Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Probably a daft question. Could i sign up to XBOX Game Pass Ultimate, and play Starfield using cloud gaming on my Imac 2017 using bootcamp?

doubtful on the processor but isn't it offered in xbox cloud? you can just stream it.
Steam from cloud ifvan option, sounds feasible…butbI don’t know.

Minimum
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7-6800K
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Ti
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: 125 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: SSD Required(Solid-state Drive)

Reactions: madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
doubtful on the processor but isn't it offered in xbox cloud? you can just stream it.

someone on my football forum pointed out I can just stream it to my tv as I have a fairly new Samsung tv which has xbox app built in. its not perfect, it judders a bit during combat, but its playable.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Now it's "Mostly Negative".

This is valid. However, I have zero issue with some of the procedural generated environments, they are gorgeous, but I will acknowledge that some of the planet explorations can feel repetitive when you come across duplicate facilities which feel more like filler, and that target facilities are the only real thing to hit on a planet. Surveying planets is a bore fest without something to discover that wows you and leads you into an unexpected adventure. NOPE, so far.

Repeating myself… The main failing of this game is that although the voice acting is top notch, and the visuals are a step forward, as compared to previous titles, the game is mired in decade old quest mechanics and NPC character interactions. The environment looks so good that I expect to walk up to anyone, especially if they throw out this big friendly greeting, and have a conversation with them about any variety of topics. NOPE.

To be fair, I experienced the same issue in Cyberpunk 2077, and was disappointed there to. I had a girl friend, who had an apartment, but there was zero reason to hang out at her or even my apartment. These environments can appear almost real, but because of the limited interaction, you are quickly jarred into realizing how shallow these “simulations” are.

In Starfield, I’m undercover, infiltrating the Crimson Fleet for the UC. I make frequent trips to the UC Vigilance, to report back and the interior of this ship is an embarrassment. One corridor to a control room, with one scripted interaction with the admiral (whatever rank he is) and his assistant. I just think as they improve the environment, they have to improve social interactions or players will not be happy. I won’t be happy.

I predict the first game to successfully integrate AI into characters, with the ability to zing off in multiple conversational directions could be the ultimate in cool or bloat. I realize that players may not want to be mired in extended conversations about nothing, but want to stick to the point of progressing quest objectives. But what with the advances in environment, there must be advances in communication and conversations, not a list of 4 topics, when cycled though, you are done, but more dynamic interaction. I even expect you’ll end up talking to characters though your mic, then look out. 🤔

Reactions: Mackilroy and Homy

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
OK, something happened to me. I don't know if I can play Starfield any longer, there is just something that is grating at me about the story. I was currently working on the Crimson Fleet quests and I'm just not feeling this game any longer. Ask me about it in a week or two... :oops:

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I haven’t touched the game since I beat the main story; I’ll get back to it at some point, but I’m playing more Factorio at the moment.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
OK, something happened to me. I don't know if I can play Starfield any longer, there is just something that is grating at me about the story. I was currently working on the Crimson Fleet quests and I'm just not feeling this game any longer. Ask me about it in a week or two... :oops:

Curious - how many hours do you have in it? I have two characters going - one Freestar and one UC - and still haven't actually been completely through a questline (let alone the main one). I may have 55 hours of time in? I'm still having fun, but I get the sense that once I complete the big stuff, I won't feel a huge pull to jump back in later.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Curious - how many hours do you have in it? I have two characters going - one Freestar and one UC - and still haven't actually been completely through a questline (let alone the main one). I may have 55 hours of time in? I'm still having fun, but I get the sense that once I complete the big stuff, I won't feel a huge pull to jump back in later.
235 Hours for me. There is a disconnect, I'm feeling a suspension of disbelief that is broken. When I played both Fallout 4 and Skyrim (was doing a replay of Skyrim just before Starfield), I felt truly enamored and engaged with the factions. I liked them, liked being around them. Here in Starfield, the factions feel forced/empty, the UC does not give my any warm and fuzzies, the Lodge is just as empty, the Crimson Fleet is blah...Delgado annoys me. ;)

As far as companions, (repeat complaint) both Sandra and Andreja annoy me too. I've said the right things to "romance" them, but the conversations feel stilted and artificial, and Andreja really annoys me when she is always saying "it's good to be back on our ship" even when it's not our ship ;) or Gideon Akar, asking "how's it going boss?", basically being invited into conversations where there is none to be had.

What I'm thinking is that those other games provoke an emotional response in me that is lacking here, but it's also that I think I anticipated an evolution in character interactions, but instead, everything is so freaking shallow. I've recruited Marika Boros, and although she expresses enthusiasm to see me, she just like all the other crew members are basically empty place holders. :(

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
235 Hours for me. There is a disconnect, I'm feeling a suspension of disbelief that is broken.
I've not been around too much, so there's been a lot of talk that I probably missed.

I've sunk 280 hours into the game, or is it 380, I'm not sure. There's a lot I like in the game, but the more I played the more it seems broken.
This was billed as the skyrim in space, but in skyrim, you're rewarded for not fast traveling, you get to visit really cool places, pick up interesting side quests, meet a lot of different NPCs, learn a lot of different things via the books lying around. In Starfield, there's none of that. Go to a planet, and you land by one place, there may be cave, but there's nothing in it. there's nothing in any caves. Want to look at that abandoned facility on the planet, sorry you can't walk there - you need to fast travel.

Powers - in skyrim, you get your powers by visiting so many cool places, dungeons, castles mountain tops. Each with its own unique challenges. In Starfield, you visit the same copy pasta temple doing the same exact action, flying through a grouping of stars 5 times. The powers themselves are for the most part lame.

What is the worst for me, though is the constant load screens, doing the ryujin quest line, the first few have you running around on Neon, but you hit load screen after load screen.

There's a lot I like of the game, though it doesn't sound it from my ranting, but its no skyrim or fallout. I've actually put the game down until the next bug fix, and I did a play through with Fallout 4 and Outer Worlds.

I'll pick the game up, its fun, but right now it seems a but too grindy for little to no benefit.

• Love

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's what I mean about loading screens - I don't like the quest "All that money to buy" because of game mechanics and loading screens, yet I fired up Starfield and did that quest. I did the first part, leading up to buying the artifact.

That first section of the quest had 15 loading screens. That's intolerable. I'm getting on an elevator, having a brief conversation, getting back on the elevator, going to the Astral lounge, having a brief conversation, going to the vip lounge (loading screen), hacking a terminal, going back down to the astral lounge, leaving the astral lounge, etc etc.

The other reason why I don't like this quest is when you sneak around, and you have stroud in tow. 99% of the time, he causes us to be seen by the guards. I've given up on sneaking on that part and just bull rush through the building

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Starfield would have benefited from DirectStorage, or perhaps less object persistence for fewer loading screens.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here's what I mean about loading screens - I don't like the quest "All that money to buy" because of game mechanics and loading screens, yet I fired up Starfield and did that quest. I did the first part, leading up to buying the artifact.

That first section of the quest had 15 loading screens. That's intolerable. I'm getting on an elevator, having a brief conversation, getting back on the elevator, going to the Astral lounge, having a brief conversation, going to the vip lounge (loading screen), hacking a terminal, going back down to the astral lounge, leaving the astral lounge, etc etc.

The other reason why I don't like this quest is when you sneak around, and you have stroud in tow. 99% of the time, he causes us to be seen by the guards. I've given up on sneaking on that part and just bull rush through the building
I loved the open environment in previous Bethesda titles, see that mountain, climb that mountain. Now this still exists on Starfield when running around on the surface of a planet until you enter most buildings, but I’m not sure how far you can actually run on the surface of a planet. I noted the comment about having to fast travel to get to a specific point on the map. For anyone who has not played, and if I am recalling this accurately, you can sit in your ship while parked on a planet, and fast travel directly to a spot on a different planet.🤔

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
For anyone who has not played, and if I am recalling this accurately, you can sit in your ship while parked on a planet, and fast travel directly to a spot on a different planet.🤔
You recall accurately.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC

I'm running through that quest now on a different playthrough, and although I never really thought about the loading screens before, after reading your post I can't unsee them. :D There are tons!

That said, how long are the loading screens for you? I have Starfield running on a fast NVMe N.2, and the screens really aren't terrible for me - maybe a couple of seconds each.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't unsee them
Sorry about that :eek:
That said, how long are the loading screens for you? I have Starfield running on a fast NVMe N.2, and the screens really aren't terrible for me - maybe a couple of seconds each.
I did some informal timings, and it seems not all load screens are equal. Sometimes, I see a few seconds (elevators ), going into ebbside, took about 13 seconds, but going from ebbside back to neon core, about 4 seconds. Takeoff animation almost 30 seconds.

Either way the load screens are immersion breaking, since you have to stop and start. What annoys me the most is that inability to fly your ship down the planet and around the planet, like no mans sky. Its more of a fast travel mechanism

Reactions: dmr727

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Either way the load screens are immersion breaking, since you have to stop and start. What annoys me the most is that inability to fly your ship down the planet and around the planet, like no mans sky. Its more of a fast travel mechanism

Absolutely. I've never been a fan of animated sequences anyway, especially when you can't cancel them. The slo-mo stuff in Skyrim used to drive me nuts.

Anyone else accidentally press the action key ('e' by default) longer than intended while flying around in your ship?

"Hahaha! Suck it Spacer Raccoon...now let me just circle around and loot your debris field...."

"NO! Dammit! Don't get up out of your seat. Noooooo!"

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I'm running through that quest now on a different playthrough, and although I never really thought about the loading screens before, after reading your post I can't unsee them. :D There are tons!

They aren’t long for me, but they could be shorter.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The one thing that seems odd, not hugely annoying or anything, just odd. When you start the NG+ play through you get to keep your skills (that's nice), but no weapons, no money, no components. You start over with zero inventory.

YET you get a new ship and a new spacesuit (which admittedly is cool). Where did those items come from if you're starting over?

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
The one thing that seems odd, not hugely annoying or anything, just odd. When you start the NG+ play through you get to keep your skills (that's nice), but no weapons, no money, no components. You start over with zero inventory.

YET you get a new ship and a new spacesuit (which admittedly is cool). Where did those items come from if you're starting over?
That's explained in the story pretty well I thought.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm doing an NG+, where I skipped the main quest and I'm focusing my time on the side quests. I've largely enjoyed the side quests over the main quest anyways. With the side quests underway, I'm opting for a completely evil play through. I stole something to get drafted by the UC SysDef to infiltrate the Crimson fleet (instead joining the vanguard).

The first assignment where you need to kill the former member or warn the Astraea - I blew it out of the sky, Ikabe was pissed at me.

I then killed the galbank executive on the Sirens of Stars (everyone on that ship turned hostile and I had to shoot my way out of it), Ikabe was going to arrest me, so I shot my way off the UC Vigilance and of course SysDef is now hostile to me. I'm interested to see how this questline plays through now.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Mackilroy and Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.