Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The recent beta update adding DLSS3.5 boosted my framerates in New Atlantis from 50-75 to 110-135. FSR3 is coming at some undetermined point in the future.
Did this just happen automatically or did you have to adjust any settings? I’ve been away from my gaming computer for the last week, so been playing “0ther” on my lesser travel PC.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Did this just happen automatically or did you have to adjust any settings? I’ve been away from my gaming computer for the last week, so been playing “0ther” on my lesser travel PC.
Sounds like they are using Frame Gen which should double the framerate...

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I turned on DLSS (to DLAA), and enabled Frame Generation. According to Hardware Unboxed this patch also increases performance in general, using more of both the CPU and GPU. Frame generation doesn’t double the frame rate, but it does boost it by about fifty percent. It’s so smooth now, I wish it had been this way from the start.

In other news,
I lost Andreja to Scorpius. Sad day. 😔

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I came back in here specifically to find this thread. I have about 45 hours in on my Starfield save now and continue to be blown away by the game as well as utterly shocked by how flawless performance has been streaming it on GamePass. Microsoft is on to something here both with this new IP and with allowing access to AAA first party titles via a browser with virtually zero hardware requirement. This is the way of the future. But I digress......

There are so many reasons I shouldn't like Starfield. In general I have a good time with Bethesda games, but I found Skyrim to be utterly boring and depressing, and I have really gotten sick of the Bethesda formula over the years. Starfield very much sticks with that formula, yet I can't get enough of it somehow. Maybe it's just been too long since I've played a good open world RPG like this.

And yet Starfield didn't get nominated for Game of the Year at the Game Awards

Like I'm not expecting it to win but the fact it didn't at least get nominated is really suspicious

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Every time someone bumps this thread I want to start a new playthrough. 😂
I’ve got a long way to go before I finish the game, but I’ve also been playing Uncharted, The Talos Principle II, Baldur’s Gate, and Phantom Liberty, so it’ll take a while.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I turned on DLSS (to DLAA), and enabled Frame Generation. According to Hardware Unboxed this patch also increases performance in general, using more of both the CPU and GPU. Frame generation doesn’t double the frame rate, but it does boost it by about fifty percent. It’s so smooth now, I wish it had been this way from the start.

In other news,
Wat is the uplift without DLSS or FramGen?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

In other news,
So you have to go turn this on, or does it default enable?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I don't recall it being the default, but it's easy to change either way. The only thing you *have* to do is opt in to the beta, at least for now.

Reactions: Huntn

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit - while I can easily understand the frustration with loading screens or seamless gameplay, I don’t find those dealbreakers. Where I think the game could be better is backstory and scale - I’d have cut back on the number of worlds, and increase the size of the cities and space stations. Imagine a habitat in orbit around a star that has no habitable planets, but itself is miles in diameter, has dozens of square miles on the interior, zero-gravity docks, etc. I’d also have put in a much greater variety of spacecraft - not everything needs to look like it’s made for human transport between systems. Why not depict, say, a robot freighter with a vast solar sail slotting into orbit to drop off a payload of helium-3 or refined metals?

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit - while I can easily understand the frustration with loading screens or seamless gameplay, I don’t find those dealbreakers. Where I think the game could be better is backstory and scale - I’d have cut back on the number of worlds, and increase the size of the cities and space stations. Imagine a habitat in orbit around a star that has no habitable planets, but itself is miles in diameter, has dozens of square miles on the interior, zero-gravity docks, etc. I’d also have put in a much greater variety of spacecraft - not everything needs to look like it’s made for human transport between systems. Why not depict, say, a robot freighter with a vast solar sail slotting into orbit to drop off a payload of helium-3 or refined metals?
Agreed. This game has such huge potential, but the single worst element in my opinion are companion interactions. They are awkward as hell not compelling or intriguing at all, just stilted, labored, and awkward. Yes, it was a different time when Fallout 4 was released, when I could connect the dots, add my own imagination and enjoy the company of a companion. I fully expected some huge advances in this area, but companions and crew members are embarrassingly stagnant. Sarah and Andrea annoy me. I have yet to travel with Sam Cole.

The ships are decent, but I agree they are a bit restricted in design as what I imagined there might be before starting , and I really can’t forgive the game for its ship design mechanism. Just like the UC simulator which is a good idea, there should be a ship design simulator that allows you to plan and design a ship, and walk inside it , without having to spend your money and complete it to finish the design. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Mackilroy

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have Balder’s Gate 3 on my list to pick up when it’s on sale and I’m in a position to play it in a timely fashion.

Does BG3 have interesting companions? If you want to hear some repetitive moaning about Starfield companions, flash back to Fallout 4: As I said a different time, interactions were limited to short scripted conversations, yet for the time I liked what it offered. By virtue of questing together, companions would grow fond of you without conversation, as eventually they would confide in you about a personal issue, tell you their story, and if you were sympathetic, you’d volunteer to help them. I loved it and if they love you, they would sleep with you (no animations of mutual affection) you’d get a buff, and sometimes they’d make a saucy comment.

CyberPunk 2077 was a step forward, where companions would ask you over to spend time with them or their family and do something casual, eat dinner, play with nephews, or get into a romantic relationship with them. I loved that. These companions have gender identity so you can’t romance everyone you may want to, male and female.

Jump to Starfield, a mostly repeat of the Fallout 4 companion structure, which feels very dated now, companions who you can’t discuss choices or options with them, explain your motives to them, they either accept what you do, or if bad enough run screaming into the distance, yelling “I can’t accept this!” It really should be an embarrassment to Bethesda, who either ran out of time, had some deadline, or inconceivably thought that the Fallout 4 structure is good enough for today. And as I recently said, I don’t like the first two companions I’ve picked. Now you can romance and marry several companions, I’ve not gotten to the marry part, and it’s likely that I won’t at this point at least not with these first 2. I’m playing a woman, and plan on checking out Sam Cole. :)

IMG_3081.jpeg

I read that Marika Boros is the best non-romanceable companion. It says she is easy going, non-judgemental, and a good fighter. and I just hired her at The Viewport, New Atlantis, Jemison (Alpha Centauri Star System).. I’ve got 2 persuasion and talked her hire price down significantly. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Homy

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
BG3 absolutely has better companions than Starfield does. It's well worth even full price, but playing it after a sale is worthwhile still. Agreed about Marika, I recruited her early on and took her on plenty of missions. Speaking of which, I just completed the main storyline. I'd guessed that something like the ending would happen, but only because of some novels out of left field that feature a similar concept (albeit how it's done is quite different).

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
You can certainly travel alone if you desire - there’s even an in-game bonus for doing so.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't want companions in my games. I just want my gear, villians, and victims.
In a solo game, I prefer company, and look forward to running into my first (intriguing) AI personality, although it may portend the end of the world as we know it. 🤔

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ship Building- It feels like a lot of work. It is well worth it IMO to not reinvent the wheel and follow along with some of the good ship build guides on line. There is only so much you can do, only go so big, and at least in my experience, with (what I describe as) a misery income earning environment, and a some what restricted build system, you may not want to experiment with your hard earned $$, figuring out the ship build system, but learn from others, and see how to get it right the first time.

And another option is give your self the income for the express purpose of ship building which can run $500k, although you will kill your achievements by doing so, that is if you care about achievements (I don’t :)) Even so, there are hardware restrictions based on the level of your character and I would never advocate changing your character’s level. I mean there is a reason, I’m playing, a challenge as I want it.

Player Home- I opted for the player home, offered as one of the start options. It’s a nice house, in a nice secluded location. I paid off the $100k mortgage, have visited it several times, dropped loot there, but honestly, it’s not as convenient as my Fallout 4 Hot Springs settlement, located right next to Santuary (F4 ref). In Starfield things are so spread out, your home is off by itself, so you purposely have to go there. You can build an outpost next to it. I’ve not yet built an outpost so, as I imagine it, the primary attraction, might be to furnish and decorate it. I'm up in the air regarding the player home. Would you go there and hang out with your companion, friend, girlfriend, boyfriend, or spouse?* Can you throw a party there? 🤔

* This is one of those things, when you as a player see potential, but the developer goes half way, it’s almost a tease. I predict when AI hits the scene it will make something like a player home, a lot more interesting.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I've been staying off this thread to avoid spoilers, but I'm about 50 hours in and figured it's time to stop by. I’m having a lot of fun (especially combat in low/zero gravity situations - wheeeee!), but I’ve got a lot of the same complaints that others here have already voiced. I really enjoyed Skyrim and spent a bunch of time with it, so it’s not surprising that I’m enjoying StarField too.

But Skyrim is over a decade old, and StarField didn’t feel like the big leap I was hoping it’d be. I’m not much of a gamer so I’m never playing the latest titles on the latest hardware (I rocked a 1060 for a loooong time), but armed with a shiny new 4070 I thought I’d pay full retail for a change and prepare to be blown away. Perhaps it’s my fault and I was expecting too much, but as @Huntn said, the dialog options and NPC interactions are essentially unchanged from Skyrim. Lots of things are *very* similar. It’s prettier sure, but man, you had 12 years Bethesda!

Nonetheless, it definitely scratches all the same ‘do whatever the hell you want’ itches that made Skyrim so much fun (and repayable) for me. :D

Reactions: Huntn and txa1265

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been staying off this thread to avoid spoilers, but I'm about 50 hours in and figured it's time to stop by. I’m having a lot of fun (especially combat in low/zero gravity situations - wheeeee!), but I’ve got a lot of the same complaints that others here have already voiced. I really enjoyed Skyrim and spent a bunch of time with it, so it’s not surprising that I’m enjoying StarField too.

But Skyrim is over a decade old, and StarField didn’t feel like the big leap I was hoping it’d be. I’m not much of a gamer so I’m never playing the latest titles on the latest hardware (I rocked a 1060 for a loooong time), but armed with a shiny new 4070 I thought I’d pay full retail for a change and prepare to be blown away. Perhaps it’s my fault and I was expecting too much, but as @Huntn said, the dialog options and NPC interactions are essentially unchanged from Skyrim. Lots of things are *very* similar. It’s prettier sure, but man, you had 12 years Bethesda!

Nonetheless, it definitely scratches all the same ‘do whatever the hell you want’ itches that made Skyrim so much fun (and repayable) for me. :D
When comparing titles, I found myself completely immersed in Skyrim and Fallout4, but while initially wowed with Starfield, I’ve found I‘m not as immersed, but I’m moving forward with the story, I will finish the game, but if I analyze myself, I think it is a matter of expectations on my part regarding my interactions with AI characters, and a social model structure based on a decade old RPG, maybe older, has gotten incredibly stale. While riles me most is a greeting from my shipboard crew members inviting me to talk, and if I stop to talk, there are the same old 4 all ready talked about subjects, with the exact same lines of dialog. Stale! Instead I walk by them and mutter “fu Bethesda”. ;) AI could turn this around, especially if you could start talking to characters with your mic. 🙂

Reactions: dmr727

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Probably a daft question. Could i sign up to XBOX Game Pass Ultimate, and play Starfield using cloud gaming on my Imac 2017 using bootcamp?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.