Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
It’s not the chip; it’s the speakers. It wouldn’t work with the built-in speaker but should if you’re connecting to a DAC (or using compatible headphones, I imagine). How are you outputting the audio?
Through a DAC. (USB)
I can get lossless no problem...the problem is just with ATMOS

Kier-XF

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
I think you're encountering the direct selection bug - see here:

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I think you're encountering the direct selection bug - see here:

No I tried that.
No matter what I try, I cannot get amost playback on my mac mini.

Not a huge deal, as I'm more interested in lossless (which works), but I'd still like to have the option.
I'll wait for an os update and see

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
US
It’s kind of wild how some songs sound straight up bad though…elements missing, volume levels being totally messy, pitch correction plug-ins not being active on this version, etc. I don’t get how they heard these and thought “yes let’s release it”?

Reactions: dannys1 and Pug72

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If you want to experience extreme drum’s depth/width and something VERY rare in pop/rock check out I’m Coming Out by Diana Ross. The intro has a fantastic drums set that is full on depth and width. The song while catchy is a little post disco and slightly dated but listenable.

Then check out at time stamp 3:00 for a super rare trombone solo followed by anther drum set that is outstanding. It is a Nile Rodger’s mix at it’s best.

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
If you want to experience extreme drum’s depth/width and something VERY rare in pop/rock check out I’m Coming Out by Diana Ross. The intro has a fantastic drums set that is full on depth and width. The song while catchy is a little post disco and slightly dated but listenable.

Then check out at time stamp 3:00 for a super rare trombone solo followed by anther drum set that is outstanding. It is a Nile Rodger’s mix at it’s best.
Can you please share a link? I can only find it in Lossless.

Edit: worked on my phone. From this album;

Upside down sounds amazing too.

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I am struggling with downloads… example: streaming Kanye Black Skinhead from the Spatial Playlist plays in Dolby Atmos. However, when I download it it goes back to stereo?! I am confident it’s not my settings off the phone…
Anyone any idea?

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I am struggling with downloads… example: streaming Kanye Black Skinhead from the Spatial Playlist plays in Dolby Atmos. However, when I download it it goes back to stereo?! I am confident it’s not my settings off the phone…
Anyone any idea?
Do you have Atmos downloads enabled?

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Do you have Atmos downloads enabled?
Yes, all enabled. Lossless disabled…

i switched off library sync which I believe can cause bother. 4DE272BD-50AB-4B86-A3CF-7D22448862BB.png

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Can you please share a link? I can only find it in Lossless.

Edit: worked on my phone. From this album;

Upside down sounds amazing too.
Upside Down isn't in Atmos though (at least not now). Also I got it from the Made for Spatial Audio playlist. It is off a different album.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I love how I have to go into all my albums and remove them/re add the "lossless" or atmos version of the album...seriously apple you couldn't just auto swap all the albums?

chiefdave

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I love how I have to go into all my albums and remove them/re add the "lossless" or atmos version of the album...seriously apple you couldn't just auto swap all the albums?
I've got over 3.5K albums in my library. Am I supposed to go through it every few weeks and check which ones have new versions I need to add? This is a million miles from the 'it just works' mantra.

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
Trying it for the first time now, with my Sony wh-1000xm3s (wired). Some songs sound great (Come Together) but others are not so good. Listening to Buddy Holly by Weezer now, and you can barely hear the guitars. You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi sounds anaemic.

Where I think this will come alive is with classical music. I'm not a massive fan myself, but listening to a few bits and the soundstage created works better with an orchestra.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
It is absolutely criminal that they don’t have any Radiohead songs that support Dolby Atmos yet
It's criminal to you.

Speaking of Atmos... I really don't know what to think. I read an article from The Verge I believe (maybe it was another source, I don't remember) where they listed a few songs that sounded like a marvel with Spatial Audio. Paparazzi by Gaga, a techno thing by Tiesto, among other songs...

...but I didn't heard any noticeable difference. On my iPhone 12 Pro and on my MBP M1. Spatial Audio always on. AirPods Max. I swear, it sounded pretty much the same for me.

So my conclusion is one of two possibilities: there's something wrong with my setup, or everybody has different hearing sensibilities for that stuff and maybe there's a placebo effect present.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It's criminal to you.

Speaking of Atmos... I really don't know what to think. I read an article from The Verge I believe (maybe it was another source, I don't remember) where they listed a few songs that sounded like a marvel with Spatial Audio. Paparazzi by Gaga, a techno thing by Tiesto, among other songs...

...but I didn't heard any noticeable difference. On my iPhone 12 Pro and on my MBP M1. Spatial Audio always on. AirPods Max. I swear, it sounded pretty much the same for me.

So my conclusion is one of two possibilities: there's something wrong with my setup, or everybody has different hearing sensibilities for that stuff and maybe there's a placebo effect present.
Maybe you have to go into settings and make sure “download in Dolby Atmos” is turned on, then delete and redownload. I had similar issues and this fixed it

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
It's criminal to you.

With even the best earphones, the experience is limited and can even sound worse, but if you have an Atmos home theater (or even just 5.1 with dedicated speakers — not just a soundbar), good Atmos mixes sound fantastic. Each instrument and the vocals come alive and are crisp. There are elements inaudible in the stereo versions.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
With even the best earphones, the experience is limited and can even sound worse, but if you have an Atmos home theater (or even just 5.1 with dedicated speakers — not just a soundbar), good Atmos mixes sound fantastic. Each instrument and the vocals come alive and are crisp. There are elements inaudible in the stereo versions.
I’ve not been blown away but for it sounds a lot better if I listen using my HomePod stereo pair than my AirPods Pro. Obviously the homepods do not compared to proper speaker set up but I can notice some differences, with some being preferable. With the AirPods Pro it’s very hit and miss and doesn’t always sound good.

thettareddast

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
But why some old songs are in Dolby Atmos? Artists have a way to add Atmos to their songs without recording them again?
studios "remix" and "remaster" tracks all the time. in the original studio recording, they would have used multiple microphones, and if those different audio streams are available they can be used to produce different final tracks with different intended effect.

sometimes its effective. most of the time it seems a mess.

Don't think they could have made this more confusing if they tried. Having read several posts and articles I still have no idea on the difference between Atmos and Spatial.

Similarly the difference between Automatic and Always On. Surely only Atmos tracks can be played in Atmos so what benefit is Always On over Automatic? Is Automatic just a gimmick to make those of us who paid out for AirPods think we're getting something better than everyone else?
atmos and spatial are both trademarks. one belongs to dolby, the other to apple. both are technology that has to do with surround sound. atmos content requires compatible downstream technology to properly reproduce the surround effects. spatial is apple's compatible downstream tech.

Neither Automatic nor Always On will "force" surround sound effects when it is not available in the content. apple will not automatically upmix something to surround. the difference only matters when a track is available in both atmos and non-atmos. the implication is that apple's spatial-compatible devices are optimized for playing atmos stuff and will choose it when available... whereas other unrecognized devices may not play atmos content very well, so they let you pick which track you want to play.

It is absolutely criminal that they don’t have any Radiohead songs that support Dolby Atmos yet

the question is whether radiohead has or intends to produce their music in multi-channel? to my knowledge, they have never released a multi channel SaCD or DVDa. they deliver vinyl if people want (theoretical) higher resolution, and they may offer hi-res or lossless digital files too. but never surround stuff, so thats their decision

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
atmos and spatial are both trademarks. one belongs to dolby, the other to apple. both are technology that has to do with surround sound. atmos content requires compatible downstream technology to properly reproduce the surround effects. spatial is apple's compatible downstream tech.

Neither Automatic nor Always On will "force" surround sound effects when it is not available in the content. apple will not automatically upmix something to surround. the difference only matters when a track is available in both atmos and non-atmos. the implication is that apple's spatial-compatible devices are optimized for playing atmos stuff and will choose it when available... whereas other unrecognized devices may not play atmos content very well, so they let you pick which track you want to play.
Spatial audio is a generic term. Dolby Atmos is one type of spatial as are the various versions of DTS:X.

macOS 12 and iOS/iPadOS 15 do have a "Spatialize Stereo" feature to simulate spatial audio from stereo.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not a song ("A song ain't a song Until someone starts singin" ? ;)- The Wallflowers) but this is an original ear-worm that is featured in countless movies, TV shows and commercials. Being arpeggiated chords makes it even more catchy and endearing. Very melodic and an almost "rock" sounding pace with an constantly undulating quality. It is Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 Prelude (1st movement). All 6 Cello Suites are mastered in Atmos. The depth and ambiance is astounding. Sounds like you and Rostropovich are alone in a large old church or other grand hall.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.