Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pandarama

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
France
Interesting, got a good design, nice ports (HDMI :p) but still too expensive (and a little big). But seriously the design is a bit Apple, good thing.

sangalang

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
Very impressive!
Thank you for sharing, though I probably won't be getting one as it doesn't look very portable...

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I preordered ... mainly for my work desk ... will make a nice connection hub. this would not replace a Hub+ product but complement it!

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
**** October! :(

Awesome though.

As far as it being big (ok, HUGE), having some bulk may be a good thing for a stiff USB-C cable of the 3'-6' variety. I'm a huge fan of small (hence the MB :D ), but not a big fan of Hubs that skitter around all over the place. I mean, having a hub that's lighter than the cable is not going to stay put.

Don't know

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
No displayport. They were so close.

If I wanted a peripheral that would do HDMI + charging, I'd just buy Apple's solution. The OWC has everything else I might possibly want - more than a few USB 3, ethernet, SD card, a trusted mfg.

HDMI only kills it though, for me.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
No displayport though - so disappointing.

They were so close to having the perfect dock. It's from a trusted and well known name in the community, it has a wealth of USB 3, it has ethernet, it looks good - but HDMI only for video output just kills it for me.

If I wanted to pay that money for a device that did HDMI I'd just buy Apple's dongle + a USB hub. Give me a real video port, and not just crippled, dimwitted HDMI!

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
No displayport though - so disappointing.

They were so close to having the perfect dock. It's from a trusted and well known name in the community, it has a wealth of USB 3, it has ethernet, it looks good - but HDMI only for video output just kills it for me.

If I wanted to pay that money for a device that did HDMI I'd just buy Apple's dongle + a USB hub. Give me a real video port, and not just crippled, dimwitted HDMI!

You could always use the USB C port for displayport, I agree that a dedicated mDP port would have been better.

The best part of this dock, is that it does not require you to use your MB charger, so it saves you from buying a second charger.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
No displayport. They were so close.

If I wanted a peripheral that would do HDMI + charging, I'd just buy Apple's solution. The OWC has everything else I might possibly want - more than a few USB 3, ethernet, SD card, a trusted mfg.

HDMI only kills it though, for me.
I would have preferred DP as well but how many monitors have DP but not HDMI?

ZXMustang

macrumors member
May 16, 2015
lol seems legit to pay the same for this rMB as a base rMBP and have way less performance and then you have to buy the dock on top of it. Yeah....lol

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
You could always use the USB C port for displayport

I suppose that might work - the question is whether that stack gets broken when you plug in the dock. I have a feeling that since HDMI is present, it breaks the displayport part of the stack off at that port - similar to how you can't plug a displayport adapter in to a hard drive at the end of a thunderbolt chain as displayport gets broken off at the last device that has it. Methinks a USB-C to DP adapter wouldn't work with this dock.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Wouldn't shock me if the next Macbook Pro comes with 2 or 3 USB-C ports and nothing else, and Apple releases something like this alongside it. Look at all the suckers (myself included) that spent incremental money on the stupid $80 adaptor for Macbook. It's only natural for them to do it to thin down the MBP too, but that they'd have to in-house a dock\adaptor or people would be livid.

JoePa2624

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
AZ
I love seeing all of these hubs/accessories that are being released for the rMB! We definitely have many good choices already.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
I'm not buying anything like this until it's on the market and professionally reviewed. I'll support art on Kickstarter, but not hardware. Similarly, I won't order hardware four months before release.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
I'll take version 2.0. The slimmer, cheaper, more compacted design.

Until then, I'll figure out if I actually need one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.