Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I literally can’t find anything with atmos enabled. I think I’m reading it wrong hah.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I was looking for music to try this out. Here's one for John Williams fans.

EDIT: If the preview window doesn't show up, look for "Celebrating John Williams (Live At Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles 2019)" in the Music app.

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Apple have made a pretty big deal of it on the browse page now so you should find plenty. On the ‘Made for Spatial Audio’ playlist, the first Marvin Gaye track goes from mono to stereo to spatial as a demo, with Zane Lowe describing what’s happening, it’s pretty good.

Attachments

• DADF8F21-C10A-4698-80B4-B102DDC069DA.jpeg
    DADF8F21-C10A-4698-80B4-B102DDC069DA.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 173

Saudumm

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Apple have made a pretty big deal of it on the browse page now so you should find plenty. On the ‘Made for Spatial Audio’ playlist, the first Marvin Gaye track goes from mono to stereo to spatial as a demo, with Zane Lowe describing what’s happening, it’s pretty good.
Most of the tracks in those playlist don't show as Atmos (yet) when I play them. Just found a Bon Jovi Song that's suddenly Atmos, so I guess Apple is still rolling out the feature.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Some sound good, some sound like leaked demos.
Obviously it’s because we are so used to music in regular stereo.
I’m sure when they switched from mono to stereo, people thought the same.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I’ll leave it on auto but don’t really care too much after listening to a few. I may switch it off as I liked what I had. Lossless on the other hand will stay off. Looks like a data hog.

I like the spatial stuff with video content. Not so much music.

Ghost-Hardware

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
I'm currently listening to the new Gojira album with Airpods Pro and Dolby Atmos on and I can barely hear the singer's voice under all the instruments ... In general, I think it's not well adapted to rock/metal yet. Power chords make tracks sound almost muffled, it's especially true with Dance, Dance from Fall Out Boy, for example...

However, pop songs are actually sounding great. Call me maybe from Carly Rae Jepsen is really pleasant to the ears, truly ear-candy. This love from Maroon 5 is pretty cool also although I think it would sound better if bass wasn't so present.

Reactions: bryn0076

topbin

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2020
UK
folklore by Taylor Swift is sounding really good on Atmos - loads of different stuff coming out (including depth of harmonies) I'd never heard/noticed before.

Just using the Airpods (not pro) to hear it, it's really impressive I think!

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Listening through the Apple playlist is pretty amazing. It takes a lot of skipping past all the popular stuff that I’ve never heard of. Man, I’m getting old ?

Reactions: TwiceNightly

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I enabled atmos and wasn’t really sure if I could tell the difference. I thought I noticed a difference but not 100% sure…..

until I listened to Paparazzi - Lady Gaga. holy crap it sounds so good. If you want a song to hear atmos in action listen to that one.

edit: also these songs…

sugar we’re going down - fallout boy

In too deep + motivation - sum 41

Come together - the beatles

Last edited:

Malococsis

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
I enabled atmos and wasn’t really sure if I could tell the difference. I thought I noticed a difference but not 100% sure…..

until I listened to Paparazzi - Lady Gaga. holy crap it sounds so good. If you want a song to hear atmos in action listen to that one.

edit: also these songs…

sugar we’re going down - fallout boy

In too deep + motivation - sum 41

Come together - the beatles
Mate all of those don't have Atmos.. you're probably referring to Lossless. This thread is about Dolby Atmos. To be fair, even the OP mentioned Yesterday which doesn't have Atmos too.. it seems like everyone thinks Atmos and lossless are the same thing.
EDIT : Or maybe the issue is coming from my apps ? Because even browsing the Dolby Atmos playlists from Apple, I find lots of titles that aren't marked as Dolby Atmos but only lossless. Weird..

Last edited:

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Even the Apple Music team seems confused they list albums in the spatial section which are not, like the Beatles Abbey Road album and in some playlists there are also songs which are not Dolby Atmos. It is all a bit of a mess and confusion.

Ghost-Hardware

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
Mate all of those don't have Atmos.. you're probably referring to Lossless. This thread is about Dolby Atmos. To be fair, even the OP mentioned Yesterday which doesn't have Atmos too.. it seems like everyone thinks Atmos and lossless are the same thing.
EDIT : Or maybe the issue is coming from my apps ? Because even browsing the Dolby Atmos playlists from Apple, I find lots of titles that aren't marked as Dolby Atmos but only lossless. Weird..

You may have a problem with your app. These quoted songs are definitely in Atmos, I've listened to In too deep from Sum 41 in Atmos this morning for example. However, I'm wondering : did the AirPods Pro get an update during the night or something? I find them sounding way better than yesterday, don't know if it's me or not. Even outside Apple Music.

Even the Apple Music team seems confused they list albums in the spatial section which are not, like the Beatles Abbey Road album and in some playlists there are also songs which are not Dolby Atmos. It is all a bit of a mess and confusion.

You can definitely see they did it in haste. I heard here and there that they would have added Dolby Atmos and Lossless to compete with Spotify that is about to implement HiFi in their offer too.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Rebel Yell by Billy Idol sounds surprisingly modern and awesome in Atmos. What's my age again by blink sounds wrong, the vocals are over modulated and the guitar is very distant.

theadz01

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2004
London
Just played Kraftwerk - Tour de France on my Apple TV through my Sonos surround system. Sounded incredible ?

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
So far going through some of the Atmos playlists the standouts for me have been:
The Weekend - Blinding Lights
Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On
Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am
Prince - When Doves Cry

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
its confusing, Music has curated playlists of Spatial Audio, and use Abbey Road by the Beatles as an example, but if you go on that albums page, it says Lossless but not Dolby

can spatial albums NOT be dolby atmos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.