Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
What, No love for my old KDF Sony TV from 2006? Oh wait Apple TV still works.

SusieQa

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
But it is only incoming airplay - can’t broadcast to HomePod or out to any other airplay devices

So as of now only LG is restricting AirPlay 2 to to its (Nano Cell - formerly known as Super UHD - and OLED) 2019 lineup.

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Perfect timing. Just bought a 75" X950G over the weekend. I thought that this AirPlay2 was already released and was driving myself crazy why I couldn't find it. Hopefully getting the update today.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the heads-up MacRumors!

I have a 75" XBR850G and have been waiting for the update. Hopefully it doesn't come with any adverse consequences.

Necross

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Wish they would make these updates to their 2017 models :( I'd subscribe to apple TV if they did. I don't have enough inputs to get the apple TV box, no room left after my cable box, xbox and sound bar. So for me it's an app or nothing

Reactions: scottlitch

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
This trend of not supporting TV's that are only a year or so old needs to stop. TV's are not something you buy and replace every year. Most people keep them for years. If my C8 doesn't get decent support during my ownership, I will be looking elsewhere for the next TV.

Reactions: Jammer005

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Have a separate AppleTV box and keep your smart tv off the internet.

It’s better for your privacy this way.

Yep - this is a trojan horse that the TV set industry is setting up, and I'm a bit surprised Apple is playing along with it.

Once you connect your "smart" TV to the Internet to get that sweet sweet HomeKit and Airplay2, well, your data will start leaking at a horrendous rate.

Most manufacturers are running at razor-thin margins, and the revenue from collecting your data - which then then sell off - is what keeps many afloat.

Vizio got caught doing this, but they all do it.

Edited to add just one link, easily found: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernar...ing-advanced-big-data-analytics/#345e5bbb3a4f

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Once you connect your "smart" TV to the Internet to get that sweet sweet HomeKit and Airplay2, well, your data will start leaking at a horrendous rate.

Most manufacturers are running at razor-thin margins, and the revenue from collecting your data - which then then sell off - is what keeps many afloat.

Wow, they want to know my watching habbits - shock horror!!

Why is "My (precious) Data" so important to anyone under the age of 35?

Its not like they get your credit card, bank account number and photo ID to freely share around the internet. I'm sure of those pople complainng about data stealing actually share more over social media/dating apps etc than any of these ruthless companies like Apple take whan I decided to play 'I Want to break free' by Queen at 7.21pm an a Wednesday evening.

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
The moral of this story is...buy whatever model TV you want + an Apple TV.

While I generally agree with that, Homekit support is a little bit more than just adding an Apple TV.

One of the most annoying things about the Apple TV is that it has no internal volume control. Using the AppleTV remote it’s irrelevant since the remote has an IR blaster and the volume buttons will adjust your TV’s volume. But if you’re using the remote on your iOS device or casting with AirPlay you need to now hunt down a remote to modify volume. With homekit enabled TV’s you can now control that stuff from your phone – allowing your phone to fully function as a universal remote.

Personally, I think the moral is to look at which manufacturers handle updates properly (eg Vizio) and buy accordingly. Why should Sony care about changing if people ignore their poor after purchase support.
[automerge]1575392626[/automerge]
How exactly is it embarrassing? TVs should never be bought for future updates. Buy the TV for the specs at time of purchase, anything else is a gift.

I would argue it's embarrassing because a little company like Vizio can backport this to almost every TV they've sold in the last several years.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Or just buy an Apple TV...
Agreed. Smart TVs are really not an alternative. They stop receiving software updates after one or two years, don't have anywhere near the same selection of apps, their UIs aren't as good, and they have been caught violating their customer's privacy.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
In the old days I could just pick a dumb tv that is easy on the wallet and I can safely ignore the smart gimmick that costs premium. Then I use the excess money toward apple tv, or roku box so that it‘s updated and supported for much longer. Or buy only the tv box if it’s already too old.

My kind of TV only had two jobs; switch on/off AND display a great picture with great contrast and inky black (plasma or OLED).

I dont need my tv to be smart. Hell I dont need my TV to have a built in speakers because I plug all my devices to AV receiver. Everytime.

Sad that today’s tv filled with crap that will stop being updated after a year or two, regardless of the price.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I’m sceptical, this might be another fake news article... remember the Apple TV app that arrived on Sony TVs?
While the news was fake, Apple TV app coming to more platforms is not. From Apple's press release:
Subscribers can watch Apple TV+ originals both online and offline, ad-free and on demand, on the Apple TV app, which comes pre-installed on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and iPod touch and will soon be on Mac with macOS Catalina. The Apple TV app is also available on select Samsung smart TVs, and will come to Amazon Fire TV, LG, Roku, Sony and VIZIO platforms in the future. Customers can also sign up and watch Apple TV+ originals on the web at tv.apple.com.
Apple told the press end of 2019 availability, but aside from Samsung, Amazon Fire TV, and Roku, Apple TV app remains missing on LG, Sony, and VIZIO.

Reactions: zv470

Treebs

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Chicago
No love for the X900F I bought last year?
I bought the same XBR 900 F
Obviously the F is a meaningful letter here. They should name it the XBR 900 FU
Evidentially 1800.00 for a tv isn’t enough for any future proofing. Realistically my Apple 4K does a better job than Sony’s crap software would do anyway.
while I’m on this thread I would like to also mention that Sony’s hdmi Dolby digital handshake has serious issues with my Apple TV.
It will work and then all of the sudden I get flickering. I’ve purchased HDMI cables that are very expensive and support the highest GBS . Anybody know why this is happening?
It’s typically while trying to run Dolby Vision at 60 hz

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
For those that have AirPlay 2 capable TV, I strongly recommend installing THX Tune-Up iOS app. The app looks outdated, but it has 5 useful patterns many of which use the iPhone/iPad's camera, to help you get more accurate brightness, contrast, color, and tint settings.

Reactions: groovyf

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Nope, 9005 and 900F don’t deserve the love in the eyes of Sony.
[automerge]1575373053[/automerge]

nope me and @seanf87 have the same tv from late 2018. We won’t get the update either.
Don't they have weaker processors though?
[automerge]1575397759[/automerge]
It’s kind of disappointing and embarrassing on Sony’s part, I have a 2018 Sony AF8/A8F which isn’t included but an Amazon Fire TV Stick has had these features added, how is a fire tv stick more capable?

How do you not see how a dedicated hardware device would be more capable than the menu of your display?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This trend of not supporting TV's that are only a year or so old needs to stop. TV's are not something you buy and replace every year. Most people keep them for years. If my C8 doesn't get decent support during my ownership, I will be looking elsewhere for the next TV.
This is why I hate the smart TV trend. Not only do devices lose support way too soon but they're also throwing advertising at us in addition to spying on our viewing habits.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Mine is a 2018 model with ThinQ and AirPlay isn't supported.

Yup, LG is the only manufacturer to add AirPlay support that *WON'T* be adding it to 2018 models. (Frickin' Vizio is adding it to TVs as far back as 2016 models! Vizio!) I hope that Apple at least adds an AppleTV app to LG's "app store" the way Disney just did, since Apple is planning on adding it to various non-AppleTV-devices soon.

Reactions: rmoliv

macbookpro13

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
For those confused why their TV is not getting the update, this update only works on Sony TVs with the X1 Ultimate chipset. That's why last year's A9F is getting it but not this year's A8G.

At any rate, I agree with those above. Just use an Apple TV (or any external streaming box) over the built in smart OS. I use an Apple TV with my A9F and a Fire TV 4K with my LG B6 and would never go back to the built in apps. They lack features and are not supported well. Not to mention the security risks of storing all of your login credentials on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.