Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

facrat

macrumors member
May 15, 2015
This definitely looks like it would fit more securely than the Kadi, given the slight extension under the body, and seemingly with less strain on the USB-C port, although I'm still not entirely convinced that this kind of design is really safe against knocks and bumps.

Slimmer profile and charging indicator are also very nice. Shame it doesn't have mDP rather than HDMI though!

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Also, there's a large discrepancy among the different products as far as funding goals. Why does this one need 50k and the Kadi 15k? Last I checked the USD and AUD exchange rates were at 0.75...

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Also, there's a large discrepancy among the different products as far as funding goals. Why does this one need 50k and the Kadi 15k? Last I checked the USD and AUD exchange rates were at 0.75...

Maybe 5K for the actual development, the rest goes into their pocket. That's how alot of Kickstarters are. Most of the money requested go into unrelated expenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyopicPaideia

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Nice to see a new hub, but man, is it huge?
Pictures say more than words:

usbc_color_gray_sd.jpg

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I would have preferred DP as well but how many monitors have DP but not HDMI?
Basically all have HDMI these days, but you can't always use HDMI to drive the full resolution. As an example, all the new 34" 21:9 displays have HDMI, but results seem to vary on whether or not folks can drive the full resolution on HDMI alone, that's why I'd prefer to see mini displayport. I can adapt miniDP to just about anything, I can't adapt HDMI to sh*t.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Google and Belkin already offer USB-C-to-DP cables, so IMO USB-C/DP cables are a non-issue. What is an issue is this product is fugly, with a capital "F".

This product won't be out for at least 4 months, so there's hope other manufacturers will come out with alternatives.

zettabyte

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
Hmmm.....To be or not to be.....I'm using a powered USB 3.0 HUB now, but it's just not the same....I wonder how these hubs will perform....

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

The developer of the Kadi port claims to have other funding sources.

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Branch looks like its supported by the MacBook's body with the larger base on the bottom and some tabs on the top. The KADi looks like a lot of force would to transferred to the USB-C port...

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Kadi just released an update - they redesigned a bit, and shock, are delayed. I cancelled my pledge. I think I am done with kickstarter solutions. Frankly, I am getting by fine without any port expansion for now. I am just going to wait for the Anker hubs - they are smaller and more attractive than the Apple ones...

m4rk87

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2015
Hi guys, what about the hub from juicedsytem? looks the best one so far to me, but I've never heard anything from that brand

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
Kadi just released an update - they redesigned a bit, and shock, are delayed. I cancelled my pledge. I think I am done with kickstarter solutions. Frankly, I am getting by fine without any port expansion for now. I am just going to wait for the Anker hubs - they are smaller and more attractive than the Apple ones...

A kickstarter project delay is hardly surprising. Haven't seen any from Anker, or any, that supports display (and by display I really meant VGA), so my hard-earned cash are still up for grabs.

Hi guys, what about the hub from juicedsytem? looks the best one so far to me, but I've never heard anything from that brand

Again, no display, I will pass. The pre-order system is kind of suspect as well. It might be wise to look elsewhere.

facrat

macrumors member
May 15, 2015
Note that after today's update, mDP is to be offered as the default instead of HDMI:

Well, we have gotten a huge amount of feedback from both backers and non-backers and they have stressed the importance of Mini Display over HDMI. We will be changing the HDMI port to Mini Display and will provide the Mini Display to HDMI adapters for FREE to all early bird backers.

mDP is not a major change and in fact simplifies our design quite a bit so we are not going to change the shipping date.

We will have models and will be providing some evidence of our progress in the next few days.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...itted-usb-c-hub-for-new-macbook/posts/1265037

For me this is a good thing, as I have more need for mDP than HDMI :)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

Branch already fronted the cost to manufacture and deliver by July 31, as they stated....so they know the EXACT cost.

Perhaps KADI is hoping for more followers but set the fund level low to be funded even if its not enough. The KADI level seems really low.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

No display port. Not form fitted. Careful to order the one with USB-C power.

facrat

macrumors member
May 15, 2015
Branch already fronted the cost to manufacture and deliver by July 31, as they stated....so they know the EXACT cost.

Perhaps KADI is hoping for more followers but set the fund level low to be funded even if its not enough. The KADI level seems really low.
Yeah, I've cancelled my Kadi pledge now as it seems a bit all over the place and the latest low-res renderings don't inspire much confidence. The Branch team seems more focused and professional, so I'm sticking with them for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.