Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamshadighi

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2021
Extremely annoying problem. Some Googling shows similar issues across multiple iOS versions. Never experienced by me until 13 and now 13.1.

Problem: while typing, keyboard clicks literally vary in sound up and down. If starting low, will be louder by the end of the sentence. Text message, email, and phone call alert sounds have variable volume as well.

Things not affecting the issue or not helping:
- Speaker grilles not covered by fingers;
- Is regardless of "change with buttons" volume setting;
- Not fixed with restarts or hard reset;
- No volume settings anywhere changed between noticing different volume between keyboard clicks or any given alert;
- This iPhone 11 Pro was set up as new.

Playing music functions as expected.

Cannot yet identify how to reliably reproduce. Am typing this on phone, and the keyboard click volume was quiet at the start of this sentence and is noticeably louder by mid-sentence.

Could turn off keyboard clicks, which doesn't address the problem, as the issue is also that not even alert sounds are at consistent volume. One text notification sound will be loud; the other, 50% that. Incoming phone calls ring at different volumes without me changing anything.

Any troubleshooting or fix suggestions welcome. Very irritating problem.
Facing the same inconsistent keyboard click and alert volumes in my new iPhone 12 running ios 14.7 which I've set up as new. Switched from android after 6 years and this is really annoying. Did anyone actually find any solution to this finally? Did ios 15 fix this?

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Facing the same inconsistent keyboard click and alert volumes in my new iPhone 12 running ios 14.7 which I've set up as new. Switched from android after 6 years and this is really annoying. Did anyone actually find any solution to this finally? Did ios 15 fix this?

iOS 15 (then 15.0.1) on iPhone 13 Pro - same intermittent keyboard click volumes here. Wish I knew what the issue was. Have to assume some underlying iOS bug as has persisted across several generations of devices, several clean or carried-over installs, and several major iOS revisions.

Reactions: shamshadighi

cat_

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
guys, here it is

i got my iphone 12 in october 4th, and i realized this issue almost 2 weeks after that

at first i thought it was a just a bug and it would stop after a while but it didn’t

so i started searching for a way to fix it

and the conclusion that i have is that- there’s no way to fix it ? you have to accept and move you

i tried to fix this issue at home, i called apple support and they tried to help me but nothing worked (the last two guys i talked to told me to go to an apple store or to an AASP to get help and to try a restoration before that

I tried to restore my iphone twice through itunes (1st with the backup and 2nd without, but the 2nd time my phone wasn’t able to finish that (???) it crashed in that screen with loading bar and apple logo, then after 3 hours i gave up, so i tried to just restart my device and i didn’t work cause it got stuck in DFU mode

it leaded me to AASP anyway, i left my iphone there to a restoration and for them to check the sound issue

they told me they fixed but when i arrived to pick up my iphone it wasn’t actually fixed ? the issue is actually kinda of difficult to realized (i realized only after 2 weeks after i bought it so i don’t blame them)

when i told them that it wasn’t fixed they took my device again to check it, they notice the problem and they tried to find out what was that about and tried to fix it, but they couldn’t

they even took their own iphone to compare and their iphone was normal, it was a iphone 11, so they took another iphone 12 that was there to compare and it had the same problem, I said that this problem happened in another models and not only in the 12, so it wasn’t related to the model of the device

but they told me there’s no way to fix it

they offered to change the back of the iphone and see if it would work, but it would take more time and as they weren't sure if the problem was going to be solved and i didn’t know if the warranty was going to cover that repair I didn't want to

cause i really need my phone to work and study, and none of the people i “know” that have or had the same issue managed to fix this problem

they couldn’t exchange my device for a new one too, cause it doesn’t fit into apple warranty

this is very sad and frustrating

they don’t really know what is this about, what it causing this and most important- how to fix it

but that’s it guys, i’ll need to accept and move on as i said before, i just turned off the click and lock sounds and i’ll have to keep it like this

this iphone was expensive and i literally bought it less then one month ago

i advice everyone that is going through this problem to do the same thing, cause the stress is not worth since there’s no way to solve this

hope you guys are ok ❤️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.