Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Chrisandy

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
its confusing, Music has curated playlists of Spatial Audio, and use Abbey Road by the Beatles as an example, but if you go on that albums page, it says Lossless but not Dolby

can spatial albums NOT be dolby atmos?
I can't even get the songs on those playlists to play in Atmos but can get other songs too. What a mess.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
its confusing, Music has curated playlists of Spatial Audio, and use Abbey Road by the Beatles as an example, but if you go on that albums page, it says Lossless but not Dolby

can spatial albums NOT be dolby atmos?
I've noticed that some albums only have certain songs that are Atmos and those particular albums only show the lossless flag (which I assume is because the album as a whole isn't Atmos).

The album The Fame by Lady Gaga is an example. Only a couple tracks seem to be in Atmos (Just Dance and Paparazzi).

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
But why some old songs are in Dolby Atmos? Artists have a way to add Atmos to their songs without recording them again?

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Mate all of those don't have Atmos.. you're probably referring to Lossless. This thread is about Dolby Atmos. To be fair, even the OP mentioned Yesterday which doesn't have Atmos too.. it seems like everyone thinks Atmos and lossless are the same thing.
EDIT : Or maybe the issue is coming from my apps ? Because even browsing the Dolby Atmos playlists from Apple, I find lots of titles that aren't marked as Dolby Atmos but only lossless. Weird..

Yep. Weird. And a confusing mess. Apple digital master. Dolby. Lossless. We’ve got people listening to lossless on AirPods saying how great it is. Except nothing changed. Anything heard over Bluetooth is not lossless.

Reactions: swandy

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
It’s a gimmick, soon as it’s on the volume is much lower and sounds worse, it’s like a echo reverb effect, once you turn it off the song sounds much nicer

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
But why some old songs are in Dolby Atmos? Artists have a way to add Atmos to their songs without recording them again?

Songs are remastered and remixed all the time. For example, some of the original Beatles recording were mono but we have remixed recordings in stereo now.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
It’s a gimmick, soon as it’s on the volume is much lower and sounds worse, it’s like a echo reverb effect, once you turn it off the song sounds much nicer

It really depends on the song. There is a lot on there right now that isn’t that great but there are some songs on here where it definitely enhances the song and doesn’t sound like a simple effect gimmick. I’ve found that it also depends on the headphones that it is listened on. Listening to some atmos mixes on my AirPods is a much better experience than listening to the atmos mix through my wired earbuds through my external DAC.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Pretty much. Leaving Dolby off on phone.

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
Currently testing this out with a few songs and I have been very impressed by some but others just sound ike they’ve been mixed terribly and flat? I like the feature regardless.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
It really depends on the song. There is a lot on there right now that isn’t that great but there are some songs on here where it definitely enhances the song and doesn’t sound like a simple effect gimmick. I’ve found that it also depends on the headphones that it is listened on. Listening to some atmos mixes on my AirPods is a much better experience than listening to the atmos mix through my wired earbuds through my external DAC.
im using AirPods Pro, its horrible

thbuckland

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Blinding Lights, No Time To Die and Here Comes The Sun sound phenomenal with Atmos. On the fence with When Doves Cry, I’m definitely hearing adlibs and backing vocals that I’ve never noticed before and the guitar solo seems a lot more prominent but the balance feels a little off for me.

Not a fan of hearing more of the buried elements of Born This Way, think it sounds far better as a hot mess of noise.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Please try the album Wonder by Shawn Mendes! The depth of the music and the different layers of voice and instruments are very evident. I’ve listened to this album ever since it came out and now I’m hearing things I never noticed before!

Reactions: mattdeezy

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Please try the album Wonder by Shawn Mendes! The depth of the music and the different layers of voice and instruments are very evident. I’ve listened to this album ever since it came out and now I’m hearing things I never noticed before!

Yeah, that's pretty good!

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
So far going through some of the Atmos playlists the standouts for me have been:
The Weekend - Blinding Lights
Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On
Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am
Prince - When Doves Cry
Add Billy Idol's Rebel Yell to that list. Absolutely AMAZING.

krebphone

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
A lot of the atmos stuff is lackluster so far but try some atmos Kraftwerk, it will blow you away. Shows the potential atmos has in the right hands.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Holy **** !! Paparazzi sounds like a completely different song! Dolby Atmos is hit or miss but on certain songs it’s really obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.