Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Not sure if anybody has seen these, but there are two Kickstarter projects that are offering USB-C to Lightning cables. They are only capable of charging though, so it doesn't eliminate the need for the adapter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ler-double-your-charging-speed?ref=nav_search

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...allest-keyring-cable-on-steroi?ref=nav_search

Monoprice also has a new USB-C to USB adapter that looks interesting, it gets rid of the cable: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10330&cs_id=1033001&p_id=13507&seq=1&format=2

Yeah, I ordered the Monoprice adaptor, which looks to be 3.0, which is nice. Most of the USB-C to USB-A cables I've seen so far are just 2.0. Will report how it fares after I get it on Monday.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Not sure if anybody has seen these, but there are two Kickstarter projects that are offering USB-C to Lightning cables. They are only capable of charging though, so it doesn't eliminate the need for the adapter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ler-double-your-charging-speed?ref=nav_search

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...allest-keyring-cable-on-steroi?ref=nav_search

These are not USB-C cables - as far as I can tell, they are normal Type-A.

These "keyring" type charging cable projects are dime a dozen on Kickstartet. I remember seeing something very similar over a year ago.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
These are not USB-C cables - as far as I can tell, they are normal Type-A.

These "keyring" type charging cable projects are dime a dozen on Kickstartet. I remember seeing something very similar over a year ago.

Those are USB-C. They have an option for it.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Reactions: tantantheman

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Someone in the macbook forum noticed this as well.
No reviews yet - looks too good to be true IMO

Ahboyd

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Thought I would share this finding, I think a lot of you guys would be interested in. The bad news is that I can't find where to buy!

Here is the original link http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/13040754/USB_3_1_Type_C_Interface.html

cfc0.jpg

cfa5.jpg

69fc.jpg

9db9.jpg

6936.jpg

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Looks pretty awesome! They also have renderings of Lightning to USB-C cables.

Looks like all just nice renderings though, couldn't find anywhere to buy them either. But one could enquire via that site...

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XUIHV7E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I ordered this one. It doesn't look as good as the other one but I plan to connect it directly to the charger and use the 6ft apple charging cable from the hub to the rMB so I don't even see the hub. the price isn't too bad compared to other ones.
This is one with 3 usb3 contacts and usb c charging output but I believe they have other ones as well.
Has anyone else got this one? Does it work as expected?
I just checked the site and noticed they are only available from june 20. Mine was sent straight away.

MVPinFLA

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Boynton Beach, FL
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XUIHV7E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I ordered this one. It doesn't look as good as the other one but I plan to connect it directly to the charger and use the 6ft apple charging cable from the hub to the rMB so I don't even see the hub. the price isn't too bad compared to other ones.
This is one with 3 usb3 contacts and usb c charging output but I believe they have other ones as well.
Has anyone else got this one? Does it work as expected?
I just checked the site and noticed they are only available from june 20. Mine was sent straight away.

I hope it works, since that is the one I want. It must be selling well, since the price increased $2 since yesterday.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I hope it works, since that is the one I want. It must be selling well, since the price increased $2 since yesterday.

I am sceptic myself. Some of the reviews on Amazon are more than a year old. I thought usb-c was a completely new type, not a year old.

Japanmac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2015
Japan
I am thinking of getting a new Macbook and would like the latest situation on the USB C.
I know from my iPhone 6 they require only Apple lightning cables, how is it with this new USB C ?(since its not Apple as such)
Can I effectively buy any one on Amazon or should I pay more and get it from Apple?
Thank you for any advice and I apologize if this has been asked before

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I want the Hub+

Not only is it nicer (in general), but it's got a detachable cable. This is important to me, as this way you can decide it's position.

Frankly, i'm not liking everything i'm seeing now. Junk.

Although, in a pinch :)

Japanmac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2015
Japan
Hhmm? I think I might play safe and get the Macbook Air 13". A bit bigger but still light and has more options. In my lifestyle all said and done, I wont travel all that often

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I want the Hub+

Not only is it nicer (in general), but it's got a detachable cable. This is important to me, as this way you can decide it's position.

Frankly, i'm not liking everything i'm seeing now. Junk.

Although, in a pinch :)

I read somewhere that usb c goes both ways. So even the cable is short and not detachable, you can decide to have the short end into the charger or in the rMB. It's up to you to decide it's position.
I agree they don't look very good but I don't have to look at them (when I put the short end in the charger).

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I think as long as you buy an adapter from a good source (apple, Amazon, Google etc) they'll be fine.

I got the MacBook despite not travelling much. I just didn't need the power of the pro.

nc11

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
No issues with 3rd-party cables. Got a couple of USBC>USB adapters/cables and working well. Also, the amazon-branded lightning cable has no issues with IP6.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
The thing with Lightning cables is that they require a chip in the cable, which can have added security as in Apples versions. USB has no such thing and is thus both cheaper and simpler to make.

nc11

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
Okay, first I've heard this. In terms of charging and data sync, no difference between the Apple and Amazon cables for me...

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I read somewhere that usb c goes both ways. So even the cable is short and not detachable, you can decide to have the short end into the charger or in the rMB. It's up to you to decide it's position.
I agree they don't look very good but I don't have to look at them (when I put the short end in the charger).

Let us know if that works, and thanks for the post. I hadn't thought of that, so when I read your post I looked at the link you posted, an others that pretty much say the same thing. They say that that USB-C port is for charging. They don't say if it's also data. At least the HUB + goes into detail about this.

I will continue to Google this. See if I can dig up more info.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Let us know if that works, and thanks for the post. I hadn't thought of that, so when I read your post I looked at the link you posted, an others that pretty much say the same thing. They say that that USB-C port is for charging. They don't say if it's also data. At least the HUB + goes into detail about this.

I will continue to Google this. See if I can dig up more info.

So you mean you have to connect the short cable to the rMB because that 's the one to transfer data and charge and you can't put it the other way round?
That would be bad news but I let you know as soon as I've got it. (eta 18/6- 6/7 says Amazon)

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I should hope it isn't to unreasonable to expect more of a variety of hubs and dongles, considering that it's a standard. But then again, who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.