Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Extremely annoying problem. Some Googling shows similar issues across multiple iOS versions. Never experienced by me until 13 and now 13.1.

Problem: while typing, keyboard clicks literally vary in sound up and down. If starting low, will be louder by the end of the sentence. Text message, email, and phone call alert sounds have variable volume as well.

Things not affecting the issue or not helping:
- Speaker grilles not covered by fingers;
- Is regardless of "change with buttons" volume setting;
- Not fixed with restarts or hard reset;
- No volume settings anywhere changed between noticing different volume between keyboard clicks or any given alert;
- This iPhone 11 Pro was set up as new.

Playing music functions as expected.

Cannot yet identify how to reliably reproduce. Am typing this on phone, and the keyboard click volume was quiet at the start of this sentence and is noticeably louder by mid-sentence.

Could turn off keyboard clicks, which doesn't address the problem, as the issue is also that not even alert sounds are at consistent volume. One text notification sound will be loud; the other, 50% that. Incoming phone calls ring at different volumes without me changing anything.

Any troubleshooting or fix suggestions welcome. Very irritating problem.

Last edited:

JBryan84

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Having similar issues, iPhone 11 pro, did not set up as new though. I restored from a previous backup from 13.1 beta 4. I’m having weird issues not receiving text message or iMessages on random occasion. I’ll be on my phone using it and my Apple Watch will vibrate and shows the text but no notification pop up on iPhone or in Notification Center. Have everything enabled correctly as well. Hopefully next beta or update fixes these random sound issues and my text notification issues.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Unfortunately, iOS 13.1.1 today did not fix this. Still can't find a way to address.

mamut

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
hmm, this is my post from another topic, I think it's the same issue?

''
This happens only on my 11 Pro, not on my XS, I have enabled ''change with buttons'', tried with enabled and disabled

When I am on home screen and i change volume, that volume doesn't affect keyboard typing, iphone lock sound, or notifications. It only affects ringer volume.

I need to go into some application, for example voice memos, and there I set up my volume bar that will affect my notifications or keyboard clicks

I hope that you can understand my issue
biggrin.png

on XS when I change volume on home screen, that is for ringtone, notifications, keybaord/lock sound

(tried phone restart, iOS 13.1.2) ''

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Still present in iOS 13.1.2. As some have mentioned above and as I've seen online, this issue has been present in various iOS versions -- anyone experience it in the past and find a way to fix?

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Have tried repeatedly adjusting the volume in every place it should affect alert / notification / keyboard sounds (microphone for dictation, Siri) as well as toggling on/off the relevant sound settings separated by restarts.

Doesn't change anything. All notification sounds continue to vary in volume.

I'm at a loss. Only thing left is a complete wipe of the phone - but on a brand new phone set up as new?

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Just keeping track: neither iOS 13.1.3 nor a settings reset fixed this. Apple support suggested it could still be a hardware problem when I asked them, though unclear to me how that would be given sound otherwise works as expected (music, etc).

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
so if it's hw issue, we should replace our iphone?

That seemed to be the implication from the rep, though it isn't clear to me why this would affect only alert sounds with texts/mail etc, or keyboard clicking, and not volume of media streamed via Safari or music via the Music app.

Markib1121

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
I e had the same issues with my iPhone 11. I am now on my third new device in the past 3 1/2 weeks. And I’ve spent the better part of my life on the phone with apple to try to fix this issue. We’ve done everything imaginable to fix this issue. I was at the apple store for approximately 3 hours today that resulted in a new phone ... this being the 3rd. Apparently, I am supposed to live with it because the two week refund time has come and gone. Even though I e been on the phone with them the entire time and 3 trips to their store. I officially call uncle. I want my life back. I am so close to getting a go-phone and considering drinking.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I e had the same issues with my iPhone 11. I am now on my third new device in the past 3 1/2 weeks. And I’ve spent the better part of my life on the phone with apple to try to fix this issue. We’ve done everything imaginable to fix this issue. I was at the apple store for approximately 3 hours today that resulted in a new phone ... this being the 3rd. Apparently, I am supposed to live with it because the two week refund time has come and gone. Even though I e been on the phone with them the entire time and 3 trips to their store. I officially call uncle. I want my life back. I am so close to getting a go-phone and considering drinking.

Interesting - weird that such a problem has come and gone over multiple iterations of the iPhone and then three iPhone 11 trials with you.

I was hopeful that iOS 13.2 released a few days ago would address this. It doesn't. I'm out of ideas and cannot seem to figure out why this happens.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
For what it's worth, I also realized that despite new SMS and new mail having two discrete alert sounds chosen, and me reselecting them, new mail is playing the new SMS sound. Unsure if has some bearing on this or how to fix. Hard resets and "reset all settings" doesn't.

Markib1121

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
Interesting - weird that such a problem has come and gone over multiple iterations of the iPhone and then three iPhone 11 trials with you.

I was hopeful that iOS 13.2 released a few days ago would address this. It doesn't. I'm out of ideas and cannot seem to figure out why this happens.

I was hoping it would be fixed also. Sadly, I have one more additional glitch and none taken away. My backlight keeps going dim. Even though all the settings are set to keep it from happening. Every time I pick up my phone I have to adjust the back light. there are so many things wrong with this phone. I really want my iPhone 7plus back. It worked far better than this one even though I had to keep it plugged in all the time because of the draining battery. ?‍♀️ Here’s hoping the next update will benefit us with these issues.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
this is apple’s way of telling you that phones making noises like tamagochi are a bad, annoying thing. it belongs in the 90s

get a wearable and get over this nonsense.

Exley

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
I've been having similar issues since I got my new phone. I originally got an iPhone 11 and swapped it for an iPhone 11 Pro. Both behaved the same way, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. Currently on iOS 13.3 beta and the issue is better but still there.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I've been having similar issues since I got my new phone. I originally got an iPhone 11 and swapped it for an iPhone 11 Pro. Both behaved the same way, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. Currently on iOS 13.3 beta and the issue is better but still there.

Interesting, thanks. Noticed yesterday's iOS 13.2.2 didn't affect anything and was thinking about doing a complete restore of the phone to troubleshoot, but sounds like that may or may not help?

Exley

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Worth a shot. I set my iPhone 11 up from a backup of my iPhone 6 and my Pro from the backup of the 11. If it was something screwy in the backup it could have been copied from phone to phone.

Setting my media volume and ringer volume to similar levels seems to have helped a little too. Might be something to try. From my experience it still isn't solved 100%. More of a band-aid

Last edited:

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Worth a shot. I set my iPhone 11 up from a backup of my iPhone 6 and my Pro from the backup of the 11. If it was something screwy in the backup it could have been copied from phone to phone.

Setting my media volume and ringer volume to similar levels seems to have helped a little too. Might be something to try. From my experience it still isn't solved 100%. More of a band-aid

Last approach I can think of is the nuclear option of DFU restoring and not carrying over anything backed up. Easy to do in my use case -- but this phone wasn't set up from a backup either. Go figure.

Wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for things as simple as new texts / phone calls / emails varying in volume. Hardly a horrible bug, just annoying.

Potentially related: can anyone speak for the mail app not respecting the chosen sound alert? Mine seems to be stuck on one (bamboo) no matter what I try, or choosing and unselecting that, or setting reset, or hard reset. Weird.

ren911

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
I also have noticed this!

I take it no one has found a solution?

It's surely got to be a software fault and not hardware?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.