Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Does anyone know if you can install the US firmware in other countries? eg: Japan. We don't use the TV for broadcast TV... just for Netflix, so might work? I'm scared to try haha.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Does anyone know if you can install the US firmware in other countries? eg: Japan. We don't use the TV for broadcast TV... just for Netflix, so might work? I'm scared to try haha.

No you can’t. At least in the case of US and European firmware. The AF9 / A9F have different components inside depending on the region. It’s not just a name change they are physically different inside.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
well it was a royal pain to force the update, but its finally done and the integration is flawless. Works very well. It also appears its setup now for updates from Apple to occur in the apps and no longer require the long wait for another FW update

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Reactions: zv470

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Too bad you can't send audio from the TV out to external speakers or an airport express...this would make for a whole house audio setup to select different rooms/zones of audio from the Sony TV via Airplay 2.

You may be able to. A box pops up asking to select "Speakers and TV"...and you can select multiple. I don't have separate speakers set up on HomeKit right now to test. I'll try later. But I was able to select The Sony + Apple TV

Attachments

• IMG_2135.PNG
    IMG_2135.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 102

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
No you can’t. At least in the case of US and European firmware. The AF9 / A9F have different components inside depending on the region. It’s not just a name change they are physically different inside.
Sony Japan uses the same model numbers as Sony USA... but it's loaded with a bunch of junk Japanese apps and channels. The tuner hardware is probably different... true.

sidepartings26

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
well it was a royal pain to force the update, but its finally done and the integration is flawless. Works very well. It also appears its setup now for updates from Apple to occur in the apps and no longer require the long wait for another FW update
What do you mean it was a pain to force? How complex can it be beyond going into the menu and check for update?

odHbo

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Yes, it was a bit of a pain. My TV did not recognize flash drives formatted on a Mac. I had to use a PC to format the drive. Also you have to unzip the file on a PC to get the correct .zip file that the TV recognizes. Not the simplest process but I was able to get it done.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
What do you mean it was a pain to force? How complex can it be beyond going into the menu and check for update?

If you followed the thread you would understand that "forced" update means I FORCED it...by downloading the update and installing via USB (the update is not available yet going into the menu- if it was I wouldn't have posted the link nor would I have "Forced" the update to my TV)...I posted links and more info just a few posts back if you care to read more than one post.

sidepartings26

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
If you followed the thread you would understand that "forced" update means I FORCED it...by downloading the update and installing via USB (the update is not available yet going into the menu- if it was I wouldn't have posted the link nor would I have "Forced" the update to my TV)...I posted links and more info just a few posts back if you care to read more than one post.
Did you actually edit this to be more of a jerk. Yes I’ve memorised your personal situation, this thread is all about you. And oh how clever you were using a flash drive and unzipping something. Next level hacks

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Yes, it was a bit of a pain. My TV did not recognize flash drives formatted on a Mac. I had to use a PC to format the drive. Also you have to unzip the file on a PC to get the correct .zip file that the TV recognizes. Not the simplest process but I was able to get it done.

For anyone else, you don't have to go through all that trouble of using a PC. Use Disk Utility to format the USB drive as FAT32 with Master Boot Record. Also, turn off Open "safe" files after downloading in Safari preferences. Once the primary Zip file is download, double-click the zip file to unzip the actual firmware "zip" file. Then copy that to the USB drive.

Reactions: digitalfx and zv470

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Sony have now pulled all mentions of OLED models form the official Android 9 Pie announcement. All mention of OLEDs is gone and they've also pulled the firmware download from the Sony US A9F /A9G pages. Kinda worrying. Maybe they found a bug?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00230463
Yeah interesting, could be a problem with the update?... I would rather they pull the update if there is a problem.

I think there should be a post about this on front page, on macrumors.com

Reactions: CBlakeston

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Mine was updated to 9 with the update that gave us Airplay 2
It seems the update you have has a few kinks with sound glitching, HLG HDR not working with the tuner and having to reset the TV to fix issues.

on the plus side for UK users.. this is why they stagger updates I guess. Sony support have confirmed their engineers are working on fixing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: zv470

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Well crap, I just updated and realized I can’t use airplay because the TV is hard-wired. Good thing I have an Apple TV connected.

Weird, but my TV is connected via ethernet, but no issue connecting my iPhone via Wifi

Last edited:

jc2

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
I have a 75" Z9F. I installed the update. In the update description it said HomeKit. But, I couldn't find HomeKit anywhere after restarting. I emailed Sony tech support and they told me only the following have HomeKit support:
  • XBR A9G Series
  • XBR X850G Series
  • XBR X950G Series
  • XBR Z9G Series
:(

kegan forbes

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
michigan
not like this will be seen but the a8f and a8g will be getting the airplay/homekit update its just going to be a few months till its pushed out. this means that others that run on the same chip are likely to get it as well around that time. heard this directly from a sony employee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.