Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Whats the consensus on battery life? Is it really worse even when nothing is running in the background?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
PSA: You all have backed up your SHSH files, right?

If Apple patches for Spirit, and stops signing 3.2, and you then have anything go wrong and need to restore your firmware, you won't be able to JB again until the next jailbreak is released.

Once Apple stops signing 3.2, backing up is not something you'll be able to do after the fact--you'll in effect be shut out of the candy store, probably until 4.0.

lonman06

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
Whats the consensus on battery life? Is it really worse even when nothing is running in the background?

I have been running the jailbreak since it's come out. Today was my first full day of testing it. It's been off the charger since 9am and has experienced heavy use all day. Right now I'm at 45% so I really haven't noticed any difference in battery life and I have had at least one app running in the background the whole time. I do have SSH turned off as I know that will drain your battery if it is left on. Maybe some of the people who are experiencing battery drain haven't turned theirs off?

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
PSA: You all have backed up your SHSH files, right?

If Apple patches for Spirit, and stops signing 3.2, and you then have anything go wrong and need to restore your firmware, you won't be able to JB again until the next jailbreak is released.

Once Apple stops signing 3.2, backing up is not something you'll be able to do after the fact--you'll in effect be shut out of the candy store, probably until 4.0.

How do you check if it's been successful? I did it before I jailbroke, but other than the notice in FirmwareUmbrella, I haven't had any proof that it's actually backed up.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010

Jailbreaking shouldn't have ANY effect on the battery life...it's the apps/processes themselves that would eat up battery life...like if you have Backgrounder running or things like that. At least that is my understanding.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I have been running the jailbreak since it's come out. Today was my first full day of testing it. It's been off the charger since 9am and has experienced heavy use all day. Right now I'm at 45% so I really haven't noticed any difference in battery life and I have had at least one app running in the background the whole time. I do have SSH turned off as I know that will drain your battery if it is left on. Maybe some of the people who are experiencing battery drain haven't turned theirs off?

Thanks for the advice. The battery on my iPhone drained a little faster than normal today but nothing alarming. Just realized SSH has been running the whole time. Hopefully shutting that down will help a little. I'm honestly not concerned though, considering all I kept hearing about how battery life is so terrible. It's only slightly worse with the JB!

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Thanks for the advice. The battery on my iPhone drained a little faster than normal today but nothing alarming. Just realized SSH has been running the whole time. Hopefully shutting that down will help a little. I'm honestly not concerned though, considering all I kept hearing about how battery life is so terrible. It's only slightly worse with the JB!

What is this SSH thing you guys keep saying should be shut down? If that if you installed an SSH app or?

With my jailbroken iPhone, I have noticed increased battery life and increased heat from the phone. It never used to heat up unless I was using it for 20+ minutes of talking or surfing the web. Now even after a minute conversation is will be warm. I have SBSettings, Backgrounder, Proswitcher, Front Contacts and CyDialer installed.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
What is this SSH thing you guys keep saying should be shut down? If that if you installed an SSH app or?

With my jailbroken iPhone, I have noticed increased battery life and increased heat from the phone. It never used to heat up unless I was using it for 20+ minutes of talking or surfing the web. Now even after a minute conversation is will be warm. I have SBSettings, Backgrounder, Proswitcher, Front Contacts and CyDialer installed.

SSH is only running if you've installed an app like OpenSSH (I use it to access the phone's file directory from my Macbook).

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Whorehay said:
How do you check if it's been successful? I did it before I jailbroke, but other than the notice in FirmwareUmbrella, I haven't had any proof that it's actually backed up.

Depending on your OS, it may have stored a local file as well. On osx it saves it to the same folder umbrella ran from.

I *think* when cydia is less hammered, you will see a status of your saved shsh files at the very top of the app (if you run cydia from your device and look at top of screen you'll see the placeholder text). There are probably other ways but I'm more of an informed neo than an expert. :)

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Sorry I was referring to SBSettings beta

Btw- now available on Cydia and is working fine on 3G
Toggles phone and 3G work.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
How, exactly, do you do that??

Take a look at this thread, then see the last page for some comments on performing the steps on an iPad (it's basically the same).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/886278/

This is a non-invasive procedure that's basically insurance for your future ability to jailbreak.

Even folks who think they MIGHT want to jailbreak someday should do this. If you're not 100% sure you'll never change your mind, you should do this.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
The placeholder text is gone and now my iPad is showing that my 3.2 SHSHs are on file. :D

(green text above "welcome to cydia" for the jailbreak newbies)

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    341.4 KB · Views: 151

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Anyone know if Cydgets work with iPad?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but tried searching for it and did not find any relevant posts.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Two dumb questions.

I will only want to jailbreak my iPad 3G for a short time.

What is the best way to restore?

Does MiWi work on the iPad 3G?

Thanks.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
The placeholder text is gone and now my iPad is showing that my 3.2 SHSHs are on file. :D

(green text above "welcome to cydia" for the jailbreak newbies)

Did you use Umbrella or go through Cydia? I did both options on umbrella but as of yesterday I didn't have that message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.