Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Buddy Holly by Weezer sounds absolutely HORRIBLE in Dolby Atmos. Far less expansive soundstage, the cymbals completely disappear at about 1:05 or 1:10, the vocals sound like they're in mono, and the background vocals sound like something off a demo tape.

Marcy Playground's Sex and Candy also sounds horrible in Dolby Atmos. The soundstage is much wider in its original mix, and the guitars have MUCH better separation in stereo. I have to say, Dolby Atmos sucks for every track I've tried it with (listening on AirPods Pro, if that matters)

Last edited:

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
I've noticed that some albums only have certain songs that are Atmos and those particular albums only show the lossless flag (which I assume is because the album as a whole isn't Atmos).

The album The Fame by Lady Gaga is an example. Only a couple tracks seem to be in Atmos (Just Dance and Paparazzi).
Not a Gaga fan normally, but it’s criminal that they didn’t master Telephone in Atmos as that would be the perfect candidate for the tech if remastered correctly, loads of panning effects/harmonies/multi track/sound effects would sound incredible in Atmos I mean even the stereo version upmixer through my AV receiver sounds pretty awesome.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Well, I was initially very underwhelmed listening to some of these Atmos songs. Then I started playing with the setting and realized I didn’t have spatial audio turned on for my Air Pod Pros. Turning that on made quite a difference in a number of songs. So for those of you who didn't hear much of a difference, make sure you have spatial audio turned on.

That being said, as a movie music fan, the Finale from Rise of Skywalker sounds fantastic. Very impressive. Plus it’s a recent recording, if that makes a difference.

Ghost-Hardware

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021

okay this is f'n groovy, not sure if atmos is even working on my system

Indeed, just tried it right now. The bass line is pretty amazing I have to say. I'm not a fan of The Beatles but let's give the devil his due, it's actually very pleasant to listen to with Atmos. ?

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory is the first 'metal' album I've found that sounds great in Atmos. Just wish it went louder.

It's not bad indeed. We should be grateful that Apple thought about us metalheads at least. Apart from Atmos though, I've noticed that I can now listen to Transylvanian Hunger from DarkThrone in Lossless on Apple Music. \o/

Last edited:
Reactions: Pug72

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Yeah. Are you going off that link? Try going into the Music app and looking in Apple Music.

. IMG_4472.PNG IMG_4473.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrea Filippini

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Also if it's already in your library it may need deleting and adding from Apple Music.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
its confusing, Music has curated playlists of Spatial Audio, and use Abbey Road by the Beatles as an example, but if you go on that albums page, it says Lossless but not Dolby

can spatial albums NOT be dolby atmos?
Albums are only marked as being Dolby Atmos if it is the whole album.

In the Abbey Road example, the Atmos mix was produced for the 2019 reissue, and Apple have added these mixes to the album, but the two discs of demos etc don't have Atmos versions.

I'd much prefer it if they listed them as a separate release (could then have both versions in your library and choose which to play, for example), but that obviously wouldn't work well for all the examples where they just have a couple of tracks in an album available as Atmos.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Definitely. After seeing Sweet Child Of Mine in the curated Rock Atmos playlist, I tried all the other tracks in Appetite For Destruction. The only other was Welcome To The Jungle.
Now if I was to listen to the whole album it's a little spoilt by the change from stereo to Atmos between tracks.

TheClaff

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah. Are you going off that link? Try going into the Music app and looking in Apple Music.

. View attachment 1790352 View attachment 1790351
Something is not right for me and it must be related to the fact I owned the album and had it in my library. I was searching for it in Apple Music and it showed up but was not Dolby Atmos. It also shows as Alternative not Hard Rock. I then searched for it in my library and deleted it, but now when I search Apple music I only see the Deluxe Version of the album and its still listed as Alternative. I think years of purchasing music before streaming, and iTunes Match, has left them with a ton of odd legacy bugs and issues.

• Sad

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
This sounds crazy... best example I have found to give that 'surround' feel. Don't love the song but it shows off Atmos.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
This one sounds, in my opinion, amazing in Atmos, completely different than the "old" sound of the original, gives it much modern feeling (though might not be for everyone :) )

Also many songs in the "Classical in Spatial Audio" playlist from Apple sound amazing on a DTS soundbar (via Apple TV), with different instruments coming from different speakers... gives it much more "live" feeling

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
So this isn’t spacial audio from Apple Music but just found this on YouTube and it’s pretty crazy what is possible with spacial audio. Just put on any headphones or earbuds and take a listen (it literally had me looking behind me lol):

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Something seems strange for me: songs from my library I downloaded lossless don’t seem to play in Dolby Atmos... is Lossless the ‘better’ option and then streamed to my AirPods Pro And I lose spatial?
when I play Lady Gaga through Apple Music stream I can clearly hear the difference...

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
Something seems strange for me: songs from my library I downloaded lossless don’t seem to play in Dolby Atmos... is Lossless the ‘better’ option and then streamed to my AirPods Pro And I lose spatial?
when I play Lady Gaga through Apple Music stream I can clearly hear the difference...

If you don’t check the box in settings to download Dolby Atmos it won’t download that version. The option is off by default.

8a3de2bde968c1b75b65d28808c064bb.jpg

Reactions: Mic2904

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
If you don’t check the box in settings to download Dolby Atmos it won’t download that version. The option is off by default.

8a3de2bde968c1b75b65d28808c064bb.jpg
I had that set up that way. However I have now unticked lossless option in Music and sounds switched over.

just realised the big difference with Kanye Black Skinhead.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
But why some old songs are in Dolby Atmos? Artists have a way to add Atmos to their songs without recording them again?
They go back to the recordings (or the closest-to-original recordings they have) and remix them.

Last edited:

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
R.E.M.’s Automatic for the People. This also had a physical Blu-ray release in Atmos. This was the first title I checked in Apple Music for Atmos because I knew an Atmos mix existed.

Reactions: tucogovinda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.