Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
It’s more like a glorified web browser.

Apparently the update has been released in Europe. I haven’t received it yet, though.

yes and no. The update for OLEDs has been pulled and pushed back to early 2020. But it’s possible the update has rolled out for other sets in Europe now. I haven’t checked.

The Sony app is actually pretty useful. It sent a notification as soon as their was news about the OLED updates.

sidepartings26

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
It’s more like a glorified web browser.

Apparently the update has been released in Europe. I haven’t received it yet, though.

per this page http electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xg9505/articles/00236430 11th December it started rolling out. Still nothing for my XG95 in the UK.
I was in John Lewis yesterday the TV still has the same Airplay and HomeKit stickers on in store as it did months ago when I bought it - completely false advertising.

Getting sick of the “Your software is up to date” message now!

Reactions: Manzanito

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Getting sick of the “Your software is up to date” message now!

but your software is up to date for your region. Would you rather Sony rushed things instead of slow rolling it out by regions and you had it but your TV lost sound, had to be rebooted to change channel or was otherwise unresponsive? Because that’s what happened with the firmware for the AF9/AG9 and why it was pulled.

You’ll still get your update before my AF9 which is now labelled with a vague 2020.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
but your software is up to date for your region. Would you rather Sony rushed things instead of slow rolling it out by regions and you had it but your TV lost sound, had to be rebooted to change channel or was otherwise unresponsive? Because that’s what happened with the firmware for the AF9/AG9 and why it was pulled.

You’ll still get your update before my AF9 which is now labelled with a vague 2020.
Then why announce it? Specify which models can be updated as of today and be done with it. Also, provide the firmware as a download.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Sony have appalling customer service and device support. For all apples faults and the numerous iOS 13 bugs, at least they address them quickly for everyone.

Sony on the other hand. They just dither around. They must have like 1 IT guy named Ed who has frequent coffee and smoking breaks and spends more time playing class of clans on his phone than doing his job.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
They did exactly that. Announce what they were doing then start rolling it out worldwide.
English is not my mother tongue, so obviously I’m not explaining myself properly.

If a model has the firmware available I don’t know why the owner has to wait several weeks or even months, as sony themselves state in their announcement. I don’t know how rolling out works (I had an android phone five years ago and used to have to trick the thing to force the update), but if the firmware is ready (my model, according to sony, is one of the models with the new firmware available) they should at least allow me to download it via computer.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
English is not my mother tongue, so obviously I’m not explaining myself properly.

If a model has the firmware available I don’t know why the owner has to wait several weeks or even months, as sony themselves state in their announcement. I don’t know how rolling out works (I had an android phone five years ago and used to have to trick the thing to force the update), but if the firmware is ready (my model, according to sony, is one of the models with the new firmware available) they should at least allow me to download it via computer.

the firmware available for your TV isn’t out yet. Different regions models of the same TV are different internally with different TV tuners ect. It’s not like an iPhone that has one version for the majority of the world. The AF9 is different to the A9F in the US for example and they use different firmware.

sony roll out updates slowly to catch problems. You’re looking online and seeing the US Firmware is out but the UK firmware (presuming you’re in the UK) isn’t released because they’re either waiting to see if bugs are found or it isn’t ready yet.

With my TV for example the AF9. In the Us release they found bugs so halted the world wide roll out to avoid bricking everyone’s TVs over Christmas. That’s why they slow roll things out.

would you rather you could force an install for a buggy firmware that isn’t ready yet and break your TV?

wouldn’t you then be complaining about being able to download and install something and saying you wish they’d held off releasing it?

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Yep. And it’s awesome ?

6DE4E418-31B5-4882-AB97-8F779B20F70C.jpeg

Reactions: zv470

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
the firmware available for your TV isn’t out yet. Different regions models of the same TV are different internally with different TV tuners ect. It’s not like an iPhone that has one version for the majority of the world. The AF9 is different to the A9F in the US for example and they use different firmware.

sony roll out updates slowly to catch problems. You’re looking online and seeing the US Firmware is out but the UK firmware (presuming you’re in the UK) isn’t released because they’re either waiting to see if bugs are found or it isn’t ready yet.

With my TV for example the AF9. In the Us release they found bugs so halted the world wide roll out to avoid bricking everyone’s TVs over Christmas. That’s why they slow roll things out.

would you rather you could force an install for a buggy firmware that isn’t ready yet and break your TV?

wouldn’t you then be complaining about being able to download and install something and saying you wish they’d held off releasing it?
Of course I prefer the firmware is ready before rolling out. I also prefer the firmware is ready before announcing ?

Eventually sony made the firmware available on their website for my current location, and could update. Software update never showed any updates.

But finally I get to mess around with airplay, and is working good so far.

mourip

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
I have a 2020 Sony Bravia TV that supports Airplay. It works great using my wife's MacBook Air running Big Sur.

If I try to use my new M1 MacBook Air it connects but I just get a black screen on my TV.

Apple. Please work with Sony to fix this...

mourip

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Well being impatient I decided to take one for the team. I signed up for the Beta program and installed 11.3 beta on my 2020 M1 MacBook Air.

As others do I have been getting sound but only a black screen when using Airplay to mirror my screen to my 2020 Sony Bravia XBR-65900H which works great with my wife's Intel MBA and even from her iMac, both of which are running 11.2.

This is still broken in 11.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.