.

Oh jeeze, just realized who the OP is. Yup, bait.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
How are you going to get those numbers?
I don’t know. I’m not the one posting about returns every time a new article about it popups. Everyone is trying to a piece of the “a lot of people are returning the AVP,” but we have yet to see some hardcore numbers.

Taldric2022

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
I've been all over the place with mine. But every day I keep finding reasons to keep it. When people talk about the weight being a problem, they haven't set it up right yet. Couple notes about that:

• Getting it from an Apple store is critical. The App sizing function is buggy. Depending on how your hair is set, beard, whatever, it can come up with a wrong light shield. Apple store fitting can help, you can try different ones.
  • Setting up the right headband is important. Try both of them. Fit them until you get comfortable. I've done that and find I can wear it for hours at a time.
My most recent epiphany was standing, placing apps around me. You can interact with apps directly so it makes sense to try. Very cool!

There are issues with it. But, enough to say it's not worth having? Not sure. Had it for a week and don't mind sending feedback to help make it better. We'll see.
I haven't found the weight that much of an issue. I did switch to the dual-loop headband, and that made a big difference for me. I also found recently that I needed to tighten the over-the-head strap a little tighter than I thought to make the focus location for my eyes be better. Tighten it too much and the IrisID and Eye tracking don't work properly though. So it's still a configuration in progress for me after nearly a week.

I was glad to do the fitting and purchase in the Apple Store though. We went through 4 different parts, then two different interfaces to the face - so at least 8 combinations of fittings before I found the one I felt most comfortable with.

Edited: Oh - and I am NOT returning mine.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

CuddlyButDeadly

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2024
I returned my extra battery pack at the Apple Store (because who needs one when you can’t hot swap them) and was told by the reps there thatt they had heard several buyers outright admitting they had bought them solely for the purpose of using them for two weeks and returning them. Obviously this is strictly anecdotal but I’ll extrapolate from that and say that no small number of people intended to return them all along.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
"they had heard several buyers outright admitting they had bought them solely for the purpose of using them for two weeks and returning them".

I think this is as accurate as one can get. I would go on to say that if they actually could afford it, they would keep it! Instead, they write nasty things about AVP, and all its faults. When we know it's a first generation product and it's going to be improved over time whether it's this generation via software or next generation. I think it's sad that people have to criticize something they know has certain shortcomings and rehash them over and over and over! Get over it!

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
At least there are quite a lot of articles about people returning AVP which is already unusual.
You seem to be new here. Every product launch, new device category or not, has a flurry of these kind of forums posts. And of course websites that rely on ad-revenue milk every topic as much as they can, even bending reality and their own trustworthiness in the process. If I wanted to take the time to prove my point (I don't) I'm sure I could find many, many articles like this about the iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch … It's just what happens every single time. The bigger the launch, the absurder the reporting.

I'm not saying Apple Vision Pro is a success. I'm not saying people are not sending them back in droves.

I'm just saying that nobody knows for sure besides some people working at Apple. And all of these articles are clickbait to earn money.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
"they had heard several buyers outright admitting they had bought them solely for the purpose of using them for two weeks and returning them".

I think this is as accurate as one can get. I would go on to say that if they actually could afford it, they would keep it! Instead, they write nasty things about AVP, and all its faults. When we know it's a first generation product and it's going to be improved over time whether it's this generation via software or next generation. I think it's sad that people have to criticize something they know has certain shortcomings and rehash them over and over and over! Get over it!

Part of the problem is demo demand. One of the reasons I purchased mine was I felt the time we have to demo them in store just isn't long enough. You are rushed through the demo, see a few cool things, told how great it is (hate that), then it's on to the next. So my purchase was with an intent to try it out for 14 days and see if it's really of value to me. So far, it is. Have a little less than a week left.

Reactions: Ghost31

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
You seem to be new here. Every product launch, new device category or not, has a flurry of these kind of forums posts. And of course websites that rely on ad-revenue milk every topic as much as they can, even bending reality and their own trustworthiness in the process. If I wanted to take the time to prove my point (I don't) I'm sure I could find many, many articles like this about the iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch … It's just what happens every single time. The bigger the launch, the absurder the reporting.

I'm not saying Apple Vision Pro is a success. I'm not saying people are not sending them back in droves.

I'm just saying that nobody knows for sure besides some people working at Apple. And all of these articles are clickbait to earn money.
But still it's unusually high to return unlike other Apple products I've seen especially with a lot of articles and posts on many communities.

Reactions: violetamethyst

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
If the numbers are correct, there are more sensible people than I thought. That puts me in a hopeful mood.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
But still it's unusually high to return unlike other Apple products I've seen especially with a lot of articles and posts on many communities.
You haven’t seen a first gen product other than the Apple Watch in a decade. Let alone one that most Americans simply can’t afford.

I’m sure returns are happening, but your sources are bunk and purely speculative.

• Haha
Reactions: sunny5

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Shoutout to the Mods for putting all these return threads into one post. It was turning into VisionPro Reddit group on here — that place is INSANE right now w/ the return posts.

Reactions: aidler

violetamethyst

Suspended
Feb 15, 2024
You haven’t seen a first gen product other than the Apple Watch in a decade. Let alone one that most Americans simply can’t afford.

I’m sure returns are happening, but your sources are bunk and purely speculative.

Phones and watches are useful. Overpriced deadweights covering your face are useless.
People are starting to realize this and how unpractical and ridiculous the Vision Pro is.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I've been all over the place with mine. But every day I keep finding reasons to keep it. When people talk about the weight being a problem, they haven't set it up right yet. Couple notes about that:

• Getting it from an Apple store is critical. The App sizing function is buggy. Depending on how your hair is set, beard, whatever, it can come up with a wrong light shield. Apple store fitting can help, you can try different ones.
  • Setting up the right headband is important. Try both of them. Fit them until you get comfortable. I've done that and find I can wear it for hours at a time.
My most recent epiphany was standing, placing apps around me. You can interact with apps directly so it makes sense to try. Very cool!

There are issues with it. But, enough to say it's not worth having? Not sure. Had it for a week and don't mind sending feedback to help make it better. We'll see.

I’ve been found it varies from day to day. One day it doesn’t bother too much. Next day it’s irritating like I didn’t put it on right. Still using solo. Don’t really want to try the other.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

vantelimus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
At all, people were amazed by the iPhone. It was simple to use and you could access all the web, maps and youtube

AVP is nothing like the iPhone, it has lots of compromises
In response to the iPhone, people complained about the limitations in the mail app, the maps app was hard to use, safari would crash on complicated websites, the interface was different and could be slow, it lacked a Mac-style clipboard, you couldn’t switch fonts, the price was too high ($500 + a two-year ATT contract costing around $1500 at its cheapest), ATT only, no 3G support, 3rd-party app development wasn’t supported, non-removable battery, no physical keyboard, non-expandable storage, etc. WIRED magazine declared it “not worth the money” after using it for only three hours.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
If the numbers are correct, there are more sensible people than I thought. That puts me in a hopeful mood.
What numbers? Show us the real numbers, not some trolls posting on social media about returning their AVP that likely didn’t have it the first place or was only trying it out for 14 days knowing they couldn’t afford it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In response to the iPhone, people complained about the limitations in the mail app, the maps app was hard to use, safari would crash on complicated websites, the interface was different and could be slow, it lacked a Mac-style clipboard, you couldn’t switch fonts, the price was too high ($500 + a two-year ATT contract costing around $1500 at its cheapest), ATT only, no 3G support, 3rd-party app development wasn’t supported, non-removable battery, no physical keyboard, non-expandable storage, etc. WIRED magazine declared it “not worth the money” after using it for only three hours.

iPhone had clear and obvious selling points. No stylus, new apps, big touchscreen, full keyboard, lightweight. It was expensive but clearly a big evolution of the smartphone.

Vision Pro has no such benefits. The interface is less precise than iPhone or Mac. Few people want to wear the weight of two and a half iPhone Pro Maxes on their face plus a battery belt. It's socially awkward and uncomfortable to wear a headset.

Vision Pro, even if Apple dropped the price by half, it's still hard to see the benefits other than for entertainment.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
iPhone had clear and obvious selling points. No stylus, new apps, big touchscreen, full keyboard, lightweight. It was expensive but clearly a big evolution of the smartphone.

Vision Pro has no such benefits. The interface is less precise than iPhone or Mac. Few people want to wear the weight of two and a half iPhone Pro Maxes on their face plus a battery belt. It's socially awkward and uncomfortable to wear a headset.

Vision Pro, even if Apple dropped the price by half, it's still hard to see the benefits other than for entertainment.
Too true.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
It was a beautiful design from the start. For me, the main thing missing was the App Store, but just from the design, I knew I would be switching from Treo to iPhone when my contract was up and the App Store was added. The ”App Store” was the one thing I would have missed from my Treo that kept me from getting that first iPhone ( I was in the market that year). It was easy to predict where Apple would go to make this device a major success, though.

One big difference here is that the design is not good. It requires you to wear heavy goggles and put up with a long cable and battery. The battery life is also awful. The other issue is that phones were a proven winner. Treo, BlackBerry, Sidekick, etc.. it was an established market. Headgear is not an established market, so we don’t know if this will catch on until someone comes out with a better design. The iPhone was easy to predict mass market success, this device has a big question mark. That being said, I don’t believe it has to be mass market if they keep their typical high margins. It could continue to be a niche product, while still making them lots of $$$.

vantelimus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013

It is amusing that you list some of the benefits of iPhone where Vision Pro has similar benefits: for instance “no stylus” on the iPhone becomes no clunky hand-restricting game controllers required; “new apps”, aside from the fact that there were no new apps on the iPhone, only a couple that duplicated a website onto the iPhone (e.g. Google maps), the Vision Pro has professional-grade 3D business visualization and superior display in the 3D entertainment content; the iPhone had a software keyboard and was a big complaint by the hater boys who claimed the lack of hardware made it unusable for email, the AVP has multiple ways to input your text, including a real full Bluetooth keyboard and mouse input; lightweight, well the Vision Pro is lighter than the Quest Pro.

The fact that your criticism of the Vision Pro is so egregious false and deceptive shows something… people who read this group should disregard anything you or your sock puppets say.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It was a beautiful design from the start. For me, the main thing missing was the App Store, but just from the design, I knew I would be switching from Treo to iPhone when my contract was up and the App Store was added. The ”App Store” was the one thing I would have missed from my Treo that kept me from getting that first iPhone ( I was in the market that year). It was easy to predict where Apple would go to make this device a major success, though.

One big difference here is that the design is not good. It requires you to wear heavy goggles and put up with a long cable and battery. The battery life is also awful. The other issue is that phones were a proven winner. Treo, BlackBerry, Sidekick, etc.. it was an established market. Headgear is not an established market, so we don’t know if this will catch on until someone comes out with a better design. The iPhone was easy to predict mass market success, this device has a big question mark. That being said, I don’t believe it has to be mass market if they keep their typical high margins. It could continue to be a niche product, while still making them lots of $$$.

There was a clear benefit to switch from hardware cursor keys on Palm and Blackberry to a full touchscreen. Multi-touch changed the world.

With Vision Pro, you have a step forward and a step back. You cannot do any real productivity without a physical keyboard. Our world is based on text messages. Who's carrying a keyboard around or talking out loud to Siri?

Even if Vision Pro were half the weight and price, fundamentally, the social acceptance of a headset is questionable. With a headset, you never know if they're looking at you with full attention, regardless of pass-through. We've seen this with sunglasses - the problem hasn't been solved. On iPhone or any other traditional device, you know exactly whether the user is paying attention.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.